VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just completed an exhaustive project in Premiere Pro. Basically I took two different edits of a movie and spliced them together to make one long extended edition.

I knew in advance that I had a problem: One of the MPEG2 sources was 23.976 progressive, and the other was a standard 29.97, with whatever processes were involved therein; I believe it was a DVD transfer of a VHS tape, so perhaps "pulldown" would be too generous.

The resulting video is, frankly, too juddery to watch.

Now what I have in mind is to take that 29.97 source and convert it into proper 23.976 (it was originally a film, just like my 23.976 source). Then I could do the editing in the 24fps world and the result ought to be quite acceptable. Trouble is I don't know where to begin.

Obviously I have one option to me: Render the whole thing as 480p at 59.94fps raw, and manually cut out every nth frame. I believe such an approach would sacrifice both my sanity and some 100 hours of my life. There has to be a better way.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check out dgindex. That has a pulldown option I believe. I know it works the other way 23.976 to 29.97 - I just did it this past weekend on a bluray to dvd conversion that was interrupted prior to final muxing. I have to imagine it goes the other way too.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. A VHS source would have hard pulldown so you need to inverse telecine. Use DgIndex to build an index file (honor pulldown flags mode) then open the video with AviSynth and use TFM() and TDecimate():

Mpeg2Source("filename.d2v")
    TFM()
    TDecimate()

Post a short sample with motion. DgIndex can trim out a small section and demux it.
    Quote Quote