VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First let me say I do not make any money from the programs I am going to suggest or have any interest in their companies. The two programs are available as demos.

The following is just my opinion. I am an experienced computer user and programmer but know nothing of the makeup or coding of video files.

The easiest way to get a VOB to an MPG2 file with an MPG extention is to just change the extention name from VOB to MPG. It sounds crazy, but it works.

I also use Pinnacle Studio 9 sometimes for MPG editing and even that picky program recognizes the MPG files w/o problems.

If you want to just copy a DVD, or create the files on the HD, the best program out there right now I think is Ideal DVD Copy. If there is a problem, just send them the ifo files and they update the same day usually. I have done it twice and had solutions in a matter of a couple of hours.

If you want to mess with the files like I do for various reasons, here is how I do it.

Lets say you have a 2 hr and 45 min movie and you want to put it on a 8gb microsdhc for a portable video player. If you can not just copy the VOBs to the HD, the dreaded crc or other error, then use Ideal DVD Copy to do it. It has several options like to HD or save the files on HD at the same time it burns a DVD copy, etc.

Once the files are on the HD then go over to where the VOB files are and rename the filename extentions on the ones you are going to use from VOB to MPG. Yes, they will play just fine.

You do not have to do that for the next program because it recognizes both VOB and MPG.

The problem with some VOB files is the audio are not always set correctly even among the same set of files.
    On the large long movie I had Ideal DVD Copy write the files on the HD as a 2 disk set so I would not lose video quality.

When it did that the second file on the second disk defaulted to French instead of English for some unknown reason. I also had it make a 2 disk DVD set and it played english all the way through fine.

I then used a program called VideoReDo Suite to bring the now MPG files one by one into the program and used the Tool/Set Audio Stream to check/set the correct audio language for each MPG. Then added the video, in order, to the Joiner List.

Once all 8 MPG files were set and added to the joiner list I had the program save as a MPG2 file. It was a 6.9 gb file. Then just copy to the flash memory card.

A couple of nice things about VideoReDo Suite.

One, it is very simple thing to set the audio stream. I have tried to use some of these other free programs and it was near impossible for me to figure what was what in the IFO files. Just open the VOB or MPG file and select Tools/Set Stream. Instead of a whole page of audio info it just lists the few streams available for the file. Pick the one you want.

The second thing is it doesn't render the video. It joins the videos. It takes a lot less time since it doesn't render, and you do not lose quality.

The whole process with the adding files and checking/setting the audio stream plus the joining took about 20 minutes on the almost 7GB video file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or you could use the FREE vob2mpg to make a single a mpg from the dvd vobs...

And I hope you are not ideal dvd copy spammer. Instead of it you can use the FREE dvdfab decrypter and convert to portable format with the FREE handbrake. .
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, I am not a spammer of any kind. It is nice to know there are other programs out there doing some of the same things. I originally got interested in videoredo because it can automatically cut commercials.

I have seen so many posts on the internet concerning the wrong audio language default problem, with no solution, that I had to share. Hopefully this will show up on searches.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jake61 View Post
    Hopefully this will show up on searches.
    Indeed. Why just the other day my friend said to me "That program called Ideal DVD Copy is worthless , expensive , overpriced , useless , not functioning, not working , doesn't work on XP, can't recognize my drive , is a memory hog , slows down the computer , contains spyware and gave me the clap".
    I really told him off for saying that too let me tell you. He'll never say such things again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by jake61 View Post
    Hopefully this will show up on searches.
    Indeed. Why just the other day my friend said to me "That program called Ideal DVD Copy is worthless , expensive , overpriced , useless , not functioning, not working , doesn't work on XP, can't recognize my drive , is a memory hog , slows down the computer , contains spyware and gave me the clap".
    I really told him off for saying that too let me tell you. He'll never say such things again.
    Now that brought a ray of sunshine to an other wise crappy day
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote