VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have about 60 Hi8 and regular 8mm camcorder tapes that I can't get to play. They were recorded using a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV130 Digital-8 camcorder that I bought brand new in 2001. That camcorder was stolen in 2008 and I got a used Sony video Hi8 Handycam Vision CCD-TRV68 from a friend of mine but they won't play on it. All I get is a blue screen or white fuzz on the screen and static noise. The counter on the display is running, so it seems like there is still video on the tape, but I don't know why I can't see it. I have a lot of memories on those tapes that I would like to transfer to DVD. I have no reason to belive that all 60+ of my tapes have been damaged or erased. Does anyone know how I can get my tapes to play? Do I have to buy another TRV-130? If anyone has any help at all, it would be appreciated very much. Thank you. Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First guess would be that you need a Digital8 Camcorder. Hi8 camcorders will not play D8 tapes. Some D8's will play Hi8's but not the other way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Digital8 camcorders record to digital DV format using 8mm tape (D8, Hi8 or Video8 tapes).

Some Digital8 camcorders also play analog Hi8 and analog Video8 tapes. Check the specs before you buy.

Analog Hi8 camcorders can play analog Hi8 and analog Video8 tapes but not digitally recorded tapes. This is your situation. Any tapes you record on this type of camcorder will be analog.

So, as srenaud suggests, you need a Digital8 camcorder or deck to play your 60 tapes. Digital8 machines also support capture to a computer over IEEE-1394 (Firewire) in DV format.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote