VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys!

I'd like to add some "smooth" to my input video. I mean, something like what "smoother" does in VirtualdubMod, but I'm now working with Avisynth. What avisynth plugin would you recommend, and could you also explain to me how to use/configure it? (an example script would be awesome!)

I've tried to use SmootherHiQ and found an example script too, but don't know what the parameters mean in it... any idea?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. can you describe exactly what you want to do? I'm not familiar with smoother in vdubmod

do you mean denoise temporally ? or do mean motion interpolation (like inserting new frames) to make motion more smooth ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Smoother is a spacial denoiser in VirtualDub. I don't know if there is any exact equivalent but some filter like UnDot(), DeNoise(), Degrain(), MvDegrain(), MvDenoise(), FFT3D(), etc.

http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He might also want to try something like Undot().FluxsmoothST(3,3) for some light-medium denoise. Fluxsmooth is a decent denoiser that is relatively fast. When I want to denoise, I generally use undot().fft3dfilter(sigma=1), but it is a bit slower than Fluxsmooth (but seems to keep more detail than fluxsmooth). Not sure what smoother was like in vdub since I have little experience with vdub for conversion. Consider installing AvsP and just tinkering with various denoisers and settings to see what you like for output.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, basically what I'm trying to do is removing those annoying pixel marks from the video, which has probably been upscaled from low resolution flash video. Or just making it less annoying..

Source:

Output with vdubmod "smoother=100"

Does a "random" avisnyth denoiser do this for me? If so, then I guess I'll have a go with FFT3DFilter, which I know at least a little bit (thanks to poisondeathray )
    Quote Quote  
  6. You want to use a deblocking filter, not a noise reducer. Deblocking filters need to be run at the original frame size because they are optimized for 8x8 blocks (caused by DCT compression). Your sample images are 960x540 with 6x6 boxes and resizing artifacts. Hopefully you have the 1280x720 originals.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st May 2010 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote