VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi !
    I've spent the last hour trying to find help with this:
    I am trying to rip a commercial dvd (NTSC) that I have reauthored (to keep alternative angle scenes) to MKV (x264+AAC VBR). The DVD total duration is 4:23:28, but my MKV output is 4:23:31 (+3sec). Therefore, my audio and chapters are out of sync by 3 seconds at the end of the movie. The audio is in sync at the beginning of the movie, and slowly goes out of sync during the movie. I think the problem comes from the IVTC, but I don't know how to fix it.

This is what my avisynth script looks like (with staxrip):
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\StaxRip_1.1.6\Applications\AviSynth plugins\Decomb\Decomb.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\StaxRip_1.1.6\Applications\AviSynth plugins\Decomb\Decomb.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\StaxRip_1.1.6\Applications\AviSynth plugins\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\StaxRip_1.1.6\Applications\AviSynth plugins\TomsMoComp.dll")
    MPEG2Source("E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 temp files\VTS_01_1.d2v")
    Crop(0,0, -Width % 8,-Height % 8)
    ConvertToYV12()
    Telecide(guide=1).Decimate()
    TomsMoComp(-1,5,1)
    Crop(8,64,-8,-64)

I get the same problem in megui:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("E:\Encodages\Rips q\Virtual bree olson\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.d2v", info=3)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll" )
    ColorMatrix(hints=true, interlaced=true, threads=0)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
    tfm(order=1).tdecimate()
    crop( 0, 64, 0, -64)

#resize
    #denoise

What can I do about it ?

Additionally, the movie has very rough edges, and I found no better way to smooth it out than to deinterlace it with tomsmocomp. Is that wrong ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It has nothing to do with the IVTC. You don't need the ConvertToYV12() line since it's already YV12. You don't need the MeGUI generated ColorMatrix line as the ColorMatrix stays the same all the way through. You don't need TomMoComp after the IVTC as that'll deinterlace everything. Your 'rough edges' problem can maybe be improved with something else, but we'll need an untouched 10 second sample, one showing the problem and also showing steady movement.

Almost certainly your out-of-synch problem is caused either by the decrypt or whatever you did to keep the alternative angles, more likely the way you decrypted it. How did you decrypt and keep the angles? And what movie and DVD region is it?
    Last edited by manono; 31st May 2010 at 02:02.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVD is a hum... *looking for the NSFW policy of the forum*...
    DVD is Zone 1 "interactive" DVD. I have used DVD shrink to author the DVD. I then used Vobedit to join the vobs, and ifoedit to correct the chapters. Total length of the final demuxed AC3 stream is 4:23:28.
    I ripped another commercial DVD that I authored in the same way, but that did not require IVTC: same audio drift problem. I am going to try without YV.

As for the "rough edges", here is one of the least offensive 10 sec sample of this dvd : http://www.mediafire.com/?e0jzmnnxkt2
    Note the jagged lines on arms and legs for example.

Thanks a lot for your help !
    Quote Quote  
  4. For the 'rough edges' try this:

separatefields()
    ev = selecteven()
    od = selectodd()
    ev2 = ev.spline36resize(width,height,0,0.25,width,height +.0001)
    interleave(ev2,od).trim(1,0).weave()

Thanks go to Didée for posting the solution over at Doom9, and to me for remembering it and then tracking it down.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1394672#post1394672

As for the audio asynch, since this isn't some high profile DVD with fancy copy protection, which I thought and which led me to think the decrypt was at fault, my guess now is that it has to do with multiple VOB IDs and audio lengths different from the video lengths. Played as a DVD the audio remains in synch. Once everything is thrown all together, the different audios being shorter than the different videos, the total length of the different audios all joined together winds up shorter than the videos all joined, making each section go more out of synch than the section before. I don't know if that made any sense, but you can open the IFO in PGCDemux, tick 'By VOB ID' and look for multiple VOB IDs in the drop down box. The same thing can happen if each chapter was encoded and authored separately. I've made some compilation music DVDs recently where the whole thing played in synch as a DVD, but when demuxed and joined as a complete video it also went progressively out of synch. In the process I accidently discovered that it's a good way to keep someone from copying my work since it's real difficult to convert it to a different format. They could easily burn a DVD copy, though, just not make an XviD AVI or x264 MKV
    Last edited by manono; 31st May 2010 at 07:55.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think your guess on the vob ids is right. I haven't been able to find anything relevant in pcgdemux, but in Vobedit, I found some "navigation packs" where there seems to be a delay for sync purposes:

Do you have any idea about what I could to keep the encode in sync ?

