VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Does anyone know if the Philips Bluray BDP2500 player supports playback of .mkv files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you change end of the filename to avi, then it can play those mkv files. I already sucsessfully flashed my bdp2500/12 to bdp3000/12 and now it plays mediafiles from usb, but the small philips display can not show normal text (you can still use info button from remote control). Everything else works as before

Service manual for 2500/12
    http://www.upload.ee/files/835807/philips_bdp2500_sm__ET_.pdf.html

Service manual for 3000/12
    http://www.upload.ee/files/835814/philips_bdp_3000_sm__ET_.pdf.html

As you can see from service manuals, both players use same main and power board and share mt8520 chip. bdp2500/12 just has less features. To flash bdp3000/12 firmware to bdp2500/12 just rename bigger bdp3000/12 bin filename as bigger bdp2500/12 bin file and use it with original bdp2500/12 smaller bin file. All other steps to flash are as usual. I used same version firmware files from both players (latest right now is 1015.1). NB! It is your own risk to crossflash philips bdp2500/12 and i am not responsible for unsucsessfull flash.

My first post

MarxVeix
    Last edited by marxveix; 6th Oct 2010 at 16:17.
    Quote Quote  
  3. This may be quite risky. I f*cked up a philips player flashing just like that. Flashing 2500 to 3000 may be ok, but DO NOT try with other firmware!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi, I am going crazy about a subject related with this player (Philips bdp 2500/12). I don't know if it is a software or a hardware topic, I think it is mixed. In my opinion it is an all around good player especially in playing Bluray Discs. My problem is related with Divx playback in this player. I have many HD mkv movies and I want to play them in this player. First I convert mkv movie to Divx format and split and burn this file to DVD. But player didn't read this file then I converted mkv file to xvid, this time it played it properly. Nevertless its quality was worse than original source. Afterwards I tried many formats. Sometimes it worked but everytime there is a problem (like quality loss or audio or size scaling). First of all
    1. In its specifications it was written supports Divx files but it didn't play the Divx movie.
    2. My desire is very simple, I want to convert my 720p or 1080p mkv movies to identically (same resolution, same format, same quality etc.) Divx format or any other supported format with no quality loss and supported with this player. Then split and burn them to DVD or DVDs (as data not as DVDVideo(vob. etc.). And watch them at my full hd TV in HD format
    Is there any expert one that has knowledge about its specifications or using this player, can help me ?
    (I have the latest firmware 948.4)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Winter snake: You dont have to convert mkv files! Just flash your player with new firmware 1015.1 and rename your mkv to avi and burn it to dvd or dvd dl. BDP2500/12 FW: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=BDP2500/12&scy=ro&slg=en

Others: From usb you have to split files that are bigger than 4GB, because it is FAT32 file system limit. Max volume size is 2TB. To split mkv file use this: http://bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/
    Last edited by marxveix; 13th Oct 2010 at 03:39.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, it really works after I upgraded the firmware and changed mkv ext. to avi, It started to play .mkv files. I have tried several movies, it plays most of them. But in some of them corruption and breaking happened on images, not know why. Another issue in some, it supports video format but not audio format. Do you know a good software that I can convert the audio file to a supported format without touching the video rapidly ??
    Quote Quote  
  7. winter snake
    the breaking over a mkv file is probably because of weighted prediction for p frames ('wpredp=' in mediainfo). The file has to be re-encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  8. when I re encoded a .mkv movie what must be the format for no quality lost. What do you suggest ? Because before I tried to convert some of my .mkv or.mp4 files to divx, xvid, etc... There happened an easily seen visual deterioration on movies ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Use ripbot264. You do not need to convert the file, just remove weighten p-prediction.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what configurations/settings do you recommend I set in ripbot264 (unchecking wpredp of course) that will give me an output video that is almost of the same size as the original and with very slight quality loss?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm sorry, I cannot be very useful here. The default settings should be ok. Just try different configurations on small files and see what happens
    Quote Quote  
  12. camoso
    Re: Philips BDP2500
    Use ripbot264. You do not need to convert the file, just remove weighten p-prediction.
    Hi, How can we use ripbot to remove weighten p-prediction. I couldn't find its adjustments in this software.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Add a file; right from 'profile' there is a button with 3 dots- these are the encoder settings, one of them is the weighten prediction
    Quote Quote  
  14. My player (Philips BDP2500) has B region code locked, is it possible to watch bluray's from A region. In this site there is hack for this player but if this is only for DVD's or when we hacked the region code,is it operative for Bluray's. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I did the firmware upgrade as suggested: now in the main menu of BluRay player I have the USB link and some videos play smoothly than if played througt the TV (I'v got the PHILIPS 37PFL8404 with USB support)

With the upgrade I've lost the small front lcd display: now I can't even read the "PHILIPS" word during the start phase.
    But this is not a big problem, having the USB working is better than having the display working

About the BluRay region hack, in the Service Manual you will read in section "DVD Region code change":
    "Remark: BD disc region code change only by upgrade software."
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hey Guys
    Ive managed to change the name of a .MKV file to .AVI, burned to a dvd and the machine plays the video, however I am getting a error message unsupported audio.

does anyone know the supported audio codes the machine plays and how I can convert my file to this

Thanks allot
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by grantchristmas View Post
    Hey Guys
    Ive managed to change the name of a .MKV file to .AVI, burned to a dvd and the machine plays the video, however I am getting a error message unsupported audio.

does anyone know the supported audio codes the machine plays and how I can convert my file to this

Thanks allot
    DTS, Dolby Digital, MP3, PCM, WMA these are supported codecs. you can use foobar, audocity, xmedia recode or avidemux for conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I got a BDP-2500 for Christmas. I've already updated the firmware to 1015.1 (from the official BDP-2500 support page). I don't have a USB stick, and probably won't bother getting one, so aside from enabling playback from USB, would cross-flashing the BDP-3000 firmware be worth doing? The only other reason I would probably want to do this would be if the 3000 firmware offers more audio codecs in .mkv playback. None of the .mkv files I have have 2500 supported audio, and I've not been able to convert any of them (I'm completely new to Blu-Ray / HD video on my PC).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I suppose only difference is usb playback, so you don't have to cross-flash your bdp 2500. Neverthless you can ask this to a bdp 3000 user.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Sorry it took so long to reply - thanks for the info, Winter Snake. As I have no use for USB playback, I won't bother trying to cross-flash my player. Also, thanks for the change .mkv to .avi extension tip - works a treat! All that's left to do is rip & convert the audio tracks from a few .mkv files (I'm well practised with audio tools - just needed to know how to rip the original stream).
    Quote Quote  
  21. You can extract original audio stream from movie with "mkvtoolnix".
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm not sure which one (it's on my desktop PC - using the laptop ATM), but I've found a ripping tool that I can handle. The biggest problem was with .MKV files featuring non-supported (by the 2500 anyway) audio. I've been using SoundForge (a tool I've used professionally for a few years) to convert the audio to a supported format, and recombining it with the video track using Yamb. All working fine.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Apologies for not replying sooner -

Winter Snake - your link is indeed the latest firmware (v1022.2 30th June 2011) for the BDP2500. I rented The Simpsons Movie on BluRay, but the player refused to acknowledge that I had a disc inserted. Downloading and flasing (via CD) the update fixed the problem.

I haven't noticed any other changes on the player since flashing, so I assume it's just a compatibility update.

Cheers

Anon
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Anonymizeruk View Post
    Apologies for not replying sooner -

Winter Snake - your link is indeed the latest firmware (v1022.2 30th June 2011) for the BDP2500. I rented The Simpsons Movie on BluRay, but the player refused to acknowledge that I had a disc inserted. Downloading and flasing (via CD) the update fixed the problem.

I haven't noticed any other changes on the player since flashing, so I assume it's just a compatibility update.

Cheers

Anon
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  25. A new V1147.3 update is out for BDP2500/05 and /12. I can't believe they still didn't fix the Alien Anthology DC zooming bug.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hy, i am italian and the firmware upgrade BDP3000 ver. 1142.1 on a BDP2500 ver. V1147.3 player not work with the latest firmware version.
    can u Help My?

Originally Posted by marxveix View Post
    If you change end of the filename to avi, then it can play those mkv files. I already sucsessfully flashed my bdp2500/12 to bdp3000/12 and now it plays mediafiles from usb, but the small philips display can not show normal text (you can still use info button from remote control). Everything else works as before

Service manual for 2500/12
    http://www.upload.ee/files/835807/philips_bdp2500_sm__ET_.pdf.html

Service manual for 3000/12
    http://www.upload.ee/files/835814/philips_bdp_3000_sm__ET_.pdf.html

As you can see from service manuals, both players use same main and power board and share mt8520 chip. bdp2500/12 just has less features. To flash bdp3000/12 firmware to bdp2500/12 just rename bigger bdp3000/12 bin filename as bigger bdp2500/12 bin file and use it with original bdp2500/12 smaller bin file. All other steps to flash are as usual. I used same version firmware files from both players (latest right now is 1015.1). NB! It is your own risk to crossflash philips bdp2500/12 and i am not responsible for unsucsessfull flash.

My first post

MarxVeix
    Quote Quote  
  27. may be, they have blocked this cross update feature in new firmware versions.
    Quote Quote  
  28. who can i find the old firmware?
    Quote Quote  
  29. I found this link in web, may be useful for you "http://johnsondrivers.com/download-driver/PHILIPS/BDP3000"
    Quote Quote