VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have an older model (2004-2005) JVC-GRD72U Mini DV Camcorder. My computer will not recognize it, via firewire (or USB) to transfer video.

I have an iMac 24" with Snow Leopard and I also have Windows 7 with BootCamp. I've tried on both OS's with no luck. I've tried to capture with the following, Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express, iMovie, Windows movie maker, Adobe Premiere Pro.

Nothing seems to work. I can't find drivers to download for this either that would work with Snow Leopard or Windows 7.

What would you recommend to transfer my dv tapes to my computer with my current setup? Should I just do this through a canopus 110 or 300 or should I get a mini dv player and then transfer through the canopus or some other analog to video converter. I assume there will be some loss of video quality going through the canopus since I have to use the s-video instead of just straight fire wire transfer. Sorry if I sound stupid I'm just not sure the best way to go about this.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd pick up another dv or hdv cam. and maybe a pc to replace the mac.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sad story.

My brother showed up with a JVC MiniDV cam and for whatever reason, the Mac and PC didn't work the first time. I struggled and got the PC to work but since this was 4+ years ago, I forget what I did.

I agree. Try a different computer or better play your tape on a Sony or Canon DV/HDV and capture from them.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i'd pick up another dv or hdv cam. and maybe a pc to replace the mac.
    I guess I could try another dv cam but I didn't want to spend that much money when I'm looking to get a tapeless video camera here soon.

There's no need to get a pc, it's the same hardware and I have Mac and PC Software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the Canopus devices (do you have one?) work with your computer, then there's no hardware or software problem since the Canopus devices also output DV - just like a camcorder.

People are almost giving away DV camcorders on eBay. Certainly cheaper than the Canopus capture boxes.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    If the Canopus devices (do you have one?) work with your computer, then there's no hardware or software problem since the Canopus devices also output DV - just like a camcorder.

People are almost giving away DV camcorders on eBay. Certainly cheaper than the Canopus capture boxes.

Cheers,
    David.
    I don't have a Canopus but getting one soon. I'm sure the canopus will work. The reason the JVC mini dv is not working is more of a driver issue I believe.

Thanks for the advice guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Canes View Post

Cheers,
    David.
    I don't have a Canopus but getting one soon. I'm sure the canopus will work. The reason the JVC mini dv is not working is more of a driver issue I believe.

DV camcorder transfer over IEEE-1394 is supported in OSX and Windows since XP. There is no driver needed for an OHCI compliant card.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Cheers,
    David.

DV camcorder transfer over IEEE-1394 is supported in OSX and Windows since XP. There is no driver needed for an OHCI compliant card.
    There is a driver needed for my Camcorder which I do not have nor can find online. OSX and Win 7 may recognize the device is there although I get no indication of this but the video editing softwares I mentioned do not recognize it at all and will not capture with this device. It may be because the video editing softwares are too new.

I used to capture with the same camcorder but with an older version of adobe premiere pro and windows 2000 and it worked fine. But now with a newer version of windows and premiere pro, no luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is a MiniDV camcorder, no additional drivers are needed to capture over Firewire.

Access to stills over USB does require a camera specific USB driver.

The camcorder's IEEE-1394 port may be non-functional. Only way to tell is to test it on more computers or other devices with IEEE-1394 inputs such as another camcorder or a DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    It must be the video editing software then.

When I plug it in on the windows 7 side, there is an audible sound that tells me it was plugged in. I don't get any indication on the mac side.

But still the video editing softwares capture device will not recognize that there is any camcorder plugged in.

Maybe I should try different video capturing software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    winDV is a free pc capturing software that should find the cam and works in win7.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, try WinDV. Then import the resulting DV-AVI file into the editor.

In OSX, iMovie or FCE should find the camcorder in capture mode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it could also be a bad firewire cable or port on the computer.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM

Thanks...WinDVworks great!

ON the mac side though FCE, FCP and imovie do not work at all. I prefer to edit in FCP or express too so it looks like I'll have to capture in windows and transfer to the mac side to edit in Final Cut. A minor pain in the butt but at least I can capture now.

Thanks

I even tried FireWireSDK26 on the mac side with no luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Thanks...WinDVworks great!

ON the mac side though FCE, FCP and imovie do not work at all. I prefer to edit in FCP or express too so it looks like I'll have to capture in windows and transfer to the mac side to edit in Final Cut. A minor pain in the butt but at least I can capture now.

Thanks

I even tried FireWireSDK26 on the mac side with no luck
    You'll need Quicktime Pro on the Mac to convert DV-AVI to *.dv or try Enosoft DV processor (free) on PC to make the conversion. The conversion is lossless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or just use Vegas because it's better!

(runs for cover).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote