VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just curious what common errors can be attributed to a poor VCR and what can be attributed to the VHS tape. Examples would be lines scrolling up and down the picture, jumping picture, stuff like that. One would think that if a store bought VHS played fine in one VCR then a recorded VHS played with errors, like jumping picture, lines, etc. that it would be the tapes problem. Can better VCR's fix these problems? I just dont want to invest in another VCR to get just a slight improvement in picture quality. Cheers!
    P.S If this is answered elsewhere in the forum, by all means just link to other posts and I apologize.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Many of the problems you're talking about are caused by time base errors. A good S-VHS deck with a line time base corrector can clean up much of it. Some tapes will be too far gone for even that though. Especially multi generation copies. Some TBC examples (using a panasonic ES15 DVD recorder as a time base corrector):

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319420-Who-uses-a-DVD-recorder-as-a-line-TBC-and-wh...=1#post1983288
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a used ES15 with the ram drive module borken. It doesn't play or record anything.
    The seller says the other functions are ok. So the TBC must be working, right?
    I'm thinking of buying it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the electronics are still working the TBC should be ok.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then I'm gonna buy it.
    Can't find a standalone TBC to buy here.
    So my setup will be LG RC7000B -> Pana ES15 -> ADVC 110.
    Let's see how it performs.
    Sorry for hijacking the topic. And thanx jagabo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The VCR is the weakest link in any VHS conversion chain.
    The difference in VCRs make a bigger difference than any other single device.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. But a good S-VHS deck cost hundreds of dollars compared to tens of dollars for a broken ES15.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep.
    I would have to pay 6x more to get a AG1970.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But a good S-VHS deck cost hundreds of dollars compared to tens of dollars for a broken ES15.
    So?
    A good car costs a lot more than a skateboard, too.
    A VCR is not the same as the ES15.

Jag, I don't know if you're being facetious, or it you really think the ES15 can replace a good VCR.
    If it's the latter, I'm really surprised. You've been around long enough to know better.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe he is not saying that the ES15 would be better than a good S-VHS deck. But, if i can get one cheap (and a good VCR is much more expensive), it's a good deal.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But a good S-VHS deck cost hundreds of dollars compared to tens of dollars for a broken ES15.
    So?
    A good car costs a lot more than a skateboard, too.
    A VCR is not the same as the ES15.

Jag, I don't know if you're being facetious, or it you really think the ES15 can replace a good VCR.
    If it's the latter, I'm really surprised. You've been around long enough to know better.
    Not everyone can, or wants to, spend $300 for a VCR. Of course starting with a good S-VHS deck is best. The ES15 is a compromise.

Caple, you may want to disable the noise reduction filter in the ES15. It is pretty strong and produces a little ghosting.
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Jun 2010 at 07:59.
    Quote Quote