VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to play .mkv files in my LCD, which I am doing by connecting my portable hard disk to the usb port.

At first I had the problem that the .mkv files I had, would only support 4.1 AVC profile.. but I later converted it into 4.1 using H264info (first demuxed by MKVExtractGUI)

Now, when I mux all the components of the original .mkv file (excluding the video, which I had replaced by the one I got from H264info), My subtitles do come up when I play the file in any media player on my PC, but they don't come up in my LCD.

In mkvmerge, I even ticked the

Default track flag - yes
    Forced track flag - yes

in the subtitles (in ass format)

but It doesn't come up, when I play it in LCD..

Any way around this? Help Appreciated!

P.S. : Since I'm new, i didn't know, where I should have been posting it. Could anyone tell me the correct section for it? The file's 720p.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably better in our Subtitles Forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. does your LCD model support .ass subs?

does the video play at all? or just without subs?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    does your LCD model support .ass subs?
    Indeed. I understand from a technical perspective why SOME people like the format, but the reality is that it's a format with very little to no support on standalone playback devices. Some do support it, but many do not. And TVs are VERY VERY fussy about what they will and won't play. If the original poster is looking for a "plays anything" device, a television is not that at all. I've seen so many posts about what TVs won't play that I'm kind of surprised that there are people who actually think of their TVs as valid playback devices.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    does your LCD model support .ass subs?

does the video play at all? or just without subs?
    I haven't seen it anywhere in the manual, so it might as well mayn't support it.

Yes, the video plays with the correct sound, just no subtitles.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Indeed. I understand from a technical perspective why SOME people like the format, but the reality is that it's a format with very little to no support on standalone playback devices. Some do support it, but many do not. And TVs are VERY VERY fussy about what they will and won't play. If the original poster is looking for a "plays anything" device, a television is not that at all. I've seen so many posts about what TVs won't play that I'm kind of surprised that there are people who actually think of their TVs as valid playback devices.
    I know, what you're trying to say. Normally, I never cared for my TV, just played on my PC. But the thing's, I just want to view my 720p, HD movies etc. on LCD as it only can appreciate the resolution quite well.

I'm not dying to play it in ass format. I just want the subtitles hardcored in the video.

P.S. : I think I remember my LCD recognising and playing .srt subtitles ( not hardcored).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by tyson123g View Post

I haven't seen it anywhere in the manual, so it might as well mayn't support it.
    Well if it was capable , it would be an advertised feature... so there is your answer.

P.S. : I think I remember my LCD recognising and playing .srt subtitles ( not hardcored).
    if your LCD supports srt subs, then you could try converting to srt, but you will lose all the fancy formatting (srt are text based subs)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

if your LCD supports srt subs, then you could try converting to srt, but you will lose all the fancy formatting (srt are text based subs)
    I don't care about any fancy stuff.. Subtitles are subtitles for me.. White and plain.. Just need it cause I'm not gonna understand what's being said on screen.

Can you please suggest me a way (software) for converting the .ass format to .srt and how to hardcore (or hardcode.. sorry I don't remember the exact word) the .srt file in the .mkv file?
    Last edited by tyson123g; 11th May 2010 at 18:50.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can hardcode .ass subs directly with xvid4psp, or avidemux
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can hardcode .ass subs directly with xvid4psp, or avidemux
    No.. I'm asking for hardcoding .srt subs.. as you know yourself.. .ass don't get read..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Do you understand what hardcoding is?

If your LCD can play the video, the subtitles are burned in the video (so there are no external subs). This is permanent.

The subs aren't read by the LCD because they are part of the video when they are hardsubbed. The .ass subs are read by the program, not by the LCD. So xvid4psp will burn in the subs, not the LCD. Of course this requires re-encoding.

It doesn't make sense to change to srt then hardcode, when you could skip a step and hardcode .ass directly

Maybe you are confused with soft subs? Did you want soft subs instead?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Well see.. As far as I know. Hardcoded subs are subs which are irreversibly merged with the video. And I want that. I don't want a separate subtitle file for each video for it to read (which i think is, what soft subs are about).

The original video (before my transforming the video to an avc profile 4.1 for it to be readable on my LCD) had the hardcoded subs only.

When I extracted the video (to be edited using H264info), it was only the video track.

Then I merged the video file + the other tracks in the unedited original file (excluding the 5.1 profile video track) using mkvmerge, I even included the .ass format subs track in the new video. When I play the video in my VLC player, the subs come, but the problem is, when I run the video file in TV, the subtitles don't show.

I know, it shouldn't happen, since the subs are supposedly "hardcoded" (maybe).. but that's what I'm trying to figure about.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by tyson123g View Post
    Well see.. As far as I know. Hardcoded subs are subs which are irreversibly merged with the video. And I want that. I don't want a separate subtitle file for each video for it to read (which i think is, what soft subs are about).

The original video (before my transforming the video to an avc profile 4.1 for it to be readable on my LCD) had the hardcoded subs only.

When I extracted the video (to be edited using H264info), it was only the video track.

Then I merged the video file + the other tracks in the unedited original file (excluding the 5.1 profile video track) using mkvmerge, I even included the .ass format subs track in the new video. When I play the video in my VLC player, the subs come, but the problem is, when I run the video file in TV, the subtitles don't show.

I know, it shouldn't happen, since the subs are supposedly "hardcoded" (maybe).. but that's what I'm trying to figure about.

If the original video was already hardcoded, it should already have the subs, even if you re-encode it. The subs would be permanent. Something about what your're saying isn't correct or you're misreporting it. I suspect the original wasn't hardcoded at all.

Regardless , you can hardsub .ssa/.ass subs or .srt subs using the programs listed above. Since you can do the subs as they are already, there is no reason to convert to srt and lose the formatting (and waste time)

If the video was already hardsubbed, it would show subs twice (one on top of the other) once you hardcode the subs.

Since you plan on hardcoding, you don't have to use h264info. It requires reencoding, and you can re-encode to compliant specs in when you encode.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by tyson123g View Post
    Well see.. As far as I know. Hardcoded subs are subs which are irreversibly merged with the video.
    Yes.

I don't want a separate subtitle file for each video for it to read (which i think is, what soft subs are about).
    No, soft subs do not necessarily involve separate subtitle files. In your case, there was a separate ASS subtitle file, but it was muxed together with the video and audio streams. This is NOT hardcoding; the subtitles are still "soft", and the video stream itself is untouched.

Then I merged the video file + the other tracks in the unedited original file (excluding the 5.1 profile video track) using mkvmerge, I even included the .ass format subs track in the new video.
    To repeat, that is NOT hardcoding. That is just muxing, i.e. packaging streams together. Some players will play the ASS stream, some will not.

When I play the video in my VLC player, the subs come, but the problem is, when I run the video file in TV, the subtitles don't show.
    Your TV doesn't deal with ASS streams. Try muxing the SRT (and avoid re-encoding the video). You can convert an ASS to SRT using Aegisub: do File > Export. As PDR says, though, you'll lose most/all formatting.

I know, it shouldn't happen, since the subs are supposedly "hardcoded" (maybe)
    Nope, they aren't.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by creamyhorror View Post
    Originally Posted by tyson123g View Post
    Well see.. As far as I know. Hardcoded subs are subs which are irreversibly merged with the video.
    Yes.

I don't want a separate subtitle file for each video for it to read (which i think is, what soft subs are about).
    No, soft subs do not necessarily involve separate subtitle files. In your case, there was a separate ASS subtitle file, but it was muxed together with the video and audio streams. This is NOT hardcoding; the subtitles are still "soft", and the video stream itself is untouched.

Then I merged the video file + the other tracks in the unedited original file (excluding the 5.1 profile video track) using mkvmerge, I even included the .ass format subs track in the new video.
    To repeat, that is NOT hardcoding. That is just muxing, i.e. packaging streams together. Some players will play the ASS stream, some will not.

When I play the video in my VLC player, the subs come, but the problem is, when I run the video file in TV, the subtitles don't show.
    Your TV doesn't deal with ASS streams. Try muxing the SRT (and avoid re-encoding the video). You can convert an ASS to SRT using Aegisub: do File > Export. As PDR says, though, you'll lose most/all formatting.

I know, it shouldn't happen, since the subs are supposedly "hardcoded" (maybe)
    Nope, they aren't.
    Thanks.. You cleared a lot of confusion..

I'm going to try the software you recommended.. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by tyson123g View Post
    Well see.. As far as I know. Hardcoded subs are subs which are irreversibly merged with the video. And I want that. I don't want a separate subtitle file for each video for it to read (which i think is, what soft subs are about).

If the original video was already hardcoded, it should already have the subs, even if you re-encode it. The subs would be permanent. Something about what your're saying isn't correct or you're misreporting it. I suspect the original wasn't hardcoded at all.

Regardless , you can hardsub .ssa/.ass subs or .srt subs using the programs listed above. Since you can do the subs as they are already, there is no reason to convert to srt and lose the formatting (and waste time)

If the video was already hardsubbed, it would show subs twice (one on top of the other) once you hardcode the subs.

Since you plan on hardcoding, you don't have to use h264info. It requires reencoding, and you can re-encode to compliant specs in when you encode.

Sorry.. My misunderstanding caused problems.

By the way, I used H264info to change the AVC profile which is necessary as my TV doesn't support 5.1 profile.
    Quote Quote