VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all,

I've been reading these forums for quite awhile and I felt this was the best place to get some help regarding my issue. Basically I've ripped several videos from YouTube using the YouTube Downloader by Dvdvideosoft.com. The video plays just fine in VLC, but when I try to import it to Vegas 6.0, there is no audio track whatsoever. Video imports fine but under Audio the description reads "Stream attributes could not be determined.

I've run G-Spot and the audio codec used on the YouTube videos is 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3, which I have installed according to G-Spot.

I know that a possible solution would be to convert the audio stream to .wav or something and import it seperately, but I will be working with quite a few videos and it would take a substantial amount of time to do that for all the videos.

I'm hoping there's a way to just be able to import the audio directly. I've got ffdshow and it still doesn't import the audio. Can anyone offer any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VBR or CBR MP3 ? Vegas doesn't like VBR MP3, especially the older versions of Vegas (and 6 is getting old). As you are obviously converting the files when you download, why not convert them to a more Vegas friendly format ? Vegas will happily take PCM, or CBR MP3.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply guns1inger. I've checked the vids with VirtualDub and it's definitely VBR mp3. And yeah I'm aware that Vegas 6.0 is a pretty old version. I haven't got around to buying updated software yet coz I'm just getting back into the business of video editing.

Would you happen to know if a newer versions of Vegas are ok with VBR mp3? What about alternatives like Adobe Premiere?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VBR MP3 is designed for playback only. It is not designed for anything else, so most editors either don't like it at all, or will have issues if they do load it (usually sync issues). I don't know if Premiere handles it any better than Vegas. I don't use premiere, and I don't use VBR MP3.

I strongly suggest that all future downloads get encoded to at least CBR MP3, and even better to an edit friendly format.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll definitely try to avoid any VBR mp3s in the future

On a side note though, would you happen to know any specific YouTube downloaders that endcode to CBR? The software I currently use does not have options to change the output audio format =/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any Video Converter Free can do CBR MP3. Vegas (at least 7 and 8) will also happily work with the MP4 version of youtube clips, so it is worth grabbing those where they exist. I use video download helper with firefox for this.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote