VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am mounting my 50" flat screen on wall above gas fireplace. What value priced HDMI cable will perform best running in wall 12'-15' to Direct TV DVR in book case???
    Quote Quote  
  2. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    anything from monoprice will work fine at those lengths. No need to spend $100s on monster cables
    Last edited by Denvers Dawgs; 13th Jun 2010 at 09:48.
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with Denvers Dawgs, I once read an online article that said HDMI cables are moslty all the same. Personally, I wonder if the human eye would notice a difference in Monster Cable vs a generic brand. Price difference is definitely huge.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by V Bot View Post
    I agree with Denvers Dawgs, I once read an online article that said HDMI cables are moslty all the same. Personally, I wonder if the human eye would notice a difference in Monster Cable vs a generic brand. Price difference is definitely huge.
    With a digital connection, the human EYE wouldn't see a difference, but the human MIND would see one.
    Placebo effect is very powerful. Many companies rely on this to sell $2 cables in $5 packaging/advertising for $100.
    Quote Quote  
  5. HDMI cable for up to 15 ft would not suffer much signal loss so you can use any type. www.Monoprice.com is a good choice for the price. The quality HDMI cables are very thick and stiff, it would be very hard to lay it from fireplace to your AVR. I suggest first buy a flexible one with mesh and see how it works if it didn't perform well allocate it to a PS3 and buy another one. You always need a spare anyway for camcorder or a playstation. While you are ordering don't forget couple of HDMI adapters because they are just a few Dollars and come in handy like 90 deg or adapter for connecting to computer video card or the small HDMI for camcorder etc and you save on shipping ordering individually.
    Quote Quote  
  6. First have a big fire & put a thermometer above your fireplace. Make sure it doesn't get more than 100 deg as that is the operating limit for TVs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which magazine done a review of hdmi cables here in the UK and the outcome was there is no difference between a £10 cable from Tesco (think wallmart if tesco doesn't exist) and a £100 cable from Belkin to quote"The answer is an emphatic no for HDMI leads. Amazingly, our expert viewers saw no difference at all in the picture quality when using the Tesco Value lead (£9.97), the John Lewis lead (£19.50) or the Belkin lead (£99.99), with our technical tests confirming that their performance was identical.
    I got ripped off myself for £50 when they first entered the UK,the last lead I bought was £4.50 , I have 20/20 vision and I can't tell the difference
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fatbloke88 View Post
    Which magazine done a review of hdmi cables here in the UK and the outcome was there is no difference between a £10 cable from Tesco (think wallmart if tesco doesn't exist) and a £100 cable from Belkin to quote"The answer is an emphatic no for HDMI leads. Amazingly, our expert viewers saw no difference at all in the picture quality when using the Tesco Value lead (£9.97), the John Lewis lead (£19.50) or the Belkin lead (£99.99), with our technical tests confirming that their performance was identical.
    I got ripped off myself for £50 when they first entered the UK,the last lead I bought was £4.50 , I have 20/20 vision and I can't tell the difference
    There will never be a difference "in picture quality" since this is a digital connection. What you will see for inferior HDMI/DVI cables is pixelation from timing errors caused by high frequency attenuation or timing pulse reflections. This is more likely to happen in longer >15 ft (3m) cables. Higher quality cables will have heavier gauge copper and better shielding for noise rejection.

Certain connection modes require the cable to meet HDMI v1.3 or v1.4 spec.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For good flexible, 'in-wall' rated ones Bluejeanscable's Series-F2 is great. They're great for any cables. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote