VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

Im having issues setting up my XBOX 360's Optical audio out put to my PC.

Heres a quick Glance at my setup for Xbox 360:
    HDMI-DVI hooked up to an Acer 22" monitor
    Digital Audio Out to Input on Gigabyte P35-DS3L Realtek sound

The problem I have is getting the sound at all, In the recording section the green bars dont light up at all and in the realtek soundcard menu under Digital Input and Digital Audio Input tab the status wont change from Unlocked.

The cable seems to be fine the light is running through it I just cant get any input to work. I installed all the latest drivers and A3S as well as trying all 3 Digital Output audio settings on the XBOX 360

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That MB doesn't have optical S/PDIF inputs, only a output jack. Few MBs do. You would have to convert the optical to electrical (coaxial) and feed it into the MB through the S/PDIF in header. Does the Xbox 360 have coaxial audio out? If not, then you would need a converter like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=...seq=1&format=2 , then a PCI coaxial to motherboard adapter. I made one up with a RCA jack, a blank PCI plate and a spare CD audio cable I had around. But you can probably find one listed on the Gigabyte site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spidf.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	2146

And welcome to our forums.

EDIT: You only need to use Pin 2 and 3. Power is not required. There should be no loss of quality as it's the same signal as the optical, just converted back to electrical.
    Last edited by redwudz; 5th Jun 2010 at 05:53.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh okay that sucks. Ill probably just use the Red/White wires and use the 3.5mm jack thing and plug it into the line in. Audio quality isnt really that important.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote