VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,
    Does anyone know how to unlock the sony DAV-HDX589W dvd player.
    Can someone help me please, my kids want to watch movies from Europe too.

I appreciate,

Sam
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sony players have never been known to be "hackable".....and besides....movies from
    Europe
    are PAL format video....NJ and America are NTSC format video. "Region hacking"
    and video format (NTSC - PAL) are NOT related in any way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Hech54,
    From what you are saying I need to buy a multy system DVD player and a way to make it region free?
    Can you recommend a good brand DVD player for that?

Thanks,

Sam
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you need a DVD player capable of being made region free and being able to convert PAL video to NTSC. Well, there is some chance if you have an HDTV that your HDTV might be able to handle PAL signals, but don't count on it. Samsung HDTVs do not, for example. So you need the DVD player to convert PAL output to NTSC for the best chance of this working on any TV set you have.

Sony DVD players have for years been incredibly difficult to impossible to unlock. And while some years ago they were able to convert PAL output to NTSC even if you couldn't unlock them (region free PAL DVDs would play fine on them), I don't really keep up with Sony any more so I don't know if that's still true or not. At this point in North America, I'd suggest you look for either Philips or Pioneer as both typically can always convert PAL output to NTSC and I think both still make a few players that can be made region free, although I don't know which ones. You can probably find that information with a little internet searching or maybe someone else will make a suggestion. By the way, Sony has long stopped being a quality brand and for the most part I stay away from most of what they make. They are quite probably the most consumer hostile of all the major electronics manufacturers, which has led to some rather interesting schizophrenic corporate behavior where some parts of Sony are very pro-consumer and others believe that all consumers are nothing more than potential media thieves.

Finally, note that converting DVD players tend to be set to something called "ANY" or "MULTI" by default and this may not work for your TV. Set the video output to "NTSC" if "ANY" or "MULTI" gives you scrolling video in black and white when you play PAL DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    They are quite probably the most consumer hostile of all the major electronics manufacturers, which has led to some rather interesting schizophrenic corporate behavior where some parts of Sony are very pro-consumer and others believe that all consumers are nothing more than potential media thieves.

Finally, note that converting DVD players tend to be set to something called "ANY" or "MULTI" by default and this may not work for your TV. Set the video output to "NTSC" if "ANY" or "MULTI" gives you scrolling video in black and white when you play PAL DVDs.

Hahaha! Schizophrenic is it! Here in Saudi Arabia, ALL Sony DVD players bought off shelf are duly marked region 2, BUT are all region-free, and are multi-system in that whatever is on the disc will be what the output is (25 or 29.97fps). Sony will NEVER be able to sell any DVD player here strictly restricted to region 2 with rafts of other DVD players available (branded and otherwise) ALL region-free. The way it seems is, officially, the DVD players arrive at Sony outlets region-free, then they are supposed to be programmed/coded for region 2 before being sold. Sony centers couldn't be bothered to do so, no-one ever comes to inspect, and it doesn't hurt that we all in the end get region-free DVD players. How ironic that this should be the case here where media piracy is rife, compared with, say, North America where people are supposed to be less inclined to buy pirated stuff because that's where it all comes from originally, but region 1 is strictly enforced.
    Blu-ray players are a different case: Sony, along with all other top-tier brands are all ONLY region B for the BD part, but, yes you guessed it, the DVD part is region-free. Remarks from some people unfamiliar with the region-coding brouhaha border on the kvetch, like "region-free DVD is less illegal than region-free BD..."!
    BD/DVD players can have some interesting region-status combinations in other parts of the world. In Hong Kong, for example, a typical player will ONLY be region A for BD, but region-free for DVD. I guess a holy grail would be, a player with region-free BD, but only, say, region 2 DVD. Would anyone want to buy that? Would it be "more or less legal..."??
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote