VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I try to convert a HD avi video to DVD using the free software Dvdtivi lite.
    It seems that after conversion, the video on my DVD is not in HD. The quality is good but not in HD.
    Why?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Because DVD doesn't support HD. If you want HD on a DVD you have to make an AVCHD disc. It will only play on Blu-ray players that support AVCHD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Because DVD doesn't support HD. If you want HD on a DVD you have to make an AVCHD disc. It will only play on Blu-ray players that support AVCHD.

Another option is HD Xvid. PS3 and Xbox360 can play 720p Xvid files. I haven't tried a bluray player yet. The 720p Xvid files don't work on an Xvid DVD player, well at least the two I have. One is a standard Xvid DVD player and the other is and Xvid DVD player that up converts to 1080p. Neither can play the 720p Xvid files.
    snappy phrase

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Standalone DVD players (set-top or portable) that can play DivX/Xvid are limited to SD resolutions, at a maximum of 720x480 (NTSC material) or 720x576 (PAL material). Of course, that doesn't apply to the X-Box 360, PS3, Blu-Ray players capable of playing AVI, or players like the WDTV, that I'm aware of. (Or a Media Center setup. )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to double check the PS3. It is Divx certified, but not Divx HD, so it may be constrained to 720 wide or less for Xvid/Divx files. It happily handles HD files in other formats though.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    You might want to double check the PS3. It is Divx certified, but not Divx HD, so it may be constrained to 720 wide or less for Xvid/Divx files. It happily handles HD files in other formats though.
    do you know of any legal downloads of divx trailers in 720p or 1080p that are in avi files? I want to test this out on my ps3 40gb fat model but the only trailers I could find on divx.com were in .mkv format. The ps3 doesn't play mkv natively.

Any true test would be to do it straight on from an official source in avi format that the ps3 would play on its own.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Stage6 used to have lots of HD divx files but they're gone. It would be easier and faster to just make some.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My question is now that divx7 uses h264 isn't that natively supported in ps3 ala avchd? Is it the same protocol or different? If the new divx with h264 is similar in structure to avchd than I would assume that it should be supported in ps3.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Great website,thansk!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    My question is now that divx7 uses h264 isn't that natively supported in ps3 ala avchd? Is it the same protocol or different? If the new divx with h264 is similar in structure to avchd than I would assume that it should be supported in ps3.
    You can encode with H264 or the older Divx mpeg-4 format. If you chose H264 then resolutions up to full 1080p are not an issue for the PS3. But a lot of people still cling to the older AVI container with mpeg-4 encoding, and that has limits.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    If you chose H264 then resolutions up to full 1080p are not an issue for the PS3.
    So than the answer would be the newest form is fully hd compatible but not the older versions of divx (as far as hd is concerned).

Ok I don't need to test it then if it can go that high in h264. I know avchd works great on the ps3, I have lots from hdpvr.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Divx7 only produces h.264 in an MKV container. If ask for AVI it will use the earlier Divx 6/5/4 (MPEG 4 Part 2) encoder.
    Quote Quote