VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there! I'm having some problem which i supposed hapeend during/after deinterlacing when i ripping some stuff fro me from DVD. I'm using meGUI for making script and vdub for encoding. When i "analyze source" in meGUI it says:

Source: Hybrid Film/Interlaced. Mostly interlaced
    Field Order: Varying Field order

Here is DGindex info for source:

Click image for larger version

Name:	23tf3gj.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1956

Here is how it looks like after deinterlacing,in this case TIVTC (tfm(order=-1).tdecimate(hybrid=3)

Name:	9zn8s3.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1957

Screenshot can not introduce my problem very well,but problem is under ballons (almost every red colored area). You will see that in video!

here is sample of video - 9 sec.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=35DMWNMX

Also i tried several filters for deinterlacing,but the problems is always here...

If you have suggestion how to solve this problem,and was it caused by deinterlacing,or some other thing,please help...

Thanks in advance! Marko
    Last edited by Hombre_86; 24th May 2010 at 11:10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. looks like xvid compression artifacts

either use a higher bitrate (lower quantizer) , or better compression (e.g. h.264)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    looks like xvid compression artifacts

either use a higher bitrate (lower quantizer) , or better compression (e.g. h.264)
    I don't think so! I make this sample @ approx 1000kbps. But i tied @ 1800,and the problem is still here! Thanks for reply!
    Quote Quote  
  4. exactly what are your arrows pointing to?

the bottom arrow is definitely a compression artifact

post a corresponding sample of the source , and the avs script used
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hombre_86 View Post
    here is sample of video - 9 sec.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=35DMWNMX

Also i tried several filters for deinterlacing,but the problems is always here...

If you have suggestion how to solve this problem,and was it caused by deinterlacing,or some other thing,please help...

Thanks in advance! Marko
    I've posted already!

Edit: I am dumb, didn't understand you! OK,i will cut off the part of VOB and paste avs script!
    Quote Quote  
  6. need to look at original source i.e. vob or m2v

your encoded file has blends, and some dot crawl as well as compression artifacts

if it's <30MB you can upload it directly to this site
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 24th May 2010 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SAMPLE-MPEG.M2V

Here is sample cutted off from original VOB (M2V) file in my attacment.

AVS script i used:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("H:\movie\VideoFile.d2v", info=3)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll")
    ColorMatrix(hints=true, interlaced=true, threads=0)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
    tfm(order=-1).tdecimate(hybrid=3)
    Last edited by Hombre_86; 24th May 2010 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
  8. your video attachment isn't showing up...
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's hard to say for sure from the Xvid encoding but it looks to me like your DVD was made from a composite source and has dot crawl artifacts. Also, keep in mind that MPEG 2 and Xvid use YV12 color subsampling so colors will always have half (both axis) the resolution of the luma channel. This causes colors to look blurrier than grayscale. And regardless of what you think of the bitrate, there's not enough in your xvid file. It has lots of macroblocks. There may be an interlaced vs progressive YV12 problem too. I'll need to see the source m2v before I can comment further.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Source added!

SAMPLE-MPEG.M2V

Here is sample cutted off from original VOB (M2V) file in my attacment.

AVS script i used:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("H:\movie\VideoFile.d2v", info=3)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll")
    ColorMatrix(hints=true, interlaced=true, threads=0)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
    tfm(order=-1).tdecimate(hybrid=3)

Last edited by Hombre_86; 24th May 2010 at 12:08.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ouch! That's a lot of chroma/luma crosstalk. Indeed your DVD was made from an analog composite source and there's lots of dot crawl artifacts. All that noise is why you need a much higher bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK! I think 1200 kbps will be enough. What are you suggest for deinterlace?When i play M2V file in VLC media player and choose for deinterlace (in VLC) bob,that problem is solved. So,the cause is deinterlace on first place,right?

P.S. I think you don't understand me. Look at M2V (source file) under red baloons and red colored area. It has some strange lines,like some kind of interlace...
    Last edited by Hombre_86; 24th May 2010 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Hombre_86 View Post
    OK! I think 1200 kbps will be enough. What are you suggest for deinterlace?When i play M2V file in VLC media player and choose for deinterlace (in VLC) bob,that problem is solved. So,the cause is deinterlace on first place,right?

P.S. I think you don't understand me. Look at M2V (source file) under red baloons and red colored area. It has some strange lines,like some kind of interlace...

nope, as mentioned above, it's dot crawl

bob deinterlacing won't fix it, look closely in vlc bob for example, it's still very bad. You can use an avisynth filter like checkmate or tcomb

you have a messy source, it requires a bit of work to improve it, I'll post something a bit later
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dot crawl.png
Views:	1516
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	1960  

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know source has a big noise.

Can you rip this source sample with your filters and configuration, and upload it?
    Then i will compare it with my config...
    Quote Quote  
  15. 1) The first screenshot is the original, just TFM().TDecimate() to IVTC
    2) The 2nd is treated with the script, not cropped or resized
    3) The 3rd is same as (2) , but cropped and resized

These were taken before compression.

It would be a good idea to start learning the avisynth basics , because MeGUI's auto analyzer can (and often does) make mistakes. Once you are a bit familiar you can start looking into some of the filters

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\aWarpSharp_20090619\aWarpSharp.dll")
    MPEG2Source("SAMPLE-MPEG.d2v")
    Checkmate()
    TFM().TDecimate()
    DFTTest()
    AwarpSharp2(depth=10)
    Toon(strength=0.9)
    LSFMod(defaults="slow", strength=150)
    Tweak(sat=1.1,coring=false)
    Crop(12,0,-4,0,true)
    LanczosResize(640,480)

original IVTCed

script

script with crop & resize
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Hombre_86 View Post
    I know source has a big noise.

Can you rip this source sample with your filters and configuration, and upload it?
    Then i will compare it with my config...

yes the noise "eats" up bitrate; it requires a lot more bitrate for a certain level of "quality". So most people would process it with filters to denoise it to lower your bitrate requirements. On most types of anime, most people would say it subjectively looks better to have "clean" animation

remember, all the filters are adjustable and tweakable. So you should customize the settings to your specific tastes. For example, I thinned the lines a bit, and made the picture a bit sharper (since the original was a bit blurry). Other people might want it to look a bit blurry - there is no "right" way to do it - it's personal preference

here is that script encoded with xvid ~1Mbps
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. Interlaced MPEG 2 always that type of problem:

Name:  4x.png
Views: 2004
Size:  22.8 KB

Again, this comes from the interlaced YV12 subsampling used in MPEG 2. The problems are further exacerbated by the Y/C crosstalk noise and MPEG overcompression. You can reduce it a bit with DgDecode's deblocking option. Or you can blur it away. Deinterlacing or IVTC will not make it go away. Actually, a blend deinterlace (because of the blurring) will make it go away but will screw up the rest of the picture.

If you want to understand what's going on read this:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_2/dvd-benchmark-special-report-chroma-bug-4-2001.html
    And see the section entitled "4:2:0 Interlaced: Fundamentally Broken".
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th May 2010 at 13:55.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks people! Your rip is very good poisondeathray.

Which player you using? I spotted diferences in playin' in MV2Player then in VLC and Media Player Classic,windows media player

Btw, when i play both samples,your and mine,picture show that lines under red baloons,but only in mv2 player! So,definatelly it cause by the player,which i can not explain. Same codecs are used for all players,except VLC which one using his codecs...
    Quote Quote  
  19. are you talking about interlaced chroma lines?

the choice of renderer makes a difference, and how it upsamples the 4:2:0 YV12 to RGB for display. e.g. look here https://www.videohelp.com/toolsimages/madvr_1196.jpg

you can change renderer in different software players.

dot crawl is another topic, that looks like "buzzing" dots when played. On a framegrab, I circled it above - it sort of looks like a "waffle" pattern
    Quote Quote  
  20. In your original post, actually 3/4 of your blue arrows pointed to compression artifacts.

