VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I'm with Verizon Online DSL, and I'm having problems connecting and/or page loading with *some* sites, such as "news.yahoo" and Slickdeals. Other sites - like Videohelp have no connection/loading issues

The problem began about 2 days ago. I have rebooted the modem and router, and I've even reset the modem but the problem persists. I don't know why only some sites are affected, but not others.

Past experience has demonstrated Verizon's technical support to be quite weak, so I figured I'd ask the knowledgeable community here.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if it's relevant or if what I tried was the final solution, but I couldn't get on Yahoo sites.
    I could ping them OK, but no connection.
    I finally changed the router MTU setting from 1492 to 1472 and rebooted the router.
    It has been working for the last 3 days ok.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	7642
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	2014
    Last edited by sambat; 28th May 2010 at 14:03. Reason: Them grammar.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do you have adblocking software? take a look thru it and see if those sites are marked to be blocked

do you have a custom hosts file? if so , search the the hosts editor and see if those sites are blocked, and unblock them

do you have an ip blocker(peerblock/guardian etc)? if so, check the editor in it and see if those sites are blocked and unblock them

if you have a software firewall theres also a chance it could be blocking those sites

also, go here...

http://www.imsly.com/

and go to those sites that arent working thru the proxy...see if they work that way...narrow your options down
    Quote Quote  
  4. Additional info, based on the above replies:

1. The router idea... I'll see if that helps. Thanks.

2. I don't have real-time blockers, only Avast! which monitors network activity. I should add that I don't think there's a problem on my PC, because when the problem first began 2 days ago, I used a backup I made a week prior just to roll back the system to a time when all internet functions were good. This did not solve the issue. I therefore suspect that Verizon is the culprit. Is this logic sound, or is there something else I should consider or be looking at?

Thanks everyone for your help. It's really appreciated, believe me
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had this same issue about 2 months ago, I had to call my ISP and report the issue. They told me that people 15 miles away had the same issue with logging into or going to secure sites like yahoo. After enough complaints later that day everything was running fines again. So if messing with your router's settings doesn't help I'd recommend contacting your ISP, it may just be on their end.

Best of luck,

Tedness
    Last edited by Tedness; 28th May 2010 at 23:14. Reason: spelling error
    Talk nerdy to me
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you ping the sites?
    Other things you can do
    start -> run -> netsh int reset all
    start -> run -> ipconfig /flushdns
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well, I tried out all the suggestions above, and still no joy.

Since I last posted, I have removed my router and connected my DSL modem (a Westell 6100, provided by Verizon) directly to my PC's LAN port.

I then logged into the Westell's control panel. Since I had previously reset the modem, the first thing I did was to secure it by changing the default user and password.

Then I navigated thoughout the modem's status and configuration displays. This showed that the internet access to Verizon was okay (768k/128k link was present). Next, I launched a browser window (IE8, on WinXP Pro 32-bit SP2, by the way) and tried to connect to various websites. The problem was still there. I can access some pages like Google and Videohelp without any problems, and other sites like Yahoo will not load (though all sites do seem to connect).

Also since my last post, I called Verizon technical support - which was, as expected, unfruitful. He went down the usual pathways of rebooting the modem, clearing the browser cache, setting IE8's Advanced Internet settings to default, opening a CMD window and typing "ipconfig /flushdns" and finally configuring internet protocal (TCP/IP) properties from "obtain DNS server address automatically" to "use the following preferred DNS server address" which he gave me over the phone. This last attempt did seem to solve the problem for some sites, but also caused new loading issues for other sites which were fine before.

Thankfully Videohelp has not been affected by all this. I'm hopeful that somebody out there will be able to offer new insights and guidance into this problem. I'm still thinking that the problem is on Verizon's end, since as stated earlier, I've removed my router, so any improper configurations there have been rendered moot.

Thanks again for reading, and for any suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a last suggestion, if u have a laptop or know some1 who does(or spare desktop), plug it in and see if the same problem persists. you'll know the culprit then.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    a last suggestion, if u have a laptop or know some1 who does(or spare desktop), plug it in and see if the same problem persists. you'll know the culprit then.
    Another computer failed in the same manner. Also have been monitoring Verizon's Online DSL/Dial-up forum and dlsreports subforum for Verizon DSL. Others are reporting the same issue. Pity, Verizon has been pretty reliable (for me, at least) up to this point.

Thanks for all the replies, gents
    Quote Quote  
  10. *RESOLVED*

Verizon DSL runs good now. Just had to wait it out for several days. Thanks again, everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What did Verizon or you did ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by SingSing View Post
    What did Verizon or you did ?
    I don't know what was done to fix the issue. Been struggling with the problem for about 3 days, then suddenly at about noon today (5/30) everything started working good again. I'll keep an eye out on the Verizon DSL forums (at Verizon Online's website and at dslreports) and see if an explanation emerges. If it does, I'll update this post.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I don't change settings these days, I just reset things & if that doesn't do it, just wait it out.

I also do a Traceroute to see what computer or hubs are affected & that is very easy to do as Traceroute is included with windoz. It gives which hub or computer on the way isn't responding & then I can inform them about it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sounds to me like they might have had some issues with their DNS servers. If it happens again, have a different set of DNS server addresses on hand to see if they resolve the problem. Here is the info for Google's Public DNS Servers.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    do you have adblocking software? take a look thru it and see if those sites are marked to be blocked

do you have a custom hosts file? if so , search the the hosts editor and see if those sites are blocked, and unblock them

do you have an ip blocker(peerblock/guardian etc)? if so, check the editor in it and see if those sites are blocked and unblock them

if you have a software firewall theres also a chance it could be blocking those sites

also, go here...

http://www.imsly.com/

and go to those sites that arent working thru the proxy...see if they work that way...narrow your options down

----
    2 years late....This method worked for me at least. Thanks. I personally registered to say thank you (if you ever read it); cause for a few days; I thought it was cookies/history/cache that need to be deleted until that stopped working a day later and was pretty frustrated. I tried the proxy and sites now work.

So anyone who comes on this site; can try this method as well.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    used to have trouble with yahoo.com not loading once in a while. switched to Open DNS Servers
    http://www.opendns.com/opendns-ip-addresses
    no problems since then.
    Quote Quote