VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I could be wrong, but I think google is scanning peoples ports.

While trying to find info on GScript errors, my port got scanned. Anybody else seeing this ?

-vhelp 5372
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Google probably scans everything. Type in a post here, then you can find it less than an hour later in a Google search. It found this post seven minutes ago: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Is+Google+scanning+your+ports+%3F&btnG=...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I use Comodo and it blocks a lot of that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    haha.. very funny, how my post found its way at the top of that google search. Now it will be there, number 1 (probably) for ever! That was not my intension. Oh well. I suppose (I hope) when people scan ports that they can tell you are dialup and don't bother. I rarely even get 48k, more like 45k or aprox 3k d/l speed. On my internal pci model (viking) it used to always get 53k but i had to go with serial for space reasons at the time. Now, I just don' t care anymore.

-vhelp 5374
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you got notified you were being port scanned you ought to at least have the ip of the scanner. it won't turn out to be google, i'd bet the house on that.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not sure how to obtain that info, i'm using defender pro.

-vhelp 5375
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was watching a thing on tv about Google and how they keep logs on all of our searches and could find almost anything out about you just by what you've been searching in Google. On the show they said that sometimes they allow the FBI to use the information.

I can't remember the channel or network it was on but I think it was called The World Of Google or something close to that. It was a pretty interesting show.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Google certainly does not do any port scans on people's computers, if they did they would be caught red handed immediately. Port scans are very simple to detect with a firewall that logs blocked connection attempts, there's even software designed to detect port scans automatically and alert about them, snort (www.snort.org) for example.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    defender pro? ouch. most reputable stores won't even sell it as it's mostly a virus itself. resource hog, no support, not much protection, and extremely hard to get rid of off your computer. the free version of avast would be better and much cheaper.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote