VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone!

I have an MKV file that I do not want to transcode, because if I do I will lose the quality of the movie. Rather I just want to change the container to an AVI container (this is so I can play the file through my xbox 360 --> WITH 5.1 channel Dolby Digital surround sound).

Are there any easy methods/ GUI-type tools that can do this for me?

I thank all who respond in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. u can try free tool mkv2avi here : https://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2avi

if x264 or h264 is the video encoder uses the complex matrix pattern, mostly converted avi file might have audio and video out-of-sync by an average 50ms, which you have to take care either by your media player or demux/re-mux.

There is a very detailed and illustrative (pics) guide by Baldrick here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/298094-How-to-convert-any-video-to-AVI-or-MP4-or-MK...d-in-subtitles

Hope this may help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!! I'm definitely going to give that a try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Actually, I would use Gotsent to change this file to the mp4 container, which the Xbox360 supports. Keeps the original h264 video and converts the audio. No loss of video quality at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah but unfortunately, mp4 containers only support 2 channel audio. Dont get me wrong, Gotsent is an amazing program, but this movie is one of those you just have to watch in surround sound!

People have also told me that it doesn't matter because the Xbox 360 only passes through 2 channel audio anyways........ but this is NOT true

If you have your xbox hooked up to your AV receiver via an S/PDIF optical cable, then it can pass 5.1 channel surround sound through just fine. (As long as your movie file meets these 3 requirements)

1. The movie file must be in an AVI container

2. The video type has to be MPEG-4 (Xvid)

3. And the audio has to be AC-3 --> (this is basically Dolby Digital surround sound)

I read Balrdick's post about converting MKVs to AVIs... and Avidemux is the program I decided to use.
    It does all 3 of the above things and I am happy with the results. (NOTE: you have to have avisynth installed as well)

Hope this feedback helps everyone out a little, and thanks again for all who responded!!!!!
    Last edited by Spdngblt56; 17th May 2010 at 13:45.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Spdngblt56 View Post
    Yeah but unfortunately, mp4 containers only support 2 channel audio.
    Just to clarify. 6-ch AC3 is supported by .mp4 container officially. It works fine with proper software. It's just that your playback firmware/software or xbox device doesn't support it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well there you go... I learn something new everyday! Sorry for missinforming everyone. Thanks for letting us know that poisondeathray!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @spdngblt56 - another approach is to convert to wmv with 5.1. You would need to use wma 10 audio settings for 5.1 in whatever conversion program you use.

i did that with a high def sample from an hd-dvd I had ripped. I forgot the steps I took but in the end I got a high def 720p wmv with 5.1 wma audio. The xbox 360 read it perfectly and outputted the audio in 5.1.

I'm sure there are guides here. I just don't remember them right now.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. For those who would like good quality stereo sound
    may try MkvConvert which a easy to use MKV-to-AVI conveter.

I have tried by myself and really like the quality of output AVI.
    Once you have AVI, you may convert it to desired format with desired converter.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have compared the same sample Sound Quality for audio frequency separation and richness for AC3 5.1 Surround and 6 Channel MP4.
    Sample : 8800 kbps video, 640kbps 48khz 5.1Ch Audio
    There noticeable difference of QUALITY between AC3 5.1 and MP4
    I would prefer AC-3 5.1 Surround for some GOOD Reasons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Yoda313 - I think you have the right idea... I actually thought about doing that myself, but I wasn't sure if it would pass through the 5.1 channel audio.

Now that I know it can... I am definitely going to do it / find out what converting tools are best to use!

I only wish you remembered how you did it, because just as you said... there are most likely some guides out there that tell you how to do it, but I can't seem to find them anywhere
    Last edited by Spdngblt56; 18th May 2010 at 00:33.
    Quote Quote