As for the "rough edges", you hit right on the spot !! It is definitely aliasing. I tried the piece of script you gave me, but I haven't managed to use it correctly. I am still new to the avisynth script manual editing: how am I supposed to incorporate those to my script, and what plugins do I have to load?
    I'll study further the thread you gave me, to understand it better.

Thanks a lot for your invaluable help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's not really aliasing. It's the fields not lining up correctly. Using your StaxRip script as a base, just add the new stuff after the IVTC and dump Tom'sMoComp (and the ConvertToYV12):

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\StaxRip_1.1.6\Applications\AviSynth plugins\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\StaxRip_1.1.6\Applications\AviSynth plugins\TomsMoComp.dll")
    MPEG2Source("E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1 temp files\VTS_01_1.d2v")
    Crop(0,0, -Width % 8,-Height % 8)
    separatefields()
    ev = selecteven()
    od = selectodd()
    ev2 = ev.spline36resize(width,height,0,0.25,width,height +.0001)
    interleave(ev2,od).trim(1,0).weave()
    Crop(8,64,-8,-64)
    Nothing additional has to be loaded.

I'm not real sure what has to be done about the synch problem. I can't decipher the VobEdit stuff (although I don't think what you're showing has anything to do with the problem). I suggested checking in PGCDemux. VobBlanker will also show you the Vob IDs. It might take some fooling around to figure out the problem, like demuxing the VOB IDs (if that's the problem) and comparing video with audio lengths. If the problem is at the chapter level, you'll have to demux each chapter. Then you add in silent audio at the end of each audio piece (using DelayCut) so that the audio becomes exactly the same length as the corresponding video.

The first thing I would try would be to run the VOBs through FixVTS. If the problem is unreferenced cells that by itself could fix the problem. My guess is, though, that it won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've ran the dvd files through FixVTS: no change.
    Demuxed the audio and video stream with PGCDemux: audio file appears as 4:23:28, but the video length is never displayed accurately (1:47:23 or other values...).
    When in DGindex or DGcreator: video length appears as 4:23:16
    There are 128 parts, so it will be a tiresome process to add delay in each and every one of them.
    I guess I'll never be able to rip it correctly... %-D

Maybe the problem was caused because of the reauthoring process by DVD shrink, vobedit and ifoedit... Do you have another method you suggest to reauthor a DVD ?

Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ARTO65 View Post
    Demuxed the audio and video stream with PGCDemux: audio file appears as 4:23:28, but the video length is never displayed accurately (1:47:23 or other values...).
    If you're just playing the M2V in a player, then it'll never show the correct length. I think if you open it in GSpot and wait patiently for it to parse through it, it'll give you a proper length. Me, I make a D2V project file using DGIndex and then open an AviSynth script in VDub(Mod) to get an accurate length.
    Maybe the problem was caused because of the reauthoring process by DVD shrink, vobedit and ifoedit.
    I don't think so, but since I never use any of those programs, I can't be positive. After the DVD Shrink process, it plays in synch as a DVD, doesn't it?
    Do you have another method you suggest to reauthor a DVD ?
    Muxman, first, last, and always. But I still think you'll have the problem if, as I suspect, all the video pieces are longer than the audio pieces.
    There are 128 parts, so it will be a tiresome process to add delay in each and every one of them.
    Yep. There are 128 what? Cells? Are you implying this thing has something like episodes? If so, that might support my theory that all the pieces were authored separately and then joined. You could always stretch the audio those 3 seconds and put it almost back in synch.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, there are 128 chapters. I think I'll try the audio stretching and I'll drop the chapters.
    When I put the ac3 file in Audition 3.0 it only loads half of the file... But I think I'll get it to work some way or another. Do you have an audio editor you recommand to stretch and convert to aac directly ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. No, I convert to WAV audio before opening it in Audacity. I do what I have to do and save it, followed by reencoding to whatever my final output will be.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hello Manono !
    Thanks again for your help. I just wanted to let you know that I found a solution for my problem.
    You were completely right about the discrepancy between video frames and audio frames, making the ac3 file shorter than the video stream. I used the function "Quickstream fix" in the videoredo suite to correct that. I've read that someone used ProjectX for that same purpose, but it gave me a corrupted output.
    Quote Quote  
  12. That's good to know for the future. Thanks for reporting back.
    Quote Quote