VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have a lot of footage shot on a Canon HF S11 that I can't view on my Sony Vaio with Windows 7. I first tried to download the footage with Windows Live Movie Maker, but nothing would import. I then had someone download the footage with a MacBook, and then I copied the files onto an external HDD; they're now QuickTime movies. When I try to open those files, I can actually get audio with Windows Media Player, and I get absolutely nothing with the QuickTime player. I've tried converting the files to .avi or .wmv with the ImTOO MOV converter and I get audio, but no video. Some other converters (VoltaicHD) won't even open the files for conversion. I checked with Canon to see if maybe driver downloads for the camera might give me some codecs that I need, but they say Win7-64 doesn't need any additional drivers. Any clues as to why the .mov files can't be read?

Thanks! - nojiri
    Last edited by nojiri; 14th Jun 2010 at 10:09. Reason: spelling fix
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please use media info on the file and post the results so we can better try and assist you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC will probably play it but your Pentium III probably won't. Think Core2 Duo or better. Also, a display card with PureVideo-HD or AVIVO-HD.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lowellriggsiam View Post
    Please use media info on the file and post the results so we can better try and assist you.
    Thanks lowellriggsiam. Here's media info on a test clip: (I've tried viewing it with QuickTime Player 7.6.6 with no success)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TestClip-01_MediaInfo.gif
Views:	2465
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	2284  

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    VLC will probably play it but your Pentium III probably won't. Think Core2 Duo or better. Also, a display card with PureVideo-HD or AVIVO-HD.
    Hi edDV,
    Not sure why you thought I had a Pentium III. My Vaio is running Core i5 M540.
    When I try to play it with the latest version of VLC, I get audio but no video, and an error massage that says it doesn't support this type of 'icod' file.

- nojiri
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I just found some posts on a Google search that state that it's impossible for a PC to read 'icod' (Apple Intermediate Codec) files in that state, and for me to be able to view them, I'd have to use a Mac with FCP or QuickTime Pro to convert them to PC-friendly files (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/466800-convert-icod-pc-friendly-codec.html). Unless anyone else has any newer info or solution, I guess that's my only recourse.

Thanks - nojiri
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tryed one the latest codec pac`s ? Say K-Lite codec pack 6.0.4 which you can download from

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Im not saying its the best but ive been able to play 99.9% of all videos and music including apples quicktime files,blueray etc all in windows media player 10 for xp.Any versions after 10 where infected with drm to stop you playing these types of files.Or use Media player Classic latest version that comes with the codec pack.Plus make sure you dont have vlc on the same pc other wise it clashes with the codec pack.

hope it helps

p.s this was done on win7/64bit pc
    Last edited by NICEBUD; 14th Jun 2010 at 10:36.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm pretty sure that camcorder use h.264 for video, not apple intermediate codec. You must have converted them. You should be able to play files directly from the camcorder on your Windows computer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nojiri View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Hi edDV,
    Not sure why you thought I had a Pentium III. My Vaio is running Core i5 M540.
    When I try to play it with the latest version of VLC, I get audio but no video, and an error massage that says it doesn't support this type of 'icod' file.

- nojiri
    Hi again edDV,

I just realized that my user profile was 4 years old , when I was still using a Pentium III. Sorry about that.

- nojiri
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I'm pretty sure that camcorder use h.264 for video, not apple intermediate codec. You must have converted them. You should be able to play files directly from the camcorder on your Windows computer.
    Hi jagabo,

When I tried to import the files with Windows Live Movie Maker, they wouldn't download for some reason, so a friend of mine downloaded them with his MacBook. When he did that, the MacBook automatically turned them into ICOD files. I had to try something to import the files, because the camera is now being used at another location and I no longer have access to it. Why I couldn't download them directly from the HF S11 I don't know, but unfortunately it's not anything I can do anything about right now.

Thanks, - nojiri
    Quote Quote  
  11. AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) isn't compatible on QT for Windows at all. But your original camcorder files are
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by nojiri View Post
    When I tried to import the files with Windows Live Movie Maker, they wouldn't download for some reason
    You should be able to copy (drag and drop) the files from your camcorder to a folder anywhere on your drive. Importing them into WMM is a problem if you don't have a DirectShow reader/splitter for the file type (MOV? MP4?) and audio and video decoders (decompressors) for whatever codecs are used in the files. Haali will probably get you the file reader/splitter. ffdshow will probably get you the decoders you need.

Originally Posted by nojiri View Post
    so a friend of mine downloaded them with his MacBook. When he did that, the MacBook automatically turned them into ICOD files. I had to try something to import the files, because the camera is now being used at another location and I no longer have access to it.
    I think you're screwed until you can get the camcorder back or get someone with a Mac to convert the ICOD files to something Windows can read.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I think you're screwed until you can get the camcorder back or get someone with a Mac to convert the ICOD files to something Windows can read.
    How right you are. Well, here's how it turned out, and the important lesson I learned. It would have been a huge pain to find someone with QT Pro or FCP on a Mac they could loan me for a couple of days to do all the conversions, so I just made the long, 4-hr. trip to access the camcorder. Ditched WLMM and just dragged and dropped the AVCHD files from Canon's "Stream" folder and they all read natively now in Win7 . So now I know- as soon as a Mac downloads files from an AVCHD camera, it turns them into AIC (icod) files (even though the file extension reads ".mov"), which are impossible for a PC to read without a Mac with QT Pro or FCP first converting them to PC-friendly files. I'll never do that again .

Thanks for the help. - nojiri
    Quote Quote  
  14. Too bad you had to go to such great extents to get the original videos.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I had exactly the same problem. I put the files into Handbrake using the normal profile. After this I had both audio and video, but my question is whether this downgrades the video quality
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just how attached are you to windows media player/movie maker? Other players work with .mov files just fine. SMPlayer and VLC are the ones I use, in that order.

I don't hate microsoft like many other linux users, but I can't understand why their media software is so bad.

BTW I strongly suggest not installing codec packs. It says specifically in the microsoft tech support site that you should not install any 3rd party codec packs on a windows 7 system. They remap your registry and can cause your system to be unstable. I never had big problems but judging from many threads here it's a real concern, and it's one of the reasons I switched to ubuntu. Linux won't let you pull that crap.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes, the files will play in VLC. (btw, how does VLC do it without installing codecs?)

However, the issue for me was that if I couldn't play it, i couldn't edit it. Neither Premiere Elements or Cyberlink Power director worked. After putting the files through Handbrake, I was able to do so. My concern was that Handbrake might be transcoding with degradation in quality. However, as the original camcorder was not available to me, I had no other choice
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by wdjonesabc View Post
    how does VLC do it without installing codecs?
    VLC, like most other third party media players, has built in source filters and decoders for most common containers and codecs.
    Quote Quote