VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few dvd's like this. In the last 3 days, 2 have done this on my philips 5982...MPC shows them as true WS but pop them in the dvd player and the 2 sides get cut off. I read somewhere that the "pulldown" or "flag" isnt being read or wasnt set correctly? can some1 tell em a fix for this or if there even is one? Maybe i'm not doing it correctly but I tried ifoedit to no avail. Maybe i'm not doing it correctly.

thanx

mTrash
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    IfoAR2WS

But how are those dvds made?
    Quote Quote  
  3. You made these yourself? If the video is set as Wide/Pan And Scan rather than Wide/Letterbox, on a 4:3 TV set the video will be shown with the sides cropped off, or fullscreen as you phrased it. The fix is to change the video attributes to Wide/Letterbox. PGCEdit is the way I'd do it, but IFOEdit can do it also. If that's the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a camcorder i make home movies with. it has 2 modes..wide and fullscreen...i use wide and the stuff i've made previous has turned out fine..noo issues except the last few times...i dunno if it was tmpg authoring works or i hit sumthin on the menu in the camcorder but its a little odd to say the least. I'm gonna try IfoAR2WS. I use pgcedit quite a bit but i don't know how to set the option to widescreen. It's a function in pgcedit i've nvr had to use. Is there a guide?

thanx
    Quote Quote  
  5. You don't need a guide as it's too easy to do, although I expect the good included help file will explain it for you. Open the DVD in PGCEdit, right-click on the video in question, and hit 'Domain Stream Attributes'. If it says 16:9 and Automatic Pan&Scan, change it to 16:9 and Automatic Letterbox. If that's the problem.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	StreamsAttributes.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	1765  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well the IfoAR2WS didn't work for it so I opened it up in pgcedit and oddly enough, both of those boxes were already ticked

Click image for larger version

Name:	dfgdfg.png
Views:	1012
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	1766

so now i uncheck the pan and scan checkbox?

@#$%* update...The PGCedit tip worked!!!!!thanx for your help manono
    Last edited by Moontrash; 9th May 2010 at 07:37.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You're welcome. You may also have your DVD player set up to output Pan And Scan. If so, change it also.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    well the IfoAR2WS didn't work for it so I opened it up in pgcedit and oddly enough, both of those boxes were already ticked

[Attachment 1766 - Click to enlarge]

so now i uncheck the pan and scan checkbox?

@#$%* update...The PGCedit tip worked!!!!!thanx for your help manono
    When both P&S and LB flags are set, your DVD player is supposed to select the rendering mode according to your preferences. So, I suspect a problem in the setup of your standalone player. Try to set it up again.

Selecting only one video mode in PgcEdit forces the player to use that mode anyway, regardless of the configuration of the player. Usually it's what you want for the movies, as normally only some DVD menus are authored with both flags set, and they are carefully designed for that purpose.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked in my video settings in my dvd player and you were correct r0lZ, it was set to 4:3 pan and scan. I changed it to 4:3 letterbox and it was widescreen. Thanx for that.

Quote Quote