VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So here's my issue, I recently purchased some dvd's off barnes and noble.com. I live in australia by the way, didn't think at all the the dvd's may be in another region code because I thought if they where I could just play them on my ps3. So decided to watch it about an hour ago and it says the region code won't support it, I checked the dvd box and it says it's region 1, is there any way to change this at all so that my playstation will actually play them or am I just going to have to fork out the money to send the dvd's back? ( I really don't want to do that).

Also I don't really want to pull apart my playstation or anything as I'm not a tech person.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most people on here would make copies of the dvds and make them region free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do PS3 machines play "foreign" video formats like NTSC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The PS3 happily plays PAL and NTSC DVDs and Blurays, but is resolutely region locked. I have quite a few Region 1 discs as well. I just do a movie only rip to a new disc for PS3 playback (and upscaling)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony's PlayStation 3 is coded the same way as a regular DVD player in that it will only play DVDs produced in the same region as the PS3 itself. Australia is region 4 i believe and youre trying to play a region 1 disc.

Work around-copy the disc to the hard drive (legitimately as you own the disc) and make a region 0/region free copy. Plenty of guides and free apps here to do that.

Unlikely that the retailer will accept the discs back now that they have been unsealed so best option is above. Best of luck.
    Quote Quote