VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey i recently downloaded mpg stream clip.. i ineed help on how to crop and editng out parts? with it if anyone could help me that would be awsome.
    Last edited by mike300; 5th Jun 2010 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a .pdf guide included in the zip file for the stable (non-beta) release. It is a reasonably good reference. If you haven't read it, you should do that first. After that, please tell us what specific things you are having trouble doing. i.e. navigating through the souce file, opening the source file, selecting cut points, etc.

[Edit]"i ineed help on how to crop and editng out parts" covers a lot of ground and the documentation does a better job of explaining the entire process than I will.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Jun 2010 at 16:40.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is a .pdf guide included in the zip file for the stable (non-beta) release. It is a reasonably good reference. If you haven't read it, you should do that first. After that, please tell us what specific things you are having trouble doing. i.e. navigating through the souce file, opening the source file, selecting cut points, etc.

[Edit]"i ineed help on how to crop and editng out parts" covers a lot of ground and the documentation does a better job of explaining the entire process than I will.
    i read it.. im not understanding the in and out part when it comes to Editing? like would i hit out on the part of the video i dont.want
    Last edited by mike300; 5th Jun 2010 at 18:53.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike300 View Post
    i read it.. im not understanding the in and out part when it comes to Editing? like would i hit out on the part of the video i dont.want
    If you use "Cut" to remove video, "select in" marks the start of what will be removed and "select out" marks the end of what will be removed. If you use "Trim" to remove video, "select in" marks the start of what will be kept and "select out" marks the end of what will be kept.

Note that MPEG Streamclip can't make cuts on any frame, but it will come as close as it can to the points you mark. When working with MPEG-2 video, the segments it keeps must start on an I-frame and end on an I- or P-frame. Look up GOP, I-Frame, and P Frame in VideoHelp's Glossary if you don't know what those are.

[Edit]...and I KNOW from your question that you didn't read through the documentation very well, if at all. If you had read the part titled "MAKING A SELECTION" you wouldn't have asked that one.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Jun 2010 at 23:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. can anyone tell me why all my files are comeing out wide screen with mpg stream clip? i want the video full screen
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2010-06-10-22h43m27s49.png
Views:	1457
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	2239  

Last edited by mike300; 12th Jun 2010 at 13:20.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can anyone tell me why all my files are comeing out wide screen with mpg stream clip? i want the video full screen
    Did you make make any changes to the video format or frame size when you exported the clip, and what settings did you use when you exported the clip?

Is the posted PNG extracted from the clip you made, using MPEGStreamclip's "Export Fame" command (in the "File" menu)? [Edit] OK, a mouse hover told me the screenshot is from VLC. Can you post a screenshot from the un-edited original so we can see what you started with? [End Edit]

If you didn't change the video format or resolution, MPEGStreamclip didn't change anything. Someone recorded the original widescreen (16:9) as letterboxed 4:3. You won't be able to make a fullscreen 4:3 or pan-and-scan widescreen (16:9) version from what you have without doing a certain amount of work, and the result will be less sharp than what you have.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Jun 2010 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote  
  7. [QUOTE=usually_quiet;1993969]
    can anyone tell me why all my files are comeing out wide screen with mpg stream clip? i want the video full screen
    Did you make make any changes to the video format or frame size when you exported the clip, and what setting did you use when you exported the clip?

Is the posted PNG extracted from the clip you made, using MPEGStreamclip's "Export Fame" command (in the "File" menu)? If so, can you post a screenshot from the un-edited original so we can see what you started with?

If you used MPEGStreamclip to extract the screenshot, and didn't change the video format or resolution, MPEGStreamclip didn't change anything. Someone recorded the original widescreen (16:9) as letterboxed 4:3. You won't be able to make a fullscreen 4:3 or pan-and-scan widescreen (16:9) version from what you have without doing a certain amount of work, and the result will be less sharp than what you have.[/QUOT

for the first screen shot i used vlc.. hers the 2nd cap for the un touched video. i used mpgscreen clip to take the shot this time

this is the seting.. i used with the mpg for the first cap i showed you
    Last edited by mike300; 12th Jun 2010 at 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It appears you are starting with 640 x 480 video, but I don't have any to experiment with. All I have is 704 x 480. You are exporting to QuickTime, and I have never worked with it. Someone else may be able to give you better advice.

I'm guessing you need to set the Frame Size to "Other" 640 x 480.

[Edit]I had to change half of my original reply. Initially I was confused by an image posted on TinyPic that was 720x540.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Jun 2010 at 17:13.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It appears you are starting with 640 x 480 video, but I don't have any to experiment with. All I have is 704 x 480. You are exporting to QuickTime, and I have never worked with it. Someone else may be able to give you better advice.

I'm guessing you need to set the Frame Size to "Other" 640 x 480.

[Edit]I had to change half of my original reply. Initially I was confused by an image posted on TinyPic that was 720x540.
    hey got it i used 640x480 did that trick thanks for your help!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good, but I forgot to tell you not to crop, since you probably want to keep the video looking as much like the original as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Good, but I forgot to tell you not to crop, since you probably want to keep the video looking as much like the original as possible.
    yeah its cool i dident crop any thing out.
    Quote Quote