VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty basic unit but it will play just about anything including Divx avis (the player is Divx Ultra certified), MKVs, Xvid avis, VCDs, SVCDs, music cds, etc. Lotsa stuff the Curtis 1102 won't play. Hackable? Who knows? The Momitsu codes don't work but I'll have to try some more experiments soon. I'm wondering what the change in country in the setup means? No explanation in the manual. Also, unlike the Curtis this unit has SPDIF and Optical audio outputs and component video outputs as well as HDMI output. Also doesn't have net services connection that I know of. Also not NTFS compatible for large hard drives. FAT32 should work though. No LED display either so you are dependent on having this hooked up to a TV. It's NTSC and PAL compatible though. Good thing Wal-Mart has that 30 day return policy so I can continue to experiment. Upgradable through the network connection or the USB port (only one and on the back). To use the USB port to play files, you have to push the "media center" button on the remote. Pretty fast on loading both DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. Also remembers your place on DVDs if you remove them. Something the Curtis doesn't have. Also plays AVCHDs. Files on discs and through the USB port are identified by their name, codec, running time and pixel size. Any more questions, please leave them here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    umm yeah, what's a "seiki" never heard of the brand and a google doesn't turn it up as an electronics manufacturer.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The information I have read so far seems promising. There's a nice set of customers posting at redhotdeals, seems MKV's play with a few issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a new "apex"?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    I'm wondering what the change in country in the setup means? No explanation in the manual.
    It could possibly control region settings, although in theory manufacturers aren't supposed to make BluRay players that allow consumers to change the regions. The ones to date that allow this, like Momitsu, require either extra hardware (in the case of Momitsu, but the reseller add this for you) or a firmware replacement (Oppo). The player violates the BluRay licensing agreement if the manufacturer makes it where the consumer can change the region for either BluRay or DVD playback, so that might not be it. It could also be to control the display language, so I'd advise great caution if you test this and that you not pick a country that uses a character set you are completely unfamiliar with such as perhaps China or Japan.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The passcode for the region unlock is 0000.

Muahaha I love the Chinese, they use the same passcodes /voicechip/sound effect chips for everything Apparently this is not working so it's only part of the puzzle. There's probably a sequence to follow. I guess it could be possible that an update has to be applied *after* setting region.
    Last edited by kuurgen; 4th Jun 2010 at 02:59.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As stated in another thread, the passcode doesn't mean anything. What we want to do with changing the region codes may be disabled. I'm going to try other codes from other manufacturers and see what happens. Good thing I have some Region 2 DVDs to test the unit with...
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is my second Bluray player. About 6 months ago I purchased the Magavox Blu ray player from Walmart for $98. The best way to review this player is to compare the two.

The Magnavox has a very good picture and works well. By far the best feature of this player is how well it upscales DVD's. Put simply I have never seen DVDs look better on any machine. In addition its upscaling, there a noise filters that can improve the quality of even the worst DVDs. The Magnavox has a number of disadvantages though. The unit is SLOW. I normally press open tray button then get a snack before it will actually open. Blurays sometimes shutter during play. The quality of the display (once configured for your TV) is as good as any Sony player but the Magnavox is otherwise featureless when playing Blurays. The device looks very good and the remote feels a little cheap but solid.

The Seiki is much smaller and feels much cheaper. It is a 2nd generation device so it has a number of other features that come with that. The Seiki is much faster then the Magnavox and I have not seen any shuttering when playing Blurays. The quality of the Bluray display is actually noticeably better than the Magnavox (that is to say it is VERY good). The colours are rich and the edges sharp without even a hint of oversharpening. The Seiki plays DVDs and they look good but not as good as the Magnavox. Unlike the Magnavox, the Seiki can play videos from its usb port and it supports a number of other video formats. I tried a number of formats and was very impressed with what it could handle. Divx at 1080P, 720 and others looked fantastic. By contrast, the Magnavox play onlys DVDs and Bluray.

My conclusion: I'm keeping my Seiki for my living room and moving the Magnavox downstairs. The speed, picture quality on Blurays and the multi-format support all make it a definite winner for $88.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    umm yeah, what's a "seiki" never heard of the brand and a google doesn't turn it up as an electronics manufacturer.
    Think they're ignoring you huh...I'd like to know as well what is a Seiki BD660 at wally worlds? Is this only sold in Canada?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Think they're ignoring you huh...I'd like to know as well what is a Seiki BD660 at wally worlds? Is this only sold in Canada?

sometimes it seems like i'm on some kill filter list..... oh well i probably do belong on one most of the time. i'm not the most likeable person here, i earned my nym, but someone has to do the dirty work.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^^never had a problem with you but on the other hand when i first came to this website I was a bit of *******!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a thread on RedFlagDeals here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wm-seiki-bd-live-blu-ray-player-bd660-88-a-893497/

The thread lists the manufacturer's website here: http://www.ivi-digital.com/

Maybe only in Canada after all.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Region free code here:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wm-seiki-bd-live-blu-ray-player-bd660-88-a-893497/6/

Sounds great so far and the right price point....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I read somewhere this uses a Sata format loader. True?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Bought one of these last week. Great player for the price, including region-free DVD and Blu-Ray capabilities!
    Quote Quote  
  16. The Magnavox available at Wal-Mart is made by Funai in China. As are the Philips, Insignia, et. al. All getting a little long in the tooth and probably due to be discontinued.

I wonder is this "Seiki" the new Funai?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interestingly enough I Dled a 13 part MKV set and found out that they play perfectly with full subtitle support. No more ripping the subs for me.I'll have to find out what software was used to author up the MKVs...

Okay...they were done in AVC/h264 format with ASS subs. About 95% of the time the subs display perfectly. Sometimes they might get one word cut off but that appears to be a formatting problem. Something to look at for another day. At least now I know what to go looking for in multimedia downloads...

Also, I'm playing these back on a memory stick at 720p with no stuttering at all. Haven't tried any 1080p yet though...
    Last edited by oldfart13; 28th Jun 2010 at 21:00.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE:

Wal-Mart Canada got more of these in the other day, still at $88. Get them while you can...
    Quote Quote  
  19. I saw some of the new stock today in Halifax. The packaging is new and different to the one I purchased in June. No idea if the player has changed though.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    heres a warning to you. i read this thread and thought oh great a blu-ray player for cheap! a dream come true. well, the BD-live function does not seem to work. i tried it on 2 seperate disney blu-rays and it just takes you to a black screen and nothing loads. left it for 20 minutes, still nothing. cant go back to title screen or anything, you have to power-off and turn on the player to get back into it. Im taking it back right now and buying the $128 one. good luck with yours. its probably a great bluray player, if you never intend to do anything online with it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Bought one at Wal-Mart for CDN$78 and was favorably impressed - until my kids told me about the annoying high-pitched whine that I could barely hear. It whined only when playing; seemed to be something with the drive. So it has been returned.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BD Live is a joke anyway. I've never seen content worth downloading on any disc I've put into ANY Blu Ray player. The copy protection on newer discs is an amazing turn off to many people, me included. Many of us are sticking to regular DVDs anyway since the content we are after isn't going to be coming out on Blu Ray anytime soon. I consider these cheap players adjuncts to more expensive ones, with capabilities that the big brand guys simply won't have so, I can put up with cheap manufacturing and limited capabilities entirely because they suit MY purposes. You obviously have a different set of needs that I don't so more power to us both, eh?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to reopen this thread but need to update info on this player. According to info from Redflagdeals forum the new version in the white box does have new firmware so newer discs should play fine (may be exceptions). MKVs play but a few that do not may have compressed headers that can be fixed by running them through MKVtooknix (check the forum page link above at about page 23). They were as little as $50 during the Black Friday sale and may go that again at Boxing Day. Who knows? Doesn't run as hot as the earlier model so you should be fine with those marathon movie sessions. Apparently can read both FAT32 and NTFS formatted external HDDs (powered) as well as thumb drives (need units with firmware version BDP V4.2 F6 [and yes, there is a way to ID them without opening the case]). New guts don't even resemble the old one. No SATA drive and custom drive cable. Update: the drive is still SATA but the cable is different that's all.

To id the one you want

"FW:BDP-041F3, internal has sata cable. Without open the case, identify with the Optical and Coaxial audio connectors positioned at the left side (looking at the back). This unit WILL NOT read NTFS format!

FW:BDP v4.2F6, custom drive cable. Without open the case, identify with the Optical and Coaxial audio connectors positioned between the HDMI and LAN ports. This unit WILL read NTFS format!" (kudos to rambokid).

Also plays rmvb.

Even with the new firmware, the region change (8520) still works!

