VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am converting a mkv. movie with tsmuxer and then img burn to put it on a dual layer dvd. I am new to this but have converted a couple mkv. files to bluray and they worked fine. One movie is squished when I play it back on my bdp2500 set top bluray player. It is like it is 16:9 squished to 4:3. My aspect ratio is correct on my bluray player and TV. It plays fine on my computer with media player or VLC.

Has anyone had this happen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check your mkv files with mediainfo. My guess is that they are not AVCHD compliant. TSMuxer will happily author them, but they will not play back correctly. For 720p material the resolution must be 1280 x 720. For 1080 material it must 1920 x 1080. My suspicion is that your files have had the letterbox or pillarbox bars cropped off, and these will have to be put back (meaning a re-encode) before you can author a playable disc.

Options :

Cropmkv - will add the missing bars and re-encode the video, giving you an mkv ready to author with TSMuxer.

Multi-AVCHD - from the same author as cropmkv (cropmkv is a subset of Multi-AVCHD), this will add back the bars, re-encode, add menus (if you want) and author an AVCHD structure for several different playback formats.

AVCHDCoder - an alternative AVCHD encoder/authoring tool.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks a bunch I will try it out.

Also it seems like many mkv come to be 4.71gb after I use tsmuxer. Is there an easy way to make it a little smaller so it fits on a 4.7gb disc?
    Quote Quote  
  4. aa
    Last edited by heckybaby; 29th May 2010 at 02:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. If you look at the resolution you will notice that it is 1280 x 544, which is not compliant. You need to add the missing letterbox bars to bring the resolution up to 1280 x 720.

I would recommend that you use Multi-AVCHD and follow the instruction in this post, which is basically for the same problem.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks I'll try it
    Quote Quote  
  7. The multiavchd worked. Thanks

It is not a big deal, when each chapter starts, the running time pops up on the bottom of the screen. Is their a way to remove it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As it plays through each chapter point, or if you start a chapter form the chapter menu ?

I don't have Multi-AVCHD on this machine, so I can't check right now, but I believe there is something like this in the authoring settings. You will have to go through the tabs and look at the settings. I don't believe I have seen this in any of the discs I have done, so it isn't something that is on by default. also, I only play these back with a PS3 - perhaps it is a setting in your player that is doing this ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It happens if the MKV has embeded chapter-names. multiAVCHD adds them as subtitle track (useful for concerts/songs compilations). User can remove the chapter-name-subtitles in [properties] / [external subtitles] tab.
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote