VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everybody,

I need some help. I am looking for a video card that does just video and audio. I don't want a usb one. I want one that installs in the computer. Are there any out there that don't have a tv tuner. I thought it would be simple to find one but I was wrong. I was looking to spend $50 or maybe $75 for one. I am looking for a component hookup. I see there is one out there that has hdmi but I don' want to go that way. I meant to say composite not component I am running Windows 7.

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Last edited by bigjimmpls; 1st Jun 2010 at 10:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There aren't any current TV tuner cards with component input, and component video capture cards are few and mostly expensive.

The closest thing I know of to what you want (component-in is via an adapter cable) is the Avermedia AVerTV HD DVR but it seems as though you already rejected it. The next closest is the Hauppauge HD PVR USB Video Capture Device, but it is a USB device and well beyond your budget.

Everything else is video only and/or even more expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are very few PCI/PCIe capture cards with component inputs. The BlackMagic Intensity Pro and the AverTV HD DVR are the only two I know of at this time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Other not listed by jagabo
    Leadtek PXPVR2200
    KWorld PE360-A PCI-E Analog TV Card
    There are other but there way to hard to get in USA
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Leadtek and KWorld cards only capture standard definition, right? Looks like they're no longer available. Thanks for the additional information though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That rigth jagabo the capture standard definition only
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant to say composite not component. Sorry. Thanks to everyone who responded
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you're going to capture composite you want a card with a 3d comb filter. See the samples in this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313735-Capture-card-for-Laserdisc-and-VHS-Good-card...=1#post1940519

About the only cards with that are the ATI 650 based cards. Fortunately, you can get those in your price range:

http://www.frys.com/product/6119069
    http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Wonder-650-Combo-Tuner/dp/B00138K48Q

Drivers can be a problem with ATI cards though. I have the USB2 version and never was able to get the tv tuner working reliably. I only use it for raw YUY2 capture of analog video so that doesn't really matter to me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is another option from ATI too. They recently began selling the PCI-e version of their Theater 750 line in N. America.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815306023&cm_re=theater_750-_-15...-023-_-Product

Fry's has it as well. It comes with an adapter cable for composite video and RCA audio and a low-profile bracket. It supposedly has a better TV tuner than the Theater 650 line but it is a single hybrid tuner. It has no hardware encoder chip. Encoding is all done using software, which some people want and others don't.

I have the PCI-e version of ATI's Theater 650 line. The package that Diamond is selling at present does not come with a low profile bracket, composite video adapter or RCA to headphone jack adapter. Those would need to be ordered, but they can be found if you know where to look.

I use the TV tuner on a daily basis with Windows 7 Media Center and it's OK if you have a strong enough signal. Its hardware encoding is good enough for what I do, but those who want more control must bypass it as jagabo does.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wound up buying a Hauppauge 1950 which does hardware encoding. I bought it for $35.00 The ad says that is was 2 years old. What are the odds of the thing crapping out?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigjimmpls View Post
    I wound up buying a Hauppauge 1950 which does hardware encoding. I bought it for $35.00 The ad says that is was 2 years old. What are the odds of the thing crapping out?

Thanks
    Its hard to predict how long used equipment is going to last. At any rate, its yours now, so hope for the best.

It has hardware encoding and decent 2D comb filters, not 3D. While the hardware encoder is good, it probably does not offer many options, although this is true with all recent capture cards. The included software is somewhat buggy according to reviews I have read, but Hauppauge products are mostly very well supported by third-party software.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by bigjimmpls View Post
    I don't know. But I have a Hauppauge PVR-250 that's six years old and it still works fine. Hauppauge doesn't seem to make stuff as good as they used to though.
    Quote Quote