VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the aspect ratio on Nero 10 Recode?

I've read a lot of posts here about Nero 9 recode and I'm having the same problem with Nero 10.

No matter what options I select before the recode process, the resulting file always resembles close to 4:3 instead of 16:9 (source file)??

Has anyone got any ideas on this, or advise whether it is a long standing Nero problem? I've changed every conceivable option before the process, but it seems to make no difference - i.e. disabling resize, keeping frame rates the same as source, etc. etc.

End quality is superb, but everyone on screen looks about 8Ft tall due to the 4:3...

Can anyone in the know shed some light on this?? I'm going mental

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And to what format are you recoding to?

Some video players will ignore aspect ratio in mp4,avi,mkv and then must you instead resize to 16:9 square pixels like 630x360.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi Baldrick,

I just had a huge response written to you and hit off some button and deleted everything without being able to 'undo' so here goes again.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried two different approaches...

(a) To convert a DVD Video mode file to Nero Digital (MP4) using (1) Nero Digital Standard profile and (2) Nero Digital AVC profile.
    and
    (b) Using DVD Decrytper in IFO mode from the DVD above to get some VTS Folder (.vob files) and recode to Nero Digital (MP4) using (1) Nero Digital Standard profile and (2) Nero Digital AVC profile.

No matter what I use (including to enforce Nero to 'letterbox the output file, I still get an MP4 file closer to 4:3 resolution than 16:9?

Ironically enough though, when I check the properties of the finished file, they read...

Length = 42.33
    Frame Width = 720
    Frame Height = 576
    Data Rate = 1028kbps
    Total bit rate = 1135kbps
    Frame rate = 25 frames/second.

So iot's telling me the aspect ratio is right, but I can't view it like that. (I've tried several players to vew the file - Nero, QuickTime, VLC) same results.

I've tried buring the file to a disc to play in my DVD (which plays MP4) just to see if the resolution would look different, but everytime I try a 'data burn' on Nero Express - it fails?

Hence why I'm going mental...
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can't see any aspect ratio? Use mediainfo to check. But even if it's 16:9 some players will ignore it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    720x576 !6:9 has non-square pixels (PAR = 1.4568) and should look tall when viewed as square pixels.

Every DVD is like this. Your software player should adjust for square pixel playeback.
    Last edited by edDV; 17th May 2010 at 14:37.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi again,

I can't download mediainfo as all the links I try for a windows 7 64-bit compatible file are down at present.

I've since found that if I use DVD Decrypter to obtain .vob files and then 'recode' those files, the MP4 finish is the perfect aspect ratio (16:9). The only problem I have now is: there are 3 x vob files after using DVD Decrypter and as 'Recode' won't join these converted files together - I'm stuck with 3 x MP4 files also - which is no good.

Hi Edtv, thatnks for your post - yeah I thought that too as got the MP4 transferred onto my TivX for playback - but I still got a crap resolution now matter wat settings I use on the TivX or the TV. It's definitely something to do with Recode not recognizing that I have selected options 'not to' resize or crop the source file.

But it doesn't explain why Recode didn't crop or resize the .vob files? But as I said above, 3 x separated MP4 files is as bad as 1 x MP4 file cropped and resized to square resolution (4:3)

Why is this soooo difficult and non-user friendly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Baldrick,

I found another way to obtain the info without mediainfo - it's as follows

0x80 - Audio - AC3 / 2ch / 48kHz / DRC / LBA: 25 / PTS: 00:00:00.103 / Delay: 0
    0xE0 - Video - MPEG-2 / 720x576 (PAL) / 16:9 / Pan-Scan & Letterboxed / LBA: 1 / PTS: 00:00:00.103 / Delay: 0ms

Any ideas anyone???
    Quote Quote