VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Panasonic SC BT300 sound system connected to the PS3 via toslink (no HDMI ins on the receiver). I can bitstream complations with DD 5.1 and the receiver pick it up fine (light recognizes signal) but when I try with DTS sound, it doesnt recognize it.

I was wondering whether it could be a setting on the PS3 or whether my cables might be bad or what because its strange. I know it can decode DTS fine because when im watching bluray disc via HDMI, it recognizes Dolby True HD, DTS-HD and LPCM signals.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Optical is one of those things where if it works for one format, then it works. Period. So if you are getting DD over the optical cable, there is no reason why the cable would stop you getting DTS.

In the PS3 you can set how each type of audio is sent, so I would start by checking all your audio output settings. There is also a limitation of what can be sent over which connection when you are running audio over both optical and HDMI. I have a similar situation to yours - HDMI to the TV, but optical to the (older model) receiver. I have everything going to the TV downscale to two channel PCM, because anything else is a waste, and bitstream DD and DTS to the receiver. The receiver doesn't do DTS-HD, but gets a downscaled DTS signal quite happily from the PS3.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thats what I have my PS3 optical set on: Bitstream direct, but the receivers is still not picking it up when im in AVCHD mode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am at work at the moment, so I can't check my PS3 settings for a few hours.

How are you authoring your AVCHDs ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. im also unavailable to my PS3 at the moment lol

I use MultiAVCHD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have done probably 50 discs with multiAVCHD, with at least half of them having DTS audio, and all of them work, so that is unlikely to be the issue.

Are you running the latest PS3 firmware ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. sorry for the long wait, im watching the game ....

yes, i update within hours of the release. I authored it perfectly since i see no errors when im finished. Im thinkin it moght be something with the PS3 not set right.

Maybe something in my music or audio settings because I know when you try to stream DTS with a program like PMS (Playstation Media Server), you need to tweak some settings on the PS3 to get the audio to come out right. I wonder if thats the same case here.

BTW, im using an original 80 gig PS3 (BC) if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same model here. I will have a look at my settings when I get home and post back here. Still a few hours away yet.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm too using PS3 (original PAL 60gb) and use optical to a Pioneer receiver (DTS/DD only - no HD). Both play just fine.

Important thing to mention is that if you try to play the files DIRECTLY (from STREAM folder) you'll never get DTS audio out of the PS3. You need to play the AVCHD folder in AVCHD/BD playback mode.

Dean
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  10. I know all that as well dean. I was attempting to play AVCHD with DTS sound with it. I know its nothing wrong with the compilation itself, its probably either my PS3 settings or maybe something wrong with my receiver
    Quote Quote