VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How do you rent your movies?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I go the local video store on wednesday when all selections are $2.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Netflix and my local library.

My town doesn't have a video rental place. Ahh the joys of living in a rural area....
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My community doesn't have a single regular video rental store left, and it is a suburb of a medium-sized city. I use Redbox, a DVD vending machine/kiosk.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Blockbuster Online. I get Blu-Ray discs only. No complaints from me, they've been okay.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The liquor store in my town is bigger than the video rental shop. So I go to the library and its cheaper too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix! Also doing live streaming from Netflix from my Panasonic BD85 Bluray player as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix (2x DVD + online delivery), local library and Redbox when on the road.

I've rarely used Comcast Pay Per View. Prices seem excessive.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix and the local library. You should really check the library as they usually have a lot of classics. Somewhat scratched at times, but still worthwhile. My library also has quite a few VHS movies that are a bit rare at present. I also use Netflix streaming.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix is the 1200 lb. gorilla in rentals, yet does not merit its own voting entry ?

My main gripe with them is that a week does not go by when I fail to find several titles of interest that they don't have. (Even though their selection greatly exceeds what competition they have.) No longer having access to some specialized rental outfits in L.A. -- like VIDIOTS in Santa Monica, VIDIOTHEQUE in West L.A., or Eddie Brandts in N. Hollywood -- has forced me to dive deep into the waters of the internet, in search of the out-of-print, foreign region, and hard-to-find.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No Netflix here, the library doesn't have DVDs, and the one local video rental place is crap and expensive. So I buy used DVDs for 50 cents in flea markets and download. The randomness of it gives me a few interesting discoveries.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Netflix is the 1200 lb. gorilla in rentals, yet does not merit its own voting entry ?
    Online delivery is good enough for netflix entry.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. When I rent, (which is very rare), I go to the local Blockbuster. It's about the only video store left, around me. I most often buy at dollar stores and discount stores where they sell "previously viewed" DVDs. I can usually find something, sometimes very recent movies for slightly more than the price of a rental, and then it becomes part of my library rather than having to be returned.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  14. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Blockbuster Online, with free in-store rentals as well. No complaints here
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    redbox
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I missed this one.

For awhile in the fall I resigned up with netflix and liked the online streaming with my xbox 360 a lot. But that was before the expected roll out for 5.1 audio streaming. I have since dropped netflix but may start up again.

For now I am not renting much. But when I do its either through zune marketplace on the 360 or the playstation 3 store. In fact I'm downloading the expendables in hd for rent on my playstation 3 right now.

I also have rented on amazon unbox and purchased donwloads on amazon as well. I have bought one or two on itunes but only to convert with tunebite after the purchase since I don't have a apple tv or ipod (though my pc is connected to my tv but having a dvd is so much more universal and portable than the htpc route - mine isn't networked to any other rooms so if I want to take it with me its either dvd or my wdtv gen 1).

I do occasionally do use blockbuster or the public library. However the vast majority of the time I usually just buy the dvd/bluray if its a movie I really like. I only rent for those that I'm curious about and/or never saw in the theater when they were first out - like expendables that I'm renting now.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Netflix.

Comcast wants to stop people from streaming Netflix. We see.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I still appreciate the joy of actually looking in a video store
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should be multiple choice...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about another choice? I wait for them to come on one of the premium movie channels I subscribe to on FIOS.
    Quote Quote  
  21. A combination of Netflix and XBOX/PS3 movie download rentals. Although each has their problems. I've received numerous BR discs through Netflix that were cracked along the edge of the discs and unplayable. You would think they would start shipping blu-ray in protective plastic carriers?!?! XBOX/PS3 downloads were good up until a few months ago. Now it seems my ISP (Time Warner Road Runner) has throttled the download speed to certain servers, including XBOX and PS3 video marketplace. Yet when I do a speed test, everything checks out fine, and Time Warner claims my connection is fine.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I go to my local video store called family video, but it replaced movie gallery
    Quote Quote  
  23. Netflix. Streaming is being closed captioned now & boxes that support that are out, Wii, Ps3, Boxee. Roku & others should support them this summer.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't tend to rent anymore. The number of video rental stores is shrinking, as is the selection in those left, and we don't really have a good equivalent to Netflix here (Fatso and CASPA don't really count!), and our ludicrously low data caps mean that large-scale streaming isn't really feasible.

I have 5 movie channels on pay TV, and a hard-drive DVD recorder hooked up to my set-top box. I record quite a bit of what looks interesting, and to be honest no longer have vast amounts of time to watch all the TV I record anyway. The backlog means that between the recordings on the hard drive, and those I burned to disc (-R or -RW) but haven't got to watching yet, I usually have 100-200 accumulated films to pick from whenever the mood takes me. If I added in the ones recorded for the GF that I have no real interest in (the things we do!), the total is considerably higher.

Next stage of the plan is to improve the setup. Have purchased a WD Live Hub for the living room and a WT TV Live for the bedroom. Longer-term plan is to get a NAS box (circa at least 8TB), encode films that are keepers to a compressed format, and have my very own streaming library. Now all I need is the time to watch it..............
    Quote Quote