VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am considering buy the Pioneer BDR - 205BK but whilst researching the capabilities of this drive there has been mention of threads about its poor transfering to HD speeds.

I have been looking for these discussions on severeal forums for 2 nights now but cannot find any mention of said poor ripping.

Can anybody point me in the right direct for this.

Has anybody any other comments on the Pioneer BDR-205BK.

Cheers Art
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I do not own this drive, but you are wise to ask this question. We live in an age where anything that takes more than 5 minutes to do is considered unreasonable by some people. I would definitely want confirmation from an owner that this actually true. One review I found on Newegg said it could take hours to rip a BluRay disc. Another review said it could do a whole BluRay disc in 14 minutes. Keep in mind that the drive could be bad or the first customer could simply be a moron and have it running in some kind of degraded mode by not connecting correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I assume this is the drive you're talking about:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129051

I own it and it's been flawless in every way. The max Blu-ray rip speed is 8x, I can rip a dual layer Blu-ray in about 20 minutes in my HP i7 PC, that's not bad at all considering that there's up to 50gb of data on there. Look at the specs in the link above, if you've done your research you'll find that this drive is the fastest at just about everything it does and it's most likely the highest rated BD burner out there right now. I've burned about 60 Blu-ray discs and ripped even more than that, I've had no problems at all. I wish I had the money, I'd buy another one and ditch the LG DVD-ROM that came with my PC. I HIGHLY recommend this drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I own it and love it, it's not the fastest ripper, but fast enough. It is the fastest burner. But none of that matters to me, what's a couple of minutes either way. I'm only interested in quality, and for that I don't think there is any better.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    I own it and love it, it's not the fastest ripper, but fast enough. It is the fastest burner. But none of that matters to me, what's a couple of minutes either way. I'm only interested in quality, and for that I don't think there is any better.
    Yeah, the quality is great and that's all that matters. I just want to point out that the Pioneer is the fastest burner (up to 12x) but I burn BD-R's at 4x only right now, see no reason to burn any faster as the quality has been perfect. At 4x it takes about 15-20 minutes to burn a 25gb BD-R, that's fast enough for me. Besides, I haven't seen BD-R media rated higher than 4x yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bbanderic View Post
    Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    Yeah, the quality is great and that's all that matters. I just want to point out that the Pioneer is the fastest burner (up to 12x) but I burn BD-R's at 4x only right now, see no reason to burn any faster as the quality has been perfect. At 4x it takes about 15-20 minutes to burn a 25gb BD-R, that's fast enough for me. Besides, I haven't seen BD-R media rated higher than 4x yet.
    Totally agree!
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by art305 View Post
    I am considering buy the Pioneer BDR - 205BK but whilst researching the capabilities of this drive there has been mention of threads about its poor transfering to HD speeds.

I have been looking for these discussions on severeal forums for 2 nights now but cannot find any mention of said poor ripping.

Can anybody point me in the right direct for this.

Has anybody any other comments on the Pioneer BDR-205BK.

Cheers Art

http://club.myce.com/f142/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanx for the reply bought 1 this morning will report in this thread how I go on in a few days.

All of what I have discovered up to know about the drive has been positve.

I agree speed is not the highest priority but waitig 5 hours to over night to 3 days for a device to finaly fail with an obscure error code
    is no fun.

Believe me I have done this quite a few times.

Cheers Art.
    Quote Quote