VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Smart people,

What is an easy way to:
    Get a video file in something like AVI or WMV with a current sound track and dub over the left only or right channel?

Baisically, i'm getting these videos in a foreign language and i want to play it in my headphones. while i translate to English, i want to record what i'm saying and put it on one of the L/R channels, and send the video back with both languages on it. The recipient can then choose to listen to either the original language or English by moving his balance to left or right.

Free would be great, but i'm favoring easy since i have to do this 3 or 4 times a week for the foreseeable future... i'm happy to pay to make my life easy..

PC required. Mac answer would be a bonus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    LEFT and RIGHT audio is pretty easily done in GoldWave. Right-Clicking is the key to doing it successfully.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Audacity comes in both Mac and Windows flavours and is free. On the Mac you could do the recording and mixing in Garage Band, then mux is back with AVI Demux.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks for the replies so far.

I thought about Audacity (GoldWave seems to have similar functionality). But that means splicing out the audio, messing with it, then putting it back in.. maybe not getting them synced up just right... seems more messy than it ought to be.

Windows Media Encoder 9 has a way that i can play and capture audio from a chosen source, then encode a new file. I would take the original audio, split it into my headphones and then back into the left channel of the input. my microphone would go into the right channel of the input.

it's just that WME9 is an old software, with no editing capabilities. i can't get in there and increase the volume, amplify, blah blah...

I don't think Garage Band does video, right? (i removed it as soon as i got my comp).

thanks again ladies and gents...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to be clear, splicing is putting things together, which is an outdated and incorrect term for digital video. The correct terms are demuxing (and to a certain extent, ripping) and remuxing.

You may want to just go with a separate audio track, most video formats (containers) support multiple tracks. Mono (one side only) is so 1950's. It brings up images of an old man listening to a ball game with one of those uncomfortable ear plugs coming from a tinny-sounding transistor radio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You don't need to worry about recording to a single channel only right now. Both Audacity and Goldwave can do that for you later. Just record your part now. That will be the most time consuming thing in the process.
    Quote Quote  
  7. that's the thing.. i am looking for a way to do it now, while i'm recording.

that way, when i'm done, i'm done!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're not going to get it done that easily.
    Quote Quote