VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VGA to S-Video & Composite adapters are pretty ubiquitous anyplace online that sells cables, but as far as I know, they only work with a very small number of video cards, which doesn't include any nVidia or ATI cards. So I ask:

- Does anyone have a list of the cards that actually DO support this?
    - Am I overly cynical to think that there are so many cables made available for such an obscure feature so as to trick people into buying them because they cost about 90% less than a scan converter?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I haven't heard of any computer graphics card has had s-video or component on the VGA connector for 10 years or more. I don't think you're overly cyincal about the reasons people are selling those adapters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I figured. Was it ever common in the first place or was it obscure when it was around?

To their credit, some vendors (like Monoprice and certain eBay sellers) do have disclaimers that you should check with the video card manufacturer first.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some of the ATI chipset based cards had a DVI > component adapter available from ATI or other sources. The component adapter only worked on some series of Radeon cards. Haven't seen one for VGA sockets. S-video output is a bit more common, along with a S-video to composite adapter that came with the card.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    That's what I figured. Was it ever common in the first place or was it obscure when it was around?
    It was never common.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So these cables are everywhere largely to rip people off. Lovely.

Good on Monoprice for the disclaimer but the fact that they carry that and not some more widely used adapters (like headphone right angle adapters and S-Video to composite video adapters) is lame.
    Quote Quote