VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking about backing up my entire collection of about 500 DVD's as ISO files and using my modded XBOX with XBMC to stream them from my PC. I already have about 300 movies on my PC that I use XBMC to play them with and like the idea of having them all on there. Before I start this huge project, I'd like some input from everyone. Is there anything I need to know before I get this going? I've never ripped a DVD as an ISO image (but I can do it). I'd like to save some hard drive space and not copy every language on each disc, but that's not possible when ripping as an ISO image right? I'm also wondering approximately how much hard drive space I'd need. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD will rip the DVD to an ISO image. But it will simply be a 1:1 copy, and will contain all the languages, but DVDShrink can take care of that after you rip it.

For the DVD's you currently have on your computer you can use DVDShrink. It will take out the languages you don't need, and then you can output a compressed ISO.

Each DVD averages about 4GB. Of course, if you are worried about the best quality possible then they can be more.
    So, 500 DVD's would be about 2TB of hard drive space!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smackyourfupa View Post
    I already have about 300 movies on my PC that I use XBMC to play them with
    In what format ?
    I am suspecting AVI (Divx/Xvid) or WMV.
    In which case you need to rip and then convert.

I'd like to save some hard drive space and not copy every language on each disc, but that's not possible when ripping as an ISO image right?
    Right and wrong.
    It depends on how you rip them.
    If you use DVDFab you can select only the main movie with only the audio track and sub you want, leaving out the other audio tracks, the space will be minimal as the video is what takes up the majority of space.

I'm also wondering approximately how much hard drive space I'd need. Thanks!
    That would depend on the original size of the source dvd.
    And if you kept them in actual dvd specs or converted them to a more compressed format.

Originally Posted by santino_avi View Post
    Each DVD averages about 4GB.
    Maybe after being compressed.

You could rip them with dvd decrypter (if they are old enough to be ripped by it) then opened in dvdshrink and remove the extra audio tracks, ect, and transcoded to fit on a dvdr then they would take up 4gb's, but if they are newer releases you will need something more current to rip them and bypass/break the newer copy protections.

I am assuming you have these "300" dvds on your pc's HDD in another format other than dvd.
    So more specific detail would help greatly!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help so far. I think I was unclear though. The movies already on my pc are in AVI format and are fine as is. It's my dvd collection i'd like to rip and store on my PC also. I do not want to compress at all but would like to remove languages and non needed audio tracks. I would also like to keep the menus. I'm thinking if I run the dvd's through DVD shrink first to remove whatever i don't want then make the resulting folder into an ISO image with DVD Decrypter that would probably work. I do have 500 dvd's though and considering they range from 4.5gb to 7.5 gb for dual layer you still think i'd only need about 2tb??
    Last edited by smackyourfupa; 22nd May 2010 at 03:47.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so I just started ripping the discs with DVD shrink. I've decided it's pointless to rip them as ISO's. Under preferences, I have DVD-9 set as the target size. Just wanted to make sure it isnt messing with the quality at all and not encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To save space and headache, it would be easier to convert all you media to high qulity mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bwizzy View Post
    To save space and headache, it would be easier to convert all you media to high qulity mp4.
    If i did that then the menus would be gone and I dont think XBMC it capable of playing mp4 files. I dont want to encode the video at all, I want exact copies of the discs (with the exception of removing some language tracks).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If i did that then the menus would be gone and I dont think XBMC it capable of playing mp4 files. I dont want to encode the video at all, I want exact copies of the discs (with the exception of removing some language tracks).
    So, let me get this straight, you want all your movies with the menus and the extras from the DVD? Also, you're only going to keep the subtitles you want right?

BTW, XBMC plays all forms of video file extensions.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes thats right..
    i have some mp4 files it doesnt play bc they are HD
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by santino_avi View Post
    Each DVD averages about 4GB.
    Maybe after being compressed.

You could rip them with dvd decrypter (if they are old enough to be ripped by it) then opened in dvdshrink and remove the extra audio tracks, ect, and transcoded to fit on a dvdr then they would take up 4gb's, but if they are newer releases you will need something more current to rip them and bypass/break the newer copy protections.

I am assuming you have these "300" dvds on your pc's HDD in another format other than dvd.
    So more specific detail would help greatly![/QUOTE]

What would be the point in using BOTH DVD Decrypter AND DVD Shrink??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have ripped my entire collection of DVD's using DVDShrink with DVD43 to take care of region settings for my drive. I elected to make uncompressed ISO's of the main movie only. I can then stream them over my network via my PVR Beyonwiz P1. A few I had to use other rippers because of protection but once again I chose not to compress. So basically they look as good as playing a DVD and maintain all the chapter points sans menu's and languages other then English. I have 3 terrabytes worth
    The originals are stored well away from grubby hands...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I have ripped my entire collection of DVD's using DVDShrink with DVD43 to take care of region settings for my drive. I elected to make uncompressed ISO's of the main movie only. I can then stream them over my network via my PVR Beyonwiz P1. A few I had to use other rippers because of protection but once again I chose not to compress. So basically they look as good as playing a DVD and maintain all the chapter points sans menu's and languages other then English. I have 3 terrabytes worth
    Yeah I pretty much have started this project and ripped a good amount so far only using dvd shrink. Like I said, I'm making exact backups with the exceptions of languages and subtitles I do not need. I just wanted to double check that DVD shrink does not compress the video whatsoever when the setting is at dvd 9.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Because,
    1. dvddecrypter was/is a better designed ripper.
    2. dvddecrypter was developed longer than dvdshrink and will handle newer/later copy protections that dvdshrink can not.

Which is why i suggested using DVDFab as it is a current ripper and will handle newer copy protections made years after dvddecrypter ceased development, and with the pay version you can strip anything you do not need or want all in one process, even convert to other formats, xvid, mk4, mkv, wmv, ect.

I'm thinking if I run the dvd's through DVD shrink first to remove whatever i don't want then make the resulting folder into an ISO image with DVD Decrypter that would probably work.
    FYI, you can't make an ISO from files on your HDD with dvddecrypter.
    So if you planned on doing that, even though you can't, you may as well use dvddecrypter to rip them then dvdshrink to remove items and make them into ISO's.
    So i don't know what the point of using both programs would be
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Because,
    1. dvddecrypter was/is a better designed ripper.
    2. dvddecrypter was developed longer than dvdshrink and will handle newer/later copy protections that dvdshrink can not.

Which is why i suggested using DVDFab as it is a current ripper and will handle newer copy protections made years after dvddecrypter ceased development, and with the pay version you can strip anything you do not need or want all in one process, even convert to other formats, xvid, mk4, mkv, wmv, ect.

I'm thinking if I run the dvd's through DVD shrink first to remove whatever i don't want then make the resulting folder into an ISO image with DVD Decrypter that would probably work.
    FYI, you can't make an ISO from files on your HDD with dvddecrypter.
    So if you planned on doing that, even though you can't, you may as well use dvddecrypter to rip them then dvdshrink to remove items and make them into ISO's.
    So i don't know what the point of using both programs would be
    Thanks, but i'm not going to make them into ISO's anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    So how many DVD's did it take to get 3tb worth??
    Quote Quote