VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Dishnetwork offers a DVR service for it's 211 HD receivers with an external Hard Drive. Dose this mean that USB jacks can be used to capture satelite broadcast?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not necessarily. Ask Dish network if they support external drives. If they do the files on the drive would be encrypted and linked to your account. You could only use that drive on that specific box with an active account.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does that mean that programs recorded on the external HD could not be transferred to a computer?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Does that mean that programs recorded on the external HD could not be transferred to a computer?
    That is most likely the case. I tried with my cable DVR (eSATA drive) and couldn't get anything useful off of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If they even support external drives, yes.

Several cable DVR boxes have this feature to allow expansion of recording time. The drives are formatted with a proprietary OS and all files are encrypted. They are tied to a specific box and an active account. If you cancel the account the files can't be recovered.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I setup an external HD. I first hooked it up to my computer to confirm it worked and could read the files on it,which it did. Then I activated the DishNetwork DVR service on my 211 receiver and recorded a movie. It worked fine on my Dishnetwork receiver. Then I hooked the external drive back on my computer and the computer didn't even recognize the external HD. Now I wonder if the HD in the external USB case can be reformatted back to windows?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Then I hooked the external drive back on my computer and the computer didn't even recognize the external HD. Now I wonder if the HD in the external USB case can be reformatted back to windows?
    Juste delete the partition or do a low level format then the drive will be recognized by Windows or Linux
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know, you can't transfer files from Dish DVR HDDs to a computer, except for a few older models supported by PVRExplorer (available from SourceForge http://sourceforge.net/projects/pvrexplorer-pro/).
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Jun 2010 at 12:30. Reason: corrected answer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    deleted because I need glasses.. sorry about that, wulf109.

-vhelp 5389
    Last edited by vhelp; 6th Jun 2010 at 17:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp,what are you talking about,did you even read this thread?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do the HD's in DVR's spin down while the unit is on and being used only as a receiver? Does the external HD attached to the 211 receiver spin down while the receiver is used only as a receiver?
    Quote Quote  
  12. No, the disks spin whenever the unit is on. There's a rewind/pause buffer for live TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dishnetwork offers a DVR service for it's 211 HD receivers with an external Hard Drive.
    You are correct, I am blind.. posted blog deleted.

-vhelp 5391
    Quote Quote