VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'd like to create mpeg2 files with this card.

1. Is there a way to get the Catalyst software that comes with the card not to break mpeg2 files into 4 gig segments?

2. I'd like to record at 4200 kbps at full D. I've had no luck creating a custom setting.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by pinetop; 17th Jun 2010 at 11:56.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With Graphedit you can capture long files using ATI hardware encoder.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/311161-Theater-Pro-550?highlight=graphedit
    Quote Quote  
  3. I want to cap in mpeg2 with this card. I had no luck getting graphedit to work.
    I have used powercinema to cap with this card.
    Powercinema doesn't break mpeg2 files into 4 gig segments, however the mpeg2s are huge compared to the bit rates. There so big 16 plus gigs for 21/2 hrs at 4000kbps that tda and ulead refuse to author them.
    Why are the mpeg2 files so large?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Yes
    2. 4200k is not enough bitrate for Full D1 anyway -- unless you like blocks
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. LS,

Please explain how to get catalyst not to divide mpeg2s into 4 gig segments, how to create a custom profile, and why are the mpeg2 files so big with this card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hope to have a detailed guide for it in the next 2-3 weeks.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sure a real guide will be more informative, but I made some notes for myself while experimenting with custom settings, and re-worked them for your bitrate settings. You can try them out until the promised guide arrives. I don't know how to change the maximum file size.

I'm using Windows 7 32-bit, and have applied a patch from AMD to the Catalyst Media Center version that came with my card to get the latest Catalyst Media Center version, 1.0.4310.

4200 Kbps CBR is probably too low, but I was able to set up a custom profile for it. (I checked a sample recording with Mediainfo to be sure it worked.)

Starting at the Home Page:
    1. Click "TV"
    2. Select one of the analog sources for "Video Input" (I used S-Video for my set-up.)
    3. Click "Settings"
    4. Click "Recording Settings"
    5. Click "Custom Profile"
    6. Click "Create Profile"
    7. Type in a name for the custom profile. (Type very slowly and don't use spaces.)
    8. Press the Enter key when finished.
    9. At the "Profile" window, I selected "MPEG-2 DVD" for "Compression Standard"
    10. Enter "Width" (I used 720.)
    11. Enter Height" (I used 480.)
    12. Enter "Video Capture Quality" (I used 75.)
    13. Enter "Bitrate" (I typed 4200.)
    14. Check "Variable Bitrate"
    15. Enter "Peak Bitrate" (I typed 4200.)
    16. Uncheck "Variable Bitrate"
    17. Click "Advanced Settings"
    18. Select "Deinterlacing" (I used "Keep Interlace".)
    19. Leave the rest of the "Advanced settings" entries alone, unless you know what they do. (Other than the GOP-related entries I don't know how they are used.)
    20. Click "Apply"
    21. Click the Back button (arrow button) in the top left-hand corner of the "Create Profile" window.
    22. Back at the "Recording Settings" Window, select the new custom setting from the "Recording Quality" drop down list.
    23. Click "Apply"

It is possible to edit custom settings if you make a mistake, but click on "Apply" in both places to get Catalyst Media Center to use the new settings.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the information on how to configure PROFILES. The problem I have with my CMC software is that I'm not able to burn DVD or to convert files. Have you experienced this situation??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dramis View Post
    Thank you for the information on how to configure PROFILES. The problem I have with my CMC software is that I'm not able to burn DVD or to convert files. Have you experienced this situation??
    You haven't provided any information about what you are trying to convert from/to, or described the problems you are having with authoring and burning. If you can give more details, maybe somebody can help you, but it probably won't be me.

I don't want to convert, and have never tried CMC's "Burn to Disc" feature. (I was already accustomed to using other authoring and burning software before I bought a TV card.)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Usually_quiet.

Yes you're right I haven't put much detail.
    When you try to convert files using CMC it creates a new file at 0.00MB. The percentage graph shows up and disappear after 1 or 2 seconds and here you go a file at 0.00MB. I'm trying to convert a MPEG2 file to be able to burn a DVD and read the file on a classical DVD reader. So in fact, could I capture video in a format that I would be able to burn a dvd with (example with NERO) and read it on classical dvd reader?? What other software you already use to convert and burn DVDs??

Second, yes I'm also not able to burn DVD with CMC. It gives me 7FFFBFFB error message everytime. I'm trying to burn on DVD+R.

Regards,
    Dramis
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dramis View Post
    Usually_quiet.

Yes you're right I haven't put much detail.
    When you try to convert files using CMC it creates a new file at 0.00MB. The percentage graph shows up and disappear after 1 or 2 seconds and here you go a file at 0.00MB. I'm trying to convert a MPEG2 file to be able to burn a DVD and read the file on a classical DVD reader. So in fact, could I capture video in a format that I would be able to burn a dvd with (example with NERO) and read it on classical dvd reader?? What other software you already use to convert and burn DVDs??

Second, yes I'm also not able to burn DVD with CMC. It gives me 7FFFBFFB error message everytime. I'm trying to burn on DVD+R.

Regards,
    Dramis
    I tested CMC for authoring .mpg files and burning. This is what I did.

1. Created a folder to hold the video to be burned.
    2. Copied one .mpg file to the folder
    3. Loaded a blank DVD
    4. Turned off my modem.
    5. Opened CMC
    6. Selected "Videos"
    7. Selected "Burn to Disc"
    8. Selected "More Videos"
    9. Navigated to the folder with the video to be authored
    10. Clicked the checkbox beside the folder
    11. Selected "Author and Burn"
    12. Clicked "Settings"
    13. These were the settings I used:
    Disc Format: DVD
    Video Quality DVD Smart Fit
    Video Fomat: USA (NTSC)
    Audio Format: Dolby Digital (the recording had Dolby digital)
    Select Working Folder: the default "MakeDVDVideo" folder

14. Clicked "Apply"
    15. Cilcked "Name Disc"
    17. Typed in a title for the DVD, then pressed he "Enter" key.
    18. Clicked "Select Menu" and picked a template
    19. Clicked "Burn to Disc"
    20. Waited

I tried it for both HD video (and audio) from a 1080i channel and DVD compatible SD video (and audio) from a 480i channel. Both times, CMC completed the task. Given I still don't know much about what you are working with (MPEG-2 video isn't very much information) my best guess is that your problem file contains errors of some sort and can't be converted using this program.

I didn't test the DVDs with a stand-alone DVD player, only Windows Media Player, but they played with that. The menu templates it provides are limited, so the menus it creates aren't very nice looking. The video on the DVD made from the 480i source looked OK. I was less happy with the results for the 1080i source. The DVD was authored with a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of a 16:9 aspect ratio. I don't plan to use CMC again for making DVDs and I suggest you find something better for yourself. ...and it would be a good idea to start a new thread if you decide to ask for help with that.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Jul 2010 at 23:33. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for all these info and your test time. I'm gonna try at home tonight. you say MPEG-2 isn't much of information. I'm not very used to capturing and video quality. I mainly bought ATI 650 USB to use my computer as a PVR so I'm learning slowly how to capture efficiently.

I also capture using SD video signal when capturing from my cable box or COAX if directly from utility.

Regards
    Quote Quote