VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

I was wondering if there is any way to embed subtitles to a single video file giving the option to the viewer to turn the subtitles on and off.

Simple question, impossible task most probably I know!

Thanks.
    A.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are we talking about DVD? If so, it is done all the time. You just need decent DVD authoring software that can mux the subtitles with audio and video streams and create menus to select subtitle options.

In the case of Divx/Xvid avi files, you can easily add subtitles and use the avi playback device to switch subs on and off.

This is everyday stuff; not impossible at all...if you're willing to take the time to learn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello and thanks for replying.

I'm only talking about a single video file, not DVD. And I definitely don't want the subtitles to be hard coded onto the video.

Also, I don't want to have a separate subtitle file to go along with the video.

So this is possible with AVIs? Could this be achieved with any other video format btw (mpg, wmv)?

Thanks again.
    A.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Easy peasy, happens all the time. Not possible with AVI (except the .DIVX flavor of it, if played on DivX-certified players). Instead, use MKV. You just mux the SRT/ASS subtitle file(s) together with the video and audio tracks. Each SRT/ASS file becomes a selectable subtitle track in the final MKV.

MP4 should be capable of the same but I'm not familiar with its supported subtitle formats. Don't know about MPG and WMV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's possible to embed subtitle streams in an AVI, yes. I used to embed .srt streams in AVIs all the time, primarily for use with my DVP-642 DVD player. Worked just like any normal switchable subtitle stream on that player, and all my computer-based players.

I've also seen .ass subtitles embedded in (and also working) in AVI files. Granted, hardly anyone ever does that, as they do work better in MKV files (as you can embed things like the necessary font files, for example), but it was still possible.

The AVI-Mux GUI 'Myths about AVI' page does explain a little about it. Somewhat.
    (I'm not recommending the use of AVI for softsub streams, necessarily, but it IS possible.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote