VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi-

Someone gave me a DVD of my band's performance. When I tried to watch it I was unable to view it on my TV's dvd player so I popped it into my PC. That failed too, giving me the message "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD. The disc was created in a manner the player does not support". I'd like to view this but cannot seem to find a (cheap or free) software that will enable me to do this. I read that Daniusoft can import HD video and convert it, but it will not recognize the files in the HVDVD_TS folder. What can I do to view this?

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try the free VLC player. It has all the usual codecs included.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ed-

Thanks so much. That worked like a charm! Can you tell me if there is a convenient way to take the video and convert it into a format that I can import into Windows Live Media so I can make youtube clips from it?

Thanks again. Your suggestion to use VLC was excellent! I really appreciate it.
    Rich
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richlather View Post
    Ed-

Thanks so much. That worked like a charm! Can you tell me if there is a convenient way to take the video and convert it into a format that I can import into Windows Live Media so I can make youtube clips from it?

Thanks again. Your suggestion to use VLC was excellent! I really appreciate it.
    Rich
    I'd need to know what format (container and codec) the video is.

Can you post a short sample of the video?

Otherwise, VLC can analyze while playing. See "Media Information" under Tools and cap the result screens.

A second way is import the file into Mediainfo software. Also a free download. Then post the result.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks again.
    Here's what I found under the VLC tools/media information/codec details screen:

Stream 0
    type: video
    codec:mpgv
    resolution:720x480
    display resolution:720x480
    frame rate:29.970029

Stream 1
    Type: audio codec:a52
    Channels:Stereo
    sample rate:48000 Hz
    Bitrate: 192 kb/s

Please let me know if this is the information you need or if I need to look elsewhere and thanks again for your valuable time and advice. Its very much appreciated.

Rich
    Quote Quote