VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone.

My goal is to convert an on-the-hard-drive DVD to AVI-XVid format, with the subtitles embedded in the file.

I know how to get the DVD onto my hard drive…that’s simple. It took, however, extensive research and a lot of trial and error to convert it to AVI-XVid format.

One of the main obstacles was my use of a 64-bit operating system. I’m using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium. Some software involved in the conversion process was not compatible with it.

Anyway, I’m using SUPER and Virtual Dub. It seemed to work. The audio and video are in synch, the quality is good, and the file is small.

(I would prefer to use these programs, rather than others, because I know they work on my 64-bit system, and I already have figured out how to use them.)

The problem now is subtitles. Subtitles are absolutely essential, because the vast majority of material I’ll be working with is foreign.

I know there are a lot of threads on this board about them (and it’s GREAT that an entire section is devoted just to this subject), and there are tutorials, but after reading so much in so little time, I feel a bit dizzy.

I did read the following tutorial:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/188578-Adding-Subtitles-to-a-DVD-with-SubtitleCreator

After reading parts of this board, I get the sense Subtitle Creator is the best tool to use for getting subtitles out of the ripped DVD files. But I also read about a program called SubRip.

I’m not sure which one to use. Are there any known conflicts between either of these programs and 64-bit Windows 7?

It seems that a lot of software is involved in producing one video file. If I create a set of Xvid files with SUPER, and merge them with Virtual Dub, will using either Subtitle Creator or SupRip require any further alteration or compression of the one file?

I am computer-literate, but a subtitle-embedding newbie. Can I begin this project by first asking for advice on which subtitle program to focus on? For a novice, which one is considered more user-friendly, and more likely to produce results relatively soon?

Am I correct in assuming the largest IFO file is the one that contains all the subtitles?

Thank you for your assistance. Please call me Jd.

J. Danniel
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think it may be simpler to use AviDemux and VobSub. VobSub extracts the subtitle from DVD in idx/sub format. With AviDemux you can use xvid with a VobSub filter to burn in the subs during the conversion. I have Vista64 and AviDemux 2.4 gtk+ version works just fine.

It depends what you are going to play the .avi files on. If it was a stand-alone DVD .divx certified player then you could add the subs with AviAddXSubs. But nothing else except DivxPlayer software player will play them afaik. To "burn the subtitles in" you have to encode the video. That's why I suggest using a converter like AviDemux that will let you use a subtitle filter to do everything in one shot.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so I need to learn how to use AviDemux. Am I correct in assuming it can take a DVD and convert it to Xvid format?

In your opinion, what is the best tutorial or method that shows how to use AviDemux? Thank you for helping. Jd
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would recommend getting the last AviDemux 2.4 gtk+ release simply because it gives you the option of good quality one pass output for xvid. Version 2.5 they changed the motion detection and other settings so that one pass is no longer a reasonable option.

AviDemux itself is simple. Before first use you should use Edit=>Preferences=>Automation Tab and check all the boxes. As soon as you open a file it will do the default stuff it should do like reindexing an .avi if it needs it etc..

Use Open in the File menu to open a title set by selection the first .vob in the set. It will ask if you want to load the rest of the vobs in the set and if you want to index it. Let it do both. Set the output type for video to xvid codec and the audio to whatever audio you want such as ac3 mp3 whatever.

As for xvid codec settings I would refer to this guide:
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-xvid.html

Under Video button Use the Configure button to set the codec settings.

After you've set the codec settings, the button right underneath Configure is Filters.
    For burning in an idx/sub subtitle use the VobSub filter.

AviDemux has extensive documentation on its wiki but there are also forums:
    http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

If you search there are probably guides with screen shots on this board, on forums.AfterDawn.com
    and other sites. AviDemux it's not so much how to use the program as what to use for settings for the codecs
    that takes time to learn. The program itself is intuitive to use.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn't find AviDemux 2.4 so I decided to try the current version.

As of this writing, I'm not sure how it works, or how to use it. I'll experiment with it tonight and over the weekend.

I don't see a batch processing option, though...does this mean it converts only one file at a time?
    Last edited by jdanniel; 21st May 2010 at 16:54.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It has scripting. See the Wiki for all the dirty details.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure how to use VobSub. The tutorials weren't exactly clear to me.

First: I converted a few VOB files to AVI format with AviDemux. I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but at least I got video and audio.

I do have a question about AviDemux, though: There are several very small VOB files that were not accepted by AviDemux. Should they be ignored? I mean, will the fact that these smaller files were not converted have any bearing on the final product?

Now...regarding VobSub: What on earth am I supposed to do, once the AVI files are created? I have no idea if VobSub is a stand-alone program, or if it has to be used in conjunction with something else.

Thank you! Jd
    Quote Quote  
  8. You have Video, under that is Configure Button, under that is Filters Button. To burn subtitles in you have to use a filter. Click on Subtitle filters. One of those should be VobSub. Just accept the defaults. To "burn in" subtitles you have to do it during the video encoding. Not after. You're back in the same boat you started.

afa the vob files, they come in title sets. If there are extra vob files they can be stuff like coming attractions, sales pitch to visit the web site, or interviews with the director. If you look each title set has a numbering scheme. If you load the first vob in the title set, AviDemux will offer to load the rest and index them. For most DVD, unless it's a collection of TV show episodes, they'll only be one "main movie" vob set.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you load the first vob in the title set, AviDemux will offer to load the rest and index them. For most DVD, unless it's a collection of TV show episodes, they'll only be one "main movie" vob set.
    Ahhhh, okay, so that will eliminate the need for scripting. The next question, then, would be: If AviDemux loads the rest of them, then will one AVI file be created, or will several?

If several AVI's will be created, then can I use AviDemux to merge them, or do I need a separate program for that?

Jd
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have Video, under that is Configure Button, under that is Filters Button. To burn subtitles in you have to use a filter. Click on Subtitle filters. One of those should be VobSub. Just accept the defaults. To "burn in" subtitles you have to do it during the video encoding. Not after. You're back in the same boat you started.
    When I click the FILTERS button, nothing happens. What is the problem?

I definitely installed VobSub. And rebooted after I did it.

When I go into the listing for VobSub in the Start menu, I select VobSub Configure. I get an error message:

"There was a problem starting VobSub.dll. The specific module cannot be located."

I get similar warnings when I try to start DirectVobSub Configure, Cutter, and Joiner.

Is this due to my running a 64-bit operating system?

According to what I'm reading, the last version of VobSub was released in 2002.

Latest version:
    2.23 (December 11, 2002)
    That makes me wonder if it will be incompatible with 64-bit Windows 7.

What can I do to get VobSub running and recognized within AviDemux?

Thanks once again for helping me.

Jd
    Quote Quote  
  11. You only need XMedia Recode:
    - it's free
    - it's very easy to use
    - it can convert DVD-Titles in AVI-Container with Xvid-Codec and subtitles in the video

Perhaps it will help you
    so use the best converter available
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you get the site to read in English?

Does it need any other plug-ins or filters to work?

Does it embed subtitles while it converts, or is that a separate process?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. XMedia Recode

Options\Preferences\General\Language -> English (Then: Restart the program)
    It renders the subtitles in the video-file.
    It doens't need filters or plug-ins.
    Everything is done in one step.

BTW: The installer is very "clean", if you know what I mean...

TRY IT!!

I hope this helps you
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A few questions about XMedia Recode, since you brought it to my attention.

I managed to download and install it, although the site is in German.

Question # 1: How do I view the English version of the web site? I saw nothing on the site for English.

I think I managed to figure out how to use the program to convert a movie to XVid format. I’m not 100% sure I did it right, but it did create several AVI files, totaling 1.48 GB. That’s great! It took about 100 minutes.

But...

Question #2: Is there a way to set up this program to create just one AVI file? If so, what is the configuration? If that can’t be done, then how to I merge these files?

The next question is about subtitles. This is driving me absolutely crazy, and frustrating me to no end. I clearly do not know what I’m doing, no matter what program I’m using.

This is critical. I really am hoping for help with this.

When I load a movie for conversion, in the top pane, the SUBTITLE category says UNKNOWN for each VOB file with movie data in it.

Question # 3: Why am I not seeing an option for ENGLISH?

I select all of the VOB files, using CTRL + A.

Several tabs appear, when the VOB files are loaded. I select the SUBTITLES tab.

There are two options in the STREAM list: NONE, and UNKNOWN. Which one do I select? And once again, why is there not an option for ENGLISH?

When I did my first test conversion, I selected UNKNOWN, hoping, maybe, subtitles would appear in the final, converted AVI files. There were none.

Question # 4 (final question): How do I get the subtitles in the AVI file(s)? This is the most important question of all.

If there are instructions on the web site that explain what to do and how, then I need to see the English version. Refer back to Question #1 for that.

Thanks for any and all help. Jd
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE:

I think I figured it out! (Either that, or I just got lucky.)
    I successfully converted one DVD with subtitles!

Now, to see if I can repeat this with more.

It took about an hour and ten minutes to convert one movie.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It's only one thing that you have to change:
    You need the whole DVD not only the splitted 1GB-VOB-Files (they are only splitted because the file system of a DVD only supports files till 1GB)
    1. Click on "DVD" (Button with DVD Icon)
    2. Click on "Open DVD"
    3. Select the Disc in your optical drive or open "VIDEO_TS.IFO" in your VIDEO_TS-Folder of your ripped DVD
    4. Click on "Open"
    5. Select the desired title (-> mainmovie) you can see it at the length
    6. go on like it was an ordinary file

Sorry for my bad english but I'm from bavaria... Now I have to drink good beer
    If you get any trouble with this, you can also rip a NOT SPLITTED VOB-File with DVD Decrypter, which you can load into XMedia Recode with your needed subtitle- and audiostream
    Interesting other tools for you:
    - AnyDVD
    - DVD Decrypter
    - DVD Shrink
    - MediaInfo
    - Virtual CloneDrive
    Quote Quote  
  17. Sorry I was to slow but I think it's still interesting for you...

Many greetings from Bavaria
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's only one thing that you have to change:
    Thanks for replying! I think you posted your reply at the exact same time that I posted mine.

The problem was not the IFO file. I figured that out pretty quickly.

The problem was that I didn't originally notice there were a few options to choose, and I overlooked them.

I'm going to try encoding a few more movies, and after oh, maybe three or four, I'll update you and let you know if I've mastered the program...or if the initial success was just a fluke.

But right now, I feel much more confident than I did early this morning.

Let's hope my second attempt at this is as good as the first.

Jd

PS: Your English is good enough for me to understand and learn from. Have TWO beers, on me.
    Quote Quote