VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trimming an MP4 video file in AVIDemux. Is there a way to trim with out having the video being re encoded? Or if it has to be re encoded when I trim ... is there some setting that will re encode using the exact same specs that the original clip was encoded with??

Thanks!

Bob
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It wont be reconverted if you set video and audio to copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ....and if you only cut on key frames.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK, but when I try to play the trimmed video in QuickTime I get the error ...

Error -2048: Couldn't open the MyFile_trimmed.MP4 file because it was not a file that QuickTime understands.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Does the original open in Quicktime?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, the original opens in QuickTime. The triimmed one does not when I use Copy and Copy and Format MP4.

Thanks!

Bob
    Quote Quote  
  7. The original MP4 file is from a Flip camera if that makes any difference. The original plays in Quicktime but the trimmed one gives that error message when trying to play it in QuickTime if I use "set video to copy" in AVIDemux.

Bob
    Quote Quote  
  8. In avidemux, did you cut on keyframes?

You should be able to cut it in quicktime pro as well
    Quote Quote  
  9. Would key frames be the I or P frames, or something other?

Bob
    Quote Quote  
  10. I frame

you can use the "<<" and ">>" buttons to advance to the nearest one, use those keys to navigate

did you set video , audio to copy , format to .mp4 , and save with extension (e.g. "myvideo.mp4")
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yep, I was using I frames, Copy video, Copy audio and Format MP4 and still the error. I guess I will just put in settings and get it to recompile the video to get around the error. Tks all!
    Quote Quote