VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm not sure if this goes here. My question somehow might involve multiple subjects. You'll notice it after reading it.

I got some mp4 (and .mkv) files that I'd like to add subtitles to, then burn it to a DVD. However, tool of choice is WMM which doesn't support mp4. At first I thought of converting to something supported by WMM, then while researching I learned I'd lose some of the good quality of mp4. Suddenly I imagine multiple possibilities in front of me. I guess it is a matter of finding alternate tools. Using another way to edit it, or converting it to a format supported by WMM without losing much quality. *sighs* ... only if I could find the files to those subtitles; they exist already (english), but I have no idea how or where I could find them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The_Forastero
    Last edited by Baldrick; 13th Jun 2010 at 03:36. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You risk losing quality whichever route you choose - the videos have to be converted to MPEG-2 for a DVD-Video disc, and any conversion causes a drop in quality (whether or not it's an acceptable drop is your call). Converting it so that WMM will accept it means that it'll likely end up being converted twice.

You might try AVS2DVD or even the commercial ConvertX2DVD. I'm not sure of their quality (I usually just watch AVIs on my DVD player, rather than create a DVD-Video disc), but you should be able to import an external subtitle file for use with your video. (Not sure about .ass/.ssa-format subs, though.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like convertx2dvd, it does a wonderful job. But what about the subtitling? Should I insert that first or later? Or what'd be the smartest thing to do?

Thanks,
    Quote Quote