VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Avast free antivirus for about a year or two now and I'm very happy with it. But recently I've been getting PC blue screen/crashes at startup. I've noticed the couple of times I was able to boot into Windows and do my web browsing and other computer use, it seemed to enable Avast just at the time it would usually crash.

When it would crash, Avast would still have the caution sign on it in my system try because it is still updating or opening the program at startup. So this made me believe that it was possibly Avast causing my PC to crash because of all the other things I've tried. Sure enough I boot into safe mode, uninstall Avast, and here I am with no problems.

It's for sure not a hardware failure because I spent all day yesterday testing my hardware and I haven't installed any new programs. I was gaming the night before and doing my usual web browsing and I shut it down that night but then I woke up and tried to boot getting the crashes. Also not a failed overclock because I cleared cmos setting everything back to default.

I'll go check the avast forums and shut down and boot up a few more times just to be sure. Any ideas or any of you hearing similar stories please let me know, thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Could be a bad update. Not sure. I'm not having any problems with avast on xp, vista, and win 7 machines. Checking the avast forums is probably a good idea. Hopefully they can help you diagnose the problem.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. maybe a bad update like freebird73717 said.try a a different AV like Avira for testing
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I hope you figure out what the problem is. But if you don't check out avira free. I've seen mja post instructions on how to disable the nag advertisment it has.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Uninstall Avast, run CCleaner and reinstall Avast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before I do Avira let me do what hech54 suggested. I recently uninstalled avast and ran ccleaner because I wasn't able to update it for some reason..

I hope 3rd times the charm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Avast has it's own uninstall utility
    http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
    Quote Quote  
  8. Run the uninstall utility in safe mode, reboot, and install fresh. I haven't had any issues on XP or Vista since the first run of glitches when Version 5 first came out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Two boots and it seems to be good. I have to leave the house for a while so I'll shut down and see if it boots up just fine when I get back.

If not then I'll just switch to Avira and see if the problems continue. Its a good av, I have it on my other two PC's running Win7 64bit and XP Pro 32bit.

I'll post back with any problems. Hope I don't have to though
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how do you get rid of the nag screen in Avira
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by BJ_M View Post
    how do you get rid of the nag screen in Avira

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm
    Quote Quote