VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A recent VideoHelp guide for hardcoding subs contrasts the use of VirtualDub and AviRecomp.
    I understood that hardcoding implied recompressing the video, yet the guide states that it can be done without recompressing, thus no loss of quality.
    How does this software manage this feat.

http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/general-video/195-how-to-hardcode-subtitles-to-avi
    -files-without-recompression
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think you could add hard subs without re-encoding but then again i'm no expert.... The guide also states that you would want to do this because mobile devices don't support external .srt subs but my device does, Samsung Omnia i910 with TCPMP Phenom v3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hardsubbing = making the subtitles an actual part of the video data = re-encoding. No way around it, really.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. sambat, there's no such thing to add hard-coded subs without re-encoding the video file.
    This guide you've mentioned shows you how to use AVI Recomp, it does the same proccess that VirtualDubMod does.
    in fact, AVI Recomp is based on VirtualDubMod, if you'll try to run a movie to encode and you'll look into the proccess you'll see:
    1. AVI RECOMP - is running.
    2. VirtaulDubMod - is runnig.
    Quote Quote