VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    When I import an .AVI file of 350 MB, the output (on dvd) is 2,5 GB!

I'm sure I can do something to reduce that amount of space. Preferably
    to about 750 MB (instead of 2,5 GB) so I can put five of these files on
    one dvd.

Can someone please tell me how? Maybe I should convert the .AVI file
    in some program, before importing into Adobe Encore CS4...
    Kate: What's the big thing that happens every Monday at one o'clock?
    Tom: The dog outside the pub scratches itself...?
    Kate: The plane from Broken Hill arrives!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Encore is trying to turn your highly compressed avi file into something that is DVD compliant. That means, conversion to MPEG2 and ultimately VOB files for a workable DVD structure. If you want a small file, keep it compressed as a divx or xvid .avi; but just remember that there are few DVD players (especially the older ones) that will play .avi files (although you should be able to play the videos on your PC).

You can make a data DVD, skipping Encore, and just dropping the .avi files onto disc using Imgburn or Nero. Again, they are not likely to play on most standalone, set-top DVD players in .avi form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Encore will fit to disc. So if you put 5 of them on , it will reduce the bitrate of each so it fits to DVD5 capacity (the quality will be terrible). Your initial test showed a 2.5GB for 1 video, because it was maxing out on bitrate for top quality. That tells you right there if you put more than 2, the bitrate will be lower that you will get bad quality

In addition , it appears as if you are starting from a low quality , compressed xvid source already. When it re-encodes to MPEG2 for DVD , you lose even more quality. I would do what filmboss suggested and find a DivX compatible DVD player.
    Quote Quote