UPDATE

New price (regular) on these is $78. Bought one today and have been doing some checking with it. Didn't think that my 320 Gig NTFS laptop drive would work with it but it does (with no separate power supply). Recognized the files but takes a long time to display owing to the unit reading the drive and setting it's own display menu for the contents. Played the MKVs, avis, mpegs, etc. just fine. Might stutter on some of the MKVs but that is probably an encoding problem. I'm watching the forum at Redflagdeals to see what can be done about that. I'd figure that Seiki will get their act together at some point and update the website so owners of the old unit can update their firmware. Currently, the firmware update link doesn't work. All in all, not a bad alternative to a cheap multimedia player.
    Last edited by oldfart13; 16th Dec 2010 at 12:04.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Speaking of WalMart locally a guy filled out an application and then ran off with a Blu_Ray player leaving his ID behind. Some of the applicants have real inteligence.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hello,
    I have this bluray player, and I have a strange display on my screen that I cannot get to go away. I am wondering if someone can help me...
    I am watching a movie (Eclipse) and for some reason, in the upper right hand corner, there are 2 small square icons that will not go away. I have pressed EVERY button on the remote.
    The only one that does anything is the "display" button, but it only changes it for a moment, then it goes back.

Any help would be awesome.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by chaos_432 View Post
    Hello,
    I have this bluray player, and I have a strange display on my screen that I cannot get to go away. I am wondering if someone can help me...
    I am watching a movie (Eclipse) and for some reason, in the upper right hand corner, there are 2 small square icons that will not go away. I have pressed EVERY button on the remote.
    The only one that does anything is the "display" button, but it only changes it for a moment, then it goes back.

Any help would be awesome.
    Thanks!
    Maybe you can turn off PIP Mark and Secondary Audio Mark function.
    Setup Menu->Playback->PIP Mark->Off;Setup Menu->Playback->Secondary Audio Mark->Off.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I have just bought the BD 660 and find it takes a long time to find my avi movies on my 1.5 Tetrabite Seagate hardrive in the 2.0 USB port on the back of the player. Is there any program like a Progammable USB loader that would speed up the search for my 400+ avi divx movies??? When I play them from an 8 gig stick it takes no time to find them.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From reports at RFD, they say to format the drive as 64K clusters instead of 4k clusters when you set up the NTFS partition. This will speed up search on the drive. I haven't tried this because I don't want to have to reformat my 320 Gig drive after moving the files off it. Can you change the size from 4k to 64K clusters without reformatting? Anyone?

UPDATE

Apparently many people are doing this already with their MP3 and video files collections. Access time will be much better though the trade off is in wasted space. Not a big deal with these huge hard drives and low costs these days. Partition Magic and similar programs should be able to change the cluster size without reformatting though I haven't tried that yet.

Hmmm...looks like Acronis Disk Director is better at doing this than Partition Magic which might cause problems. Simple and fast according to many users.

UPDATE #2

Best is to use Acronis Disk Director Suite with the cluster resize function (not Home as it isn't included) and a 1 - 2 TB drive that has no files on it. I used a 320 Gig laptop HDD that had 3 partitions on it of which 1 was almost full. That was my downfall as that partition took almost 2 hours to convert. The empty partitions took only a few minutes each. Still have to test the drive so I'll need to do another update.

UPDATE #3

WOW! What a speed difference! Read the drive in a few seconds with immediate access to all the avis in the file folders. I'm sold on doing it this way from now on...
    Last edited by oldfart13; 20th Feb 2011 at 23:11.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firmware update for this player:

http://199.124.60.22/~seikidig/Download/Firmware/MT8550_software_IVI_V5.0F6_upg.zip

Haven't tried it yet but later today. My players are on loan to others...

UPDATE:

Only seems to work on version 2 players. Still leaves it region free with the 8520 code. Tested working...
    Last edited by oldfart13; 10th Jul 2011 at 20:55.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Couple super quick questions that I KNOW the people at Walmart are not going to be able to answer for me (and I want to buy this for a buddy as a house-warming present so I can't really go the test and return route) -

Everywhere I look I see it upsamples DVDs to 1080p but nothing about outputting Blu at 1080p ... I'm guessing then that this is a given?

I haven't seen mention anywhere of audio over HDMI. The way I setup my buddy's TV as it has no speakers and there was only one input on his bookshelf stereo was Sat Box => HDMI to TV => R/L RCA to bookshelf stereo. If this thing can't/doesn't do audio over HDMI then that will be a deal breaker for sure.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated ... in the mean time I'll keep digging through the RFD thread (35 pages ) to see if I can find the answers there ...
    Quote Quote