VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Sorry if this seems like a newbie question, but I'm having great difficulty in getting information.

I have an interest in capturing wildlife images. I've had some success with a USB webcam and motion detection software on my Ubuntu system, but obviously this is cable-length limited and the quality isn't brilliant.

I'm looking into the possibility of using a camcorder with s-video output into a capture card installed in the PC.

What I need to know is the possibility of capturing a live video stream from the s-video output of the camcorder during RECORDING mode. I suppose this is a bit like using the camcorder as a TV camera.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Do camcorders "usually" stream their images during recording onto the AV output, or is it only certain makes/models? Has anyone ever done this?

Many thanks in advance for any information, pointers, experiences.

Cheers
    g8vkv
    Quote Quote  
  2. i would say they would, i have a sony handycam that will do this. all you can do is try and see what happens, you won't break anything.
    If it's an ambulance...you got a chance. If it's a hearse...it's even worse!!!--Judge Alvin "JP" Valkenheiser

Want to extract audio from .vob files? Read my guide at https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187078
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by g8vkv
    Do camcorders "usually" stream their images during recording onto the AV output, or is it only certain makes/models? Has anyone ever done this?
    Yes I have done this with a sony video 8 (8mm) 90s vintage camera. It outputs whatever it is doing - playback or recording.

You'll need software that can stream from an input source off your capture card. That will probably take more doing unless you already have software that can see your particular capture card.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I should have stated that I'm currently "researching" the possibilities and don't actually own one

But it's good to know that it's not a complete dead end. I guess I'll just have to have the sales guy do a demo before I part with my money.

Cheers
    g8vkv
    Quote Quote