VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thought I'd inquire as to what most of you users in here do. I don't go very mobile with my Laptop (so far)..i.e...it sits at home...so I wondered, what's the best power source. Should I use the power cord provided or just continuously use the battery then charge it up when its gets low? I'm not sure if I use the power cord all the time, the battery will deplete or go bad faster. I've had so many camera batteries (rechargeable) go bad over the years I kinda figured it would be the same with Laptop batteries, but I'm not sure.

What's better? keep it plugged in or just use the battery?

thanx

mt11
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just keep my laptop plugged in all the time since I rarely use it in the field. And yes, the battery is about shot. But I've had it a couple of years, so that may be normal for it anyway. I suspect laptop batteries would last longer when not plugged in the the charger continually, but with only a hour or two of battery life, more of a PITA than it's worth to me.

Newer batteries and chargers should be able to keep a battery in good shape without overcharging, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is best to cycle the battery at least once per month - run it down on battery power to less than 15% or so.

When the battery does die, it opens the laptop up for potential power supply board and other issues, although this may have been cured on newer machines.

Also, you may end up re-setting the clock over and again, as the mainboard battery is taxed and dies.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  4. The two main dangers to Li-ion batteries is heat and full discharge:
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so basically, keep it plugged in for regular use(power cord) then 1nce a month, use the battery and run it down below 15% then recharge it?

I have a decent cooling pad/stand it sits on so the heat issue is ok. It runs very cool underneath it. Lotsa airflow.
    Quote Quote