VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I downloaded a pretty strange video file.

The video is in 1920x1080 but the video is 4:3 and on the left and right there are black borders. Its as if the black borders are a part of the video.

Now, I want to remove these black borders because whenever I play the file on my PS3 they make the screen even smaller and look squished.

is there any way to rid myself of the black borders, and preserve the video quality?

This is an m2ts file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you crop (the term for removing the black borders) you'll have to reencode the whole thing. Are you prepared for that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the video is packaged correctly, and the PS3 set up correctly, you should not have borders all the way round. I have several 4:3 HD files that I play ont he PS3, and none of them have borders all the way round.

What format is the video, and how are you playing back on the PS3 ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the media info for the video:

General
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 1.23 GiB
    Duration : 23mn 7s
    Overall bit rate : 7 622 Kbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Bit rate : 6 645 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 7 000 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 8 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.134
    Stream size : 1.07 GiB (87%)
    Writing library : x264 core 80 r1376M 3feaec2
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=7000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.0

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Stream size : 74.1 MiB (6%)

like I said, although it is 16:9, the video portion itself is only 4:3 with black borders on the left and right integrated into the image for some reason.

I play the video on the PS3 by putting it on a USB stick

So there is no way to crop without re-encoding?
    Well, what can I do to crop and maximize the quality so it is only slightly unnoticeably worse, if not just the same as the original?
    Last edited by FatalX; 15th May 2010 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    If the video is packaged correctly, and the PS3 set up correctly, you should not have borders all the way round.
    If he's watching on a 4:3 TV set he will, the pillar bars encoded into the 1.33:1 video and the letterboxing added by the TV. I don't know why it doesn't play with correct aspect ratio, though.
    Originally Posted by FatalX View Post
    So there is no way to crop without re-encoding?
    Nope. There are several programs that will allow you to crop it and reencode. I'd use XviD4PSP, while others might use Handbrake. Do some sort of a constant quality encode (is it called CRF?) for 18-21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would try the PS3 zoom options before doing this. The Triangle button will bring up a menu that has an option to change how the video is presented. It may get around your problem on a 4:3 TV. Otherwise you are in for a potentially long re-encode.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote