VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to make a autorun vcd that will automatically play when I load it into my pc. I have read the "Autorun" section apart of the FAQs. It states to create a file in notpade containing:

[autorun]
    open=start mplayer2.exe/play/close\MPEGAV\avseq01.dat

then to save it as an all file type named "autorun.inf" and to drag i to a root folder when creating the vcd with nero.

I did this but when my cd-rom reads the disk it pulls up a black screen, which looks as if it is the notepad file and as quickly as it comes up it is gone. I have even tried:

[autorun]
    open=start mplayer2.exe/play\MPEGAV\avseq01.dat

Same out come. Now I have tried:

[autorun]
    open=mplayer2.exe/play\MPEGAV\avseq01.dat

now it says "Windows can not acess the specified device, path, file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."

I've even tried to go real simple:

[autorun]
    open=\test.mpeg

as just a regular cd (not vcd this time) the same error shows up "Windows.....item".
    Any suggestions? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

4 coasters and counting,
    Ntoxic8
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your description (typing) is correct, then you're gonna kick yourself at the mistake you made. I just looked at the "How to make an autoplay,autorun VCD,SVCD,DivX,AVI CD?" here (thank you VCDHELP.COM! Although I haven't tried it yet, it was intriguing enough to look into for future use). Here's what I found:

[autorun]
    open=start mplayer2.exe /play /close \MPEGAV\avseq01.dat

The one-line "open" statement has 5 parts, each separated by a SPACE.
    1) open=start
    2) mplayer2.exe
    3) /play
    4) /close
    5) \MPEGAV\avseq01.dat

If you put the SPACES in where they belong (and I know it's hard to tell with these variable-spacing fonts), it should solve your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am having the exact same problem. After two coasters, I switched to a CDRW so at least I'm not making more!

I have tried every possible permutation of the Autorun.inf that I can think of without success. I have two systems, Win2K and 98 and neither works. The 98 system gives nothing and the Win2K machine gives me the following error:

"Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied"

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does this disable the ability to use this disk in a DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
  5. batty,

Have you tried placing your CD-ROM's device letter in front of the file path to see if that works? For example:

D:\MPEGAV\avseq01.dat

Also, try Start | Run | mplayer2.exe

If you get an error (or file not found) it means that mplayer2.exe is not in your path this will never work.

Good luck,
    - bewley

bewley's mp3PRO Rock
    classic/metal/new rock streaming 24/7
    Ziggy In Concert
    david bowie unofficial discography
    Quote Quote  
  6. mmm your post reminds me of something... cuz I asked the exact same question.. only that I Want Power Dvd to run when i insert my vcd!

Oh well i made my latest vcd and didn't used my autorun after failing in my attempts with my cdr-w
    Yea the thing that poped up when i edited my .nfo was the Ms-Dos prompt bit it was so fast that i can barely see what it says.. but I know is something that it couldnt open the specific path.
    Oh well if someone knows how to make a working one, pliz let me know>
    Peace Love and Technology!

Iverson#3
    Quote Quote  
  7. I use the I-ON video player 1.0 (downloadable from here at VCDHELP) and an autorun file .

copy the ion executable and the gui.dll file to the VCD root directory. Then have your autorun file (also in the root) simply execute the ION executable.

ION itself will search for, find, and autoplay the VCD (that's its default behavior). Done.
    (NOTE: ION is just a front end for windows media player, so this works with all versions of windows I've tried, but probably won't on the very first Windows 95 version "a").
    Quote Quote  
  8. bewley,

Thanks for the suggestion but adding the "D:\" didn't work same error.

Mitsui_1,

I must really be confused but I can't seem to find I-ON on the website. Please give a link to it.

Thanks,
    batty
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mitsui_1,

Thanks for the link. I have installed I-ON and burned a new vcd with the extra files. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem. Nothing happens on my 98 system (I think something is wrong with it!) and I get the same "access" error with the Win2k system as before. I'll try some variations on the Autorun file but any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The good news is that I-On works beautifully when run from the cd so I guess it kind of solves the issue. Do you happen to know if there is a way to make I-On run either 2X or full screen automatically? I'm assuming that I'll get the Autorun to work eventually and I would like the video to play at least 2X zoom.

Thanks,
    Batty
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try this in italic fixedsys font
    [autorun]
    OPEN=START(space)MPLAYER2.EXE(space)/PLAY(space)/drive letter of dvd rom:(space)\MPEGAV(space)\AVSEQ01.DAT

wmplayer 7.1 works also but you have to press play yourself

thanks to: bewley for drive letter
    NEO2vcd for spaces
    Batty for cdrw(saved a lot of good cd-r)
    to whom ever wrote http://www.vcdhelp.com/autorun.htm
    for everthing else
    sorry for (space) could not think of another way to show spaces
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the suggestion but I still get the same access error ("Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied") with the new inf file. I even used the italic fixedsys font but I can't imagine why that would have an effect?

I was able to get the file to run successfully using a program called Shellrun but that only works if I copy the mpg file to the cd instead of writing a true VCD (i.e. avseq01.dat). Unfortunately, Shellrun doesn't allow me to put any modifiers on the player such as /full screen.

Any additional third party software suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've never found a command line to start I-ON up at 2x or full screen.

As far as getting the autorun to work, here's my approach:

Install the I-ON package, surf to its directory and rename the executable to "play.exe"

Now, open notepad and create a new text document. In it put the following:

[autorun]
    OPEN=\PLAY.EXE

That's it. Save that document as "AUTORUN.INF" (save it right in the I-ON directory for future use).

Make sure you have "show extensions" on in Windows, so that Notepad doesn't add a txt to the end. The entire file name should be AUTORUN.INF

Now, after you've set up Nero to burn a VCD and added your MPEG files,
    surf to the ION directory and copy

PLAY.EXE
    GUI.DLL

to the "root" of the VCD.

Also copy the AUTORUN.INF file you made to the root of the CD.

Now burn it.

Should work. I've heard of one or two DVD players that don't like extra files in the root directory of a VCD but that seems to be an internet rumor. SOmetimes if you buy a commercial VCD there will be a copyright notice and similar files there.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I Think I solve the problem..... :P
    With your Autorun...

Just COPY this and save it to Notepad....

[autorun]
    open=start mplayer2.exe /play /close \MPEG2\avseq01.mpg

1.save the file as AUTORUN.INF
    2.select Save as file type: All files in Notepad

Or look this...
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/autorun.htm

It will work good...I try and works fine with me!!!

-Glock -
    Quote Quote  
  14. Oeps..

It was for SVCD....(sorry)

Here is the right one....for the VCD

autorun]
    open=start mplayer2.exe /play /close \MPEGAV\avseq01.dat

1.save the file as AUTORUN.INF
    2.select Save as file type: All files in Notepad

- Glock -
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ntoxic8,

Chec your PM I think I have it solved for you
    Quote Quote  
  16. Did that help?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hello?

Any one?

Any one?

Bueler?
    Quote Quote  
  18. ntoxic8: I had the same prob an the same error, After trying out a few progs that always had an annoying splash screen i finally figured it out. This is the inf string I used, all I had to do was put in the location for mplayer and it works fine. Hope this helps. Good Luck

[autorun]
    OPEN=C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe /play /close \movie.avi
    Quote Quote  
  19. Ok, I want Power DVD to autorun when I insert my (s)vcd. So what i could put will be this?
    autorun]
    OPEN=C:\Program Files\Cyber link PowerDVD\PowerDVD.exe /play /close\MPEGAV\aveq01.dat

Maybe is not exactly right depending of what u are doing (svcd or vcd) but at least the idea of putting the whole directory might work

I'm gonna try that as soon as my next vcd ships out!

Am i right or is there other way to make an autorun with PowerDVD?
    Peace Love and Technology!

Iverson#3
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by MITSUI_1

As far as getting the autorun to work, here's my approach:

Install the I-ON package, surf to its directory and rename the executable to "play.exe"

Now, open notepad and create a new text document. In it put the following:

[autorun]
    OPEN=\PLAY.EXE
    [...]
    Okay, I'm working on this... but when I installed I got a file called "i-vcdp.exe" but no "play.exe". Can I assume this is the same thing and substitute accordingly?

Thanks,

(note my request elsewhere for SVCD autorun info)
    Quote Quote  
  21. postscript:

My goal is to have VCDs (and hopefully SVCDs) that will play in most Windows machines without any software installation on the user's part.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by MITSUI_1

My dog, how stupid can I be... the answer was there in black & white. Please forgive the posting frenzy and return to your regular lives.
    Quote Quote