VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello, my goal is to add subtitles to videos that are on youtube. What's the best way? Here best is defined to be easiest way without sacreficing quality. My video editing experience is zero, and there is a sea of software out there and I need some experts' opinion. I'd like to know the procedure and what software to use and what file format to generate. As to how to use the software I can read the instructions. For exmaple:
    1. download the video from youtube: go to xxx website or use xxx software and save it as .xxx file
    2. generate the subtitle file: use xxx software and generate .xxx subtitle file (I tried Aegisub and find it quite good, is this the best software for this purpose?)
    3. use xxx software to hardsub into a .xxx file (I don't think soft sub will work for youtube since the size of subtitle can't be adjusted)
    4. upload the .xxx file to youtube
    etc.
    Also, preserving quality is important for me, my worry is that downloading from youtube and uploading again will necessarily lose quality, is this true? Thanks very much in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by qi99 View Post
    Also, preserving quality is important for me, my worry is that downloading from youtube and uploading again will necessarily lose quality, is this true?
    Of course it's true, since they reencode everything given to them. And that's after you reencode it yourself to add in the subs. All reencoding degrades quality. You can forget about preserving quality. If it's your video to begin with you can add in selectable SRT subtitles without that downloading/reencoding/reuploading nonsense. And if it's not your video, I'm sure the guy that originally uploaded it will love you stealing his video and then claiming it as your own.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks very much for the quick reply!
    You see I'm really ignorant. Ok. I will give up that idea. I will get a DVD then. Same question: What easiest way to add subtitle to a DVD and split it into small files upload to youtube. Again, easiest and good quality. I'm sure someone has asked this question before. But I got lost in the jargons and software names etc. I know I shouldn't waste people's time to tell me how to use a software, I just need clear instructions as what software to use to generate what type of files for this purpose. You mentioned .srt file, if one does hardsub, can one format it? if not, then I need some other file format. etc... Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by qi99 View Post
    What easiest way to add subtitle to a DVD and split it into small files upload to youtube.
    The best thing to do is to add the subs after the video has been uploaded and processed. That way they're selectable, like on DVDs, and you won't have degraded the original video by hardcoding them into the video:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=100079

As for creating the subs, they should be in SRT format and there are many subtitling programs available to create them. Popular are SubtitleCreator, Subtitle Workshop, Aegisub, among others.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for you reply.
    Ok. What you are saying is that hardsub will necessarily degrade the quality of the video. The problem is that one can't really control the format (like the position of the subtitle) with a srt file. But I guess I will have to live with it. Now the question is, I don't think I can upload vob file directly into the youtube, so I have to do some kind of convertsion. What's the best format I should convert to and using what software (again best here means preserving quality)? Also, I need to split the big vob file into smaller pieces to upload, what software should I use to split it? convert first then split or split than convert?
    Thanks again for your reply and I think I am little bit closer...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by qi99 View Post
    The problem is that one can't really control the format (like the position of the subtitle) with a srt file.
    If you're talking about hardcoding, then use SSA format subs. Using those you can choose the position, size, colors, about anything at all.
    What's the best format I should convert to and using what software (again best here means preserving quality)?
    Forget about preserving quality. After YouTube gets its grubby paws on it and reencodes it yet again, there goes your quality. For easy, load the VOB into AutoGK (along with the sub, if you like) and make a 640 width (or whatever you like) XviD video using the default 75% 1-pass Target Quality. That should give you a good looking AVI ready to upload to YouTube. Or you can make MP4 videos using XviD4PSP or some such, but AutoGK is way easier.

For splitting VOBs there are many apps. I use the original MPEG2Cut (or you can cut the finished AVI later on):
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks again.
    Ok, see if I understand correctly. Looks like every time we change format, something is lost.
    1. have to convert VOB to say AVI to upload to youtube. Is there any other site that does not have "grubby paws"? I mean can one directly upload vob? If not, this convertion is unavoidable and I have to live with it.
    2. if I want hardsub (for a nicer subtitle), there will be a second conversion (convert to what format here???) This can be avoided if I don't hardsub it and just upload the srt file separately. BTW, I do find Aegisub very nice to use and I get .ass file but I think it allows you to export to .srt, .ssa, etc format.
    3. I should use AutoGK to convert vob to AVI, then I can upload AVI and srt separately to youtube. You say I can load sub into autoGK, does this mean one can combine the files here (does combine the files mean hardsub)??
    4. after this, I can split the avi file using MPEG2Cut.
    Thanks very much for your help. I feel I'm making progress (though only in my head, nothing actually is done....)
    Quote Quote  
  8. 1. You don't want to upload a vob because they won't resize it properly while reencoding, taking into account the original DAR. It's better that you encode it first, resizing it in the process. AutoGK will do that automatically. There are sites that don't reencode if uploaded in the correct format. I believe Vimeo is one such site, but someone more knowledgeable will have to elaborate.
    2. You can resize and add in the subs all during the same encode. Baldrick even has a guide to adding external subs to AutoGK for hardsubbing:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/256625-How-to-add-permanent-subtitles-with-AutoGK-a...I-DivX-or-XviD

3. Yes, after uploading the video to YouTube you can upload the SRT as explained in the link in my earlier post. Or you can hardsub yourself.
    4. MPEG2Cut splits MPEGs (including VOB files), and not AVIs. I use VDubMod for splitting AVIs, but there are other tools also.
    Last edited by manono; 26th May 2010 at 03:00.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks again for the infomation! I just downloaded AutoGK 2.55. Still need to be clear what I'm doing. 1) I put a DVD in the drive and select it (D:\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.VOB) as the input file, it automatically give the output file as AVI (there is no other format choice). What's the relationship between avi and DivX/Xvid? I thought they are different format but they seem to be interchageable...Confusion, confusion..
    2) you said I can add subs during the encode/conversion to make it hardsubbed. This still count as one conversion, i.e., whether I hardsub it or not, the quality is the same, correct? In that case, I'd rather hardsub it so I can control the subs format better. 3) splitting vob file won't degrade the quality, is this correct? I need to know whether I should split first then convert to avi or convert then split. Does the order make any difference? I probably need to split vob into intermediate size first, then convert to avi, then split avi further into small size to upload. What do you think? Thanks in advance! I will have to figure out how to use the software and try it out...
    Quote Quote  
  10. You have to decrypt the DVD to the hard drive first. Use DVD Decrypter (or DVDFab HD Decrypter in Movie only Mode if it's a newer movie with newer copy protection) set for IFO Mode. You want to decrypt only the movie and not the entire DVD. Then open either the IFO or the VOB(s) in AutoGK. There are many guides to using it. You'll find them listed at the bottom of the AutoGK page here.
    whether I hardsub it or not, the quality is the same, correct?
    Not really. Hardsubbing is difficult to compress and creates a lot of mosquito noise around the outside of the subs. It's all academic though, because the damage hardsubbing does is dwarfed by the damage done by YouTube's reencode of the video. Yes, it's all the same conversion.
    What's the relationship between avi and DivX/Xvid?
    They're very similar, but XviD is open source.
    splitting vob file won't degrade the quality
    That's right.
    I probably need to split vob into intermediate size first, then convert to avi, then split avi further into small size to upload.
    Split only once. Probably splitting the VOB would be best.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ok. Have to "decript" DVD first. I used DVD Decripter ripped one episode. It says successful, but I would like to play it to see. Why can't my windows media player play vob file? I have the lastest version (12 I think). It looks like I need to download something else for it to play vob. another download! What's the best software to download here? I tried to use Aegisub to play it and it doesn't have sound! (It could just be the problem with Aegisub since I've seem the same error befrore.) I have to make sure the file is good before I proceed. Also, looks like the file is bigger than it's on DVD. Is it possible? ( the DVD has many episodes and I just copied one and compared with the average size). Shouldn't it just an identical "copy"? or is it some kind of setting one can adjust (saw something 1GB and I left it as default.) Thanks again for your pointers. I'm definitely making some progress...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by qi99 View Post
    Why can't my windows media player play vob file?
    Windows doesn't come with MPEG-2 decoders. You can use Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC player, both of which include those decoders as part of the players, or you can install one so WMP can play it. The GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder should work for DVDs and VOBs already decrypted to the hard drive. Or, if you have PowerDVD somewhere, you could install that to play your DVDs, encrypted or not.
    Also, looks like the file is bigger than it's on DVD. Is it possible?
    No. It should be identical in size.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi, Actually my windows media player 12 can play vob file. It just has some trouble which I can't figure out why. From time to time I have to re-start my computer for it work. I don't know if Aegisub interferes with it or it is just Microsoft WMP problem.
    Now my progress report: I did a test run and believe I'm able to do what I set out to do and here is the summary:
    1. copy the DVD .vob file to hard disk (DVD Decripter)
    2. generate subtitles .ssa file (Aegisub, e.g.)
    3. combine .vob and .ssa files and at the same time convert to .avi (AutoGK)
    4. split the .avi to smaller files (VirtualDubMod included in AutoGK download)
    Although I can mechanically do it, I will need to understand it better. For exmaple, how to get rid of the black borders around or change the aspect ratio. I have been using default settings, I'd like to know if there are other options that can preverse the quality better, generate the subtitle timings faster, etc.
    Thank you once again for your patience and expert advice!They are greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well, if you want better, open an AviSynth script in VDub(Mod) and encode manually. That way you have the full range of AviSynth filters (including the crop and resize), while with AutoGK you can't do much of anything on your own. If you're ready to use something more flexible than AutoGK but aren't quite ready to go it alone, I might suggest the more fully featured Gordian Knot.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok. I will try to figure out how to use AviSynth filters and try to re-size.
    Another question, how to extract the audio to a mp3 file from a vob file? Can the software I currently have (DVDdecrypter, AutoKG) do it? I looked at the web, again a ton of software. Is there one you recommend? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you had to decrypt it from a dvd - IT'S NOT YOUR VIDEO and you shouldn't be trying to upload it to youtube. with any luck the copyright holder will ban it if you do manage to get it uploaded.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by qi99 View Post
    Ok. I will try to figure out how to use AviSynth filters and try to re-size.
    Another question, how to extract the audio to a mp3 file from a vob file? Can the software I currently have (DVDdecrypter, AutoKG) do it? I looked at the web, again a ton of software. Is there one you recommend? Thanks!
    AutoGK will make MP3 audio while creating the AVI, if that's what you want. DVDDecrypter has the ability to demux whatever audio it is (AC3 usually) which can then be converted to MP3 in BeSweet, among other programs. Me, I usually get the audio when creating the D2V project file using DGIndex. Then I'll convert it to MP3 audio if I like, using BeSweet. BeSweet also has the ability to create MP3 audio using a VOB as source.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I encountered the following problem in using AutoGK. When I tried to do preview it gives the following warning: "Media player classic could not render some of the pins in the graph, you may not have the needed codecs or filters installed o the system. The following pin(s) failed to find a connectable filter: ACM Wrapper:: Output..." When I tried to preview it anyway, it does not have sound. I searched on the web, but still am not clear what to do to fix it. I did use .IFO as input. The sound is fine in .vob.
    Quote Quote  
  19. However, I went ahead and did the convertion and strangely enough this time I did get the sound in the avi file. Don't know what's going on, but at least there is sound in the .avi file.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Well, though it have sound in avi file, when I open it in VirtualDubMod, it sas "an improper VBR audio encoding" detected. So there is still some problem with the audio in the .avi file. So I still need to figure out how to resolve this. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by qi99 View Post
    Any ideas?
    Answer 'No' to the question and then don't worry about it any more.
    Quote Quote  
  22. That's the thing. I can't get away with saying "NO". "NO" just causes "virtualdub has stopped working" and it wouldn't go forward. Something is wrong and I have to go back to correct it at converting to avi using AutoGK. I searched on the web, but don't see any easy way of fixing that I can understand. Some say additional filter/codecs needed? But what exactly??
    Quote Quote  
  23. Dunno. Maybe someone else has an idea.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Ok. I downloaded AC3 filter, this makes the preview ok and autoGK work fine. avi file is also fine. But VirtualDubMod still doesn't like the file. I can say NO and it won't play it but I think it may still allow me to split the file (need to do more test). I'll ask around to find a solution. Thanks again for all your help!
    Quote Quote  
  25. You're welcome, but you figured out the solution yourself. I should have mentioned the AC3 Filter. Sorry. Anytime you have a VBR MP3 audio, it's gonna complain. It's nothing to concern yourself over. You'll still be able to split or do anything else to the file you can do when you have some sort of CBR audio.
    I can say NO and it won't play it
    It's not a player and VDubMod not playing it means nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yes. It can still split the file. So that's fine. I assume splitting file will just be a direct copy (using "direct stream copy") and it should have the same size and not degrade the quality. Is that correct? What if I want to crop the black borders? Will that involve re-coding and therefore degrade the quality? I just think the border makes the effective viewing area smaller and I should get rid of it. But if that means the whole thing has to be reformatted to make it fit the orignal area (is that called frame? excuse me not knowing the jargon), then I'm not sure it's worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by qi99 View Post
    I assume splitting file will just be a direct copy (using "direct stream copy") and it should have the same size and not degrade the quality. Is that correct?
    Yes, if set for Direct Stream Copy, nothing gets reencoded.
    What if I want to crop the black borders?
    Any filtering requires a reencode which, unless it's to a lossless codec (Lagarith or HuffYUV, for example), means quality degradation.
    But if that means the whole thing has to be reformatted to make it fit the orignal area (is that called frame?
    Yes, crops are often followed by a resize. If you're using AutoGK though, both procedures are taken care of automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Youtube has free software that automatically adds Closed Captions. If you have a text file & a video file it syncs them & so also has speech recognizance CC software. Of course you get much better results doing captions/subs yourself, I use Subtitle workshop.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the first it sounded like a very long and bad way around to do this ... as it has been said it will degrade the video quality.

Options:

1: You are the content owner > Add CC after video has been uploaded > Link

2: Create CC for video by using subtitle workshop ... prefer Visualsubsync ... format in sub or srt prefered... follow "1" to upload ... you must be content "owner" again.

Downloading the video is only practical if the content no longer resides on the current system for which CC is required ... This allows you to take all the time you want for fine tuning of the CC prior to uploading rather than using "online" resources which could at a drop of a hat go down "unavailable" while your working forcing you to restart from scratch ... got to love these server time outs

3: Your not the original content owner

Do it as per private use only and do not upload ... someone would sooner or later recognize it and report it.

4: Your system is "windows 7" ??? ... 32bit or 64bit

64bit has two folders related to "program files" ... x86 should be used for most of these programs ... something one needs to watch when running program installs to make sure they end up in the right "program files" directory.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thank you all who responded!
    Before I reply to your messages. Here is another issue. I tried to join two avi files in VirtualDubMod but it refuses to do it for "the audio streams have different formats". These are from different chapters of the same DVD and converted to avi separately. Is there any setting I should adjust such that they have the same audio stream format? I think this related to the VBR issue talked about earlier. In Advanced Options I think it was on "VBR MP3, kbps 128", should I use some other setting to make the two files match? Searched on the web and they say VirtualDubMod is not met for joining files ... Some other software does the job?

Yes, crops are often followed by a resize. If you're using AutoGK though, both procedures are taken care of automatically.
    I do use AutoGK but I did not tell it to crop or anything. Just leave everything to default except to set the Target quality to 100%. Hoping this will give the best quality possible. (Is this true?) But the output seemed to have the border cropped somewhat... The result is I can do without cropping it any more.

Youtube has free software that automatically adds Closed Captions. If you have a text file & a video file it syncs them & so also has speech recognizance CC software.
    The trouble with Youtube CC is that it doesn't allow you to adjust the position of the subtitle. So I chose to do "hard"sub. Also, the .vob file has to be converted anything and AutoGK can add the subtitle while converting it. So it's really not any extra work.

From the first it sounded like a very long and bad way around to do this
    Yes, indeed "from the first". But in the end, the procedure is much simplified thanks to manono's help. 1. Forget about the downloading and I have the vob files. 2. forget about CC since I want better formatting for the subtitles
    64bit has two folders related to "program files" ... x86 should be used for most of these programs ... something one needs to watch when running program installs to make sure they end up in the right "program files" directory.
    I have 64-bit. I actually create another folder for all these downloaded software. Would this cause me trouble? Should I put them all in X86?

Aegisub is the only subtitle software I know and use. I find it very easy to use and like it a lot. The only thing is that it defaults to .ass file and I have to export it to .ssa to use for AutoGK. but it is a tolerable inconvenience. Is subtitle workshop or Visualsubsync better than Aegisub??
    Quote Quote