If you had used x264, you would get better quality even at ~1/2 the filesize of the xvid file

Here is an example using the same script using x264 at ~500kb/s , the video is attached below

Below are representative screenshots, notice the artifacts along the lines in the xvid encode. The fact is, every frame is better with the x264 encode, even though it is using ~1/2 the bitrate. If you example the beginning sequence fade in, the xvid encode is very bad, with blocky looking artifacts.

Here is a script to compare the 2, you could open the .avs in avsp or vdub, for example, and just
    push the arrow key.

Code:
    a=AVISource("xvid 1Mbps.avi").subtitle("xvid")
    b=FFMpegSource2("x264.500kbps.mp4").subtitle("x264")
    Interleave(a,b)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xvid.png
Views:	683
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	1963  

Name:	x264.png
Views:	723
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	1964  

Name:	xvid1.png
Views:	606
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1966  

Name:	x2641.png
Views:	703
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	1967  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    are you talking about interlaced chroma lines?

the choice of renderer makes a difference, and how it upsamples the 4:2:0 YV12 to RGB for display. e.g. look here https://www.videohelp.com/toolsimages/madvr_1196.jpg

you can change renderer in different software players.

dot crawl is another topic, that looks like "buzzing" dots when played. On a framegrab, I circled it above - it sort of looks like a "waffle" pattern
    Yeah,i am talking exactly about that! It shows under baloons,when i playing file with mv2player,but not if i am using mpc.
    As i can see it is problem which can not be solved with some kind of filters. It caused by transmitting analog video to digital,if i understood very well according to wikipedia. So, you suggest me to use x264 for compressing... I will consider that,maybe to make OGM or MKV container... Thanks ppl.

Just need to setup x264,i never had a chance to mess with this codec...

1.Is it possible to use x264 codec in VirtualDub?
    2.What configuration you used for it?
    Last edited by Hombre_86; 24th May 2010 at 19:58.
    Quote Quote  
  22. If you want to use x264, use it in MeGUI and rely on Avisynth scripts to do whatever cutting or filtering you need (with AvsPmod to do frame previewing). It's a better way since it relies on mainstream x264.

There's a version of x264 available for VirtualDub, but it may have limitations/problems. It's called x264vfw and you can get it at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/

Install it and it should appear on your list of codecs in Vdub.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks man.I will probbably try using it on meGUI. Because i have reed that in VFW may cause some bugs.
    Quote Quote  
  24. There isn't really a problem encoding x264 into an AVI container. The problem arises from decoding with VFW. VFW is based on a one-frame-in-one-frame-out model and it can't really cope with MPEG's out of order decoding. That's usually only an issue of you are going to edit the x264 AVI. The x264vfw encoder is usually not up to date so it's not quite as efficient as the latest CLI x264. I sometimes encode with VirtualDub and x264vfw to an AVI container then remux into an MKV container later.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The x264vfw encoder is usually not up to date so it's not quite as efficient as the latest CLI x264.
    The x264vfw encoder included in VirtualDub is massively out of date (from 2006); I wouldn't call it merely "not quite as efficient". But there's a modern up-to-date build being maintained at Sourceforge, which I linked earlier. It doesn't work for all applications, but does work with Vdub.
    Quote Quote  
  26. If anyone is going to use x264vfw, I would use the builds from here:

http://komisar.gin.by/

They are up to date, e.g. r1602 as of today, ie. is the same as the CLI up to date release

This version can encode to .mp4/.mkv/RAW as well , even in vdub , which saves the step of muxing later

It still has limitations compared to CLI version, and those are listed in the Doom9 x264vfw thread
    Quote Quote