VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I'm not quite sure how to ask this.

I have win vista premium 32bit and I am trying to clean up a lot of unneeded files off my c drive. I keep getting low disk reading messages and I've freed up nearly 5 gigs right now. I think my boot drive is 60gb or so. i know I don't have tons on there I really need to save.

I've copied a lot of downloaded setup files and video files to my second internal drive that has a lot more room.

I know when you're in a folder you can sort by size. Is there an easy way to do that for the entire drive?

The reason I ask is a lot of times video conversion programs output video files in sub directories. I don't always delete the outputs after I am done with them. I'm wondering if thats whats clogging my boot drive. Most of the time I tell a program to output to my secondary drive that is larger. I don't always do that.

Is there a way to list from largest to smallest all the folders in a drive?

I know that windows and program files will be the largest most likely. Say I go into program files. I don't think you can simply sort by size in program files can you? If so than I could easily target the space hogs and delete those.

Just curious if there is an easier way of tracking down rogue bloated files that I don't know about anymore. Or is it just something I have to do one by one?

I know the old *.* and file extension can search for all specific files of that extension type. Can you limit it to just one drive? It it'd be pretty pointless to say search for mp3 files to move or delete knowing I have a huge folder on my secondary drive. I only want to search on the main boot drive.

Tips are welcome. Thanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yoda313,

I'm not sure this is what you have in mind, but I've used Glary Utilities for some time to find what the largest files are on a drive. It's freeware, so it doesn't cost you anything to find out if it will do what you want.

I just downloaded it, but the general release installs the Ask toolbar, and I don't do toolbars. There is a portable version available here. I downloaded the zip version, and there wasn't the Ask toolbar, but it did attempt to contact the Glary Utilities website, which I prevented, so I don't know what that was about. It didn't interfere with it running normally, though.

Once it's running, click the "Modules" tab, then click "Files and Folders" on the left side, and finally click "Disk Analysis" on the right side. In the pop-up window select the drive you want to check. When it's done analyzing, the bottom window shows the largest files sorted by size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The graphical tool I often use for EXACTLY this task is WinDirStat
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @vegasbud - thanks but if they're that hooked on getting you to go their website and all I may pass on that.

@tjohns - is that a built in utility? Which version of windows has it? Is it a download?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can do a simple search by date or by size right from Windows Explorer. No extra tools needed.

Note: Dude, go to Win7 and do yourself a favor.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windirstat is a download see here
    http://windirstat.info/
    it's open source and works well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try a google search for a tool "Top 100.....something". I have the tool here somewhere on my computer but can't find it at the moment.
    I know it works for XP...not sure if it was updated any higher. Top 100 Files?....something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try also sequoiaview its shows (graphically) the biggest files and you can drill down. Its from Germany and is very Effiicient.
    free, no toolbars and either good fun or scary depending on how full your disks are.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone. I'll check these out a little later.

Originally Posted by neomaine
    Why? I haven't had any serious issues with win vista. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually do a search - All files and folders and set Specify size - at least - xxx KB (ex. 1000000 KB for files > 1 Gig). You can specify which drive or drives to search. All stanard sorting options work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.memecode.com/idisk.php

this is what I use. its simple

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1330
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1815
    Last edited by crazy14muzic; 12th May 2010 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And here's another one, you can open and close folders as you like: TreeSize free.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TreeSize.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1818
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'll check these out a little later.

Originally Posted by neomaine
    Why? I haven't had any serious issues with win vista. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Neither did I, really. Ran it from its first release right until Win7 came out. Not going to look back. I'm also one of those people that didn't mind WinME.

You'll find better boot-up times, better i/o, better memory management, better device compatibility, better program compatibility and a much smoother desktop. Migrating from Vista64 to Win7-64 was one of the best OS upgrades I'd ever done.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote