VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    With most DVD 16x9 films i watch (plasma tv through my media centre) , i do the following. (PAL System)

Activate Cyberlink Powerdvd, then right click screen KEEP ASPECT RATIO (ticked) - then PAN&SCAN 2.35.1 (ticked).

The picture will then fill the screen. Sometimes this chops a little from all four edges. My missus can live with that.

I have now purchased a LITE-On Bluray Rom for the Media centre.

When i play dvd movies through the new software that came with the bluray rom (Cyberlink 8 Ultra OEM) the dvd upscaled to fill the screen.

The bluray movies would not. I thought, cheap OEM software, lets upgarde the software and try again.

First Try
    Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 ULTRA.

DVD upscales, Bluray plays but won't upscale

Second Try
    WIN DVD Pro 2010

DVD upscales, Bluray plays but won't upscale

I played around with all the menus. No luck for both. The menu items are there, but greyed out.

What am i missing.
    Last edited by oz_surfer; 30th May 2010 at 00:42.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try also Total Media Theatre.

And I guess you mean that you get black borders around the video when you play the blu-ray?...it shouldn't have to be "upscaled".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you mean upscale as in upconvert could it be a hdcp issue? Is your video card a hdcp compliant card? Are you connected via hdmi and not component?

If all else fails and you are simply trying to "crop" the video to fit the screen without black bars than use your tv or monitors zoom function. There should be preset zoom features for 1.78 and 2.35 ratio video so the video fills the screen. (but it will be zoomed in and you will lose the edge material if that is indeed what you want - but this isn't reencoding this is on the fly and the video is unaltered - ie not permanent)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To Baldrick

Yes - i do get black borders at the top and bottom.

This happens with DVD and Bluray.

DVD will allow me to change image to fit screen.

Bluray won't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To yoda313

Yes i do have a HDCP card.

I am connected via a dedicated HDMI port on the graphics card to the port of the TV.

I will give it a go.

Is it possible that for technical restrictions (software based) that the softwares won't allow me to remove black borders for Bluray play, and only for DVD play.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I see. You can zoom(pan&scan) when playing the dvd and not the blu-ray. I don't know any blu-ray player that allows this.
    Quote Quote