VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Guys,

I have recently captured a video cassette (Dumb & Dumber movie) with a TV tuner card. The captured AVI file was about 40 Gigs in size (uncompressed). I successfully compressed the original file to around 1 Gig using Virtual Dub and the XVid codec.

My intention is to convert the compressed avi (which plays fine, no audio lag, etc) into a DVD file structure.

Toward this end I used Cucusoft Video Converter to create a VOB file. I would then usually create a DVD structure from the VOB file using DVD Styler. DVD Styler allows for straight burning or the creation of an ISO file (which I prefer because an ISO can be shrunk using DVD Shrink) with the required AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder structure.

I am running into an issue with audio sync when using Cucusoft to create a VOB file from my captured (and compressed) video file. I recognize that the issue is caused by a low audio bit rate.

Do you know of any conversion software that works well with odd audio bit rates? Ideally software that allows for full customization of the audio bit rate is desirable. The software doesn’t necessarily have to give me the final DVD folder structure, as I can create this using DVD Styler provided that I have a VOB with good audio!

Thanks

Dave
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but there is so much wrong with your process I don't know where to start.

The conversion to Xvid was a waste of time and a needless reduction in quality. Don't do it. Either capture directly to mpeg-2 at compliant DVD specs, or capture big (as you have done) and then convert directly to mpeg-2 DVD compliant specs from that.

Use AVStoDVD to convert your file. It uses a high quality encoder (much better than anything Cucusoft can do), and you can either have it author your disc as well (and burn with Imgburn) or output elementary streams that can be used in DVD Styler.

DVD Shrink can open a Video_TS folder. It is not limited to ISO files.

Always aim to make your files fit, rather than taking a guess, then having to use DVD Shrink afterwards.

Your process

1. Capture to large file (good)
    2. Convert to Xvid (first loss of quality)
    3. Convert to mpeg-2 with Cucusoft (second loss of quality)
    4. Author with DVD Styler (OK)
    5. Reduce size to DVD 5 with DVD Shrink (third loss of quality)

See a pattern here ?

A better process

1. Capture to large file
    2. Encode to the right size and with DVD compliant specs with a good encoder (minimal and only quality loss)
    3. Author and burn

Simpler process, much less quality loss, better outcome.

Finally, audio bitrate - again, look at the DVD specification. You are limited to certain bitrates based on the encoding you use. A good encoder will not let you do anything outside these. AVStoDVD will take care of all of this for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I will give your suggestions a go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The author of DVD Rebuilder moved on to BD Rebuilder - a similar product for Blurays. DVD Rebuilder isn't perfect, but it offers a lot for free, and really works well enough as it is